What Tablet do you recommend?

tortex73

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I don't think the Surface 2 is worth getting at all. There just aren't enough apps available for RT to make it worthwhile. If you can afford an iPad, that's what I would get. It has amazing build quality, superb battery life, and the best selection of high quality apps. I've bought a new iPad every year since the first one came out and they just keep getting better and better. If that's out of the question, the Z2 tablet is a great Android tablet and you'll likely get more use out of it than the Surface 2. I have 4 tablets currently (iPad Mini Retina, Dell Venue 8 Pro, Surface Pro, 2013 Nexus 7), and the iPad gets the most use of the bunch. The Venue 8 Pro comes in second for me, and I highly recommend it if 8" is a big enough screen for you. They are dirt cheap (under $300 USD for the 64gb version) and run full Windows. Of all my tablets, I think the V8P is the coolest. There's just something about having a full-fledged desktop class computer in a 8" tablet form factor that feels super high tech to me.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I don't think the Surface 2 is worth getting at all. There just aren't enough apps available for RT to make it worthwhile. If you can afford an iPad, that's what I would get. It has amazing build quality, superb battery life, and the best selection of high quality apps. I've bought a new iPad every year since the first one came out and they just keep getting better and better. If that's out of the question, the Z2 tablet is a great Android tablet and you'll likely get more use out of it than the Surface 2. I have 4 tablets currently (iPad Mini Retina, Dell Venue 8 Pro, Surface Pro, 2013 Nexus 7), and the iPad gets the most use of the bunch. The Venue 8 Pro comes in second for me, and I highly recommend it if 8" is a big enough screen for you. They are dirt cheap (under $300 USD for the 64gb version) and run full Windows. Of all my tablets, I think the V8P is the coolest. There's just something about having a full-fledged desktop class computer in a 8" tablet form factor that feels super high tech to me.
I hhave to agree here. If you want apps, go for an iPad. There just aren't enough "tablet style apps" for Windows yet. If you must go Windows, go Surface Pro 3 or Dell Venue 8 Pro. I am a Windows tablet person myself but will admit the lack of quality apps hurts it as a tablet.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It all depends on what you want to do with it. If you're into sitting on the couch, consuming media and using apps, get an iPad. If your into being productive, while still being able to do all the above, go for a Surface Pro or similar. Depending on the tasks you're gonna do, you have to choose the hardware. Surface Pro and Pro 2 are doing a good job, but as I need to work with my device and write tons of lines of code on it, I went for a Surface Pro 3 as successor to my Surface Pro. Couldn't be any happier.
That being said, I don't see any point in Android tablets. Most apps aren't optimized for their resolution and aspect ratio, they're getting slow over time and you have to spend a considerable amount of time fiddling with it until it looks the way you like it. From my point of view: not by far worth a single penny.

shayanr

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
It all depends on what you want to do with it. If you're into sitting on the couch, consuming media and using apps, get an iPad. If your into being productive, while still being able to do all the above, go for a Surface Pro or similar. Depending on the tasks you're gonna do, you have to choose the hardware. Surface Pro and Pro 2 are doing a good job, but as I need to work with my device and write tons of lines of code on it, I went for a Surface Pro 3 as successor to my Surface Pro. Couldn't be any happier.
That being said, I don't see any point in Android tablets. Most apps aren't optimized for their resolution and aspect ratio, they're getting slow over time and you have to spend a considerable amount of time fiddling with it until it looks the way you like it. From my point of view: not by far worth a single penny.

Ipad can't run usb so I won't buy that..I was up for sony z2 tablet cuz its not too old and I don't want to buy a surface 2 because it has no apps..is surface pro really good enough in comparison to sony z2?

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Ipad can't run usb so I won't buy that..I was up for sony z2 tablet cuz its not too old and I don't want to buy a surface 2 because it has no apps..is surface pro really good enough in comparison to sony z2?

And there goes the no apps argument again. The store has rapidly grown in the past 2 years. More than any other comparable store for that matter. Yes, there certainly are many apps missing. But the core ones are available. Are Instagram, Snapchat and the likes really THAT important to our lives nowadays? Do we need these in order to feel complete? Do we need them in order to determine if a device is actually useful for us or not? This may depend on anyone individually, but what I expect a phone or a tablet to do is way beyond some stupid social networks flooded by some kids who obviously don't know what the hell to do with their time.
Even though I use quite a lot of apps on my Surface, I couldn't care less about the app store itself, since the majority of applications I'm using on a daily basis are desktop applications like PHPStorm, Visual Studio, Word, Outlook, Excel, Photoshop. Try these on that Sony XPeria Z. Oh wait, sorry. Not even available. ;)

I've said it before.. It all depends on what you expect from a device. If you want it as a convenient way to browse the web or killing some time while sitting on a couch, even a Kindle Fire HD might be appropriate enough. For me that's far behind what I want a tablet to be able to do.
The Surface Pro (3) is a full fledged computer, 10 point touch enabled (and with high precision too).. It's a monster, when it comes to pure specs. You won't find anything like it in this particular form factor. You could compare it to a MacBook Air. Which 1) doesn't even have a touch display, 2) has far less apps in its OS X store than Windows 8 had 4 months after launch, 3) has a sub par operating system (I admit that this one is something to argue about).

Geodude074

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
And there goes the no apps argument again. The store has rapidly grown in the past 2 years. More than any other comparable store for that matter. Yes, there certainly are many apps missing. But the core ones are available. Are Instagram, Snapchat and the likes really THAT important to our lives nowadays? Do we need these in order to feel complete? Do we need them in order to determine if a device is actually useful for us or not?

The Windows Store has grown rapidly in the past two years, but it's still way behind Apple and Google. If a basketball player makes 100% of his shots but only scores 2 points a game, would you pick him over another player who makes 75% of his shots but scores 20 points a game? The number of apps is what matters, not the percentage of growth.

And yes, to the millions of people who use Instagram and Snapshot, it really IS important in their daily lives. It's no coincidence that social media and smartphone/tablet usage exploded in growth at the same time. Smartphones allow you to always be connected to social media. If a phone does not have the social media app you use, why buy it when a different phone does?

To make a point, the MAIN reason why I bought my first smart phone (an Android phone) was because I wanted to play Angry Birds lol back when it first came out and everybody was talking about it. I wanted to experience what all the hoopla was about, and I'm sure I'm not alone. If I had to make a choice at the time between Android or WP7, I would have chosen Android, simply because of Angry Birds.

Last edited:

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
The Windows Store has grown rapidly in the past two years, but it's still way behind Apple and Google. If a basketball player makes 100% of his shots but only scores 2 points a game, would you pick him over another player who makes 75% of his shots but scores 20 points a game? The number of apps is what matters, not the percentage of growth.

And yes, to the millions of people who use Instagram and Snapshot, it really IS important in their daily lives. It's no coincidence that social media and smartphone/tablet usage exploded in growth at the same time. Smartphones allow you to always be connected to social media. If a phone does not have the social media app you use, why buy it when a different phone does?

Because that's not what I buy a phone or tablet for. If it has these apps, cool. If not? I couldn't care less. I use smartphones and tablets to help organize my life. Be it family or business. Social media is great, and I use it a lot, but I think many people out there overrate it. Instead of posting every piece of crap about their lives, they should probably focus on what's more important: spending time with those who matter most. In real life.

And that aside, the app argument is just not valid on a Surface Pro. You do have apps there, which is nice, but sporting a full Windows experience, you're free to install and do whatever you like. No borders, no boundaries.

Last edited:

emiel1976

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site
Lol the Windows 8.1 8" tablet replaced my android tablet all the way. I tried an iPad but the experience wasn't that good for me. Yes there are apps but oudsite gaming you use most of the time the browser, mail and do some typing and in those things the experience isn't that good compared to a Windows 8 tablet. You can see all the sites as they were ment to and watch all the videos on it instead only the few supported.
The Windows 8 tablet replaced my android tablet and did me make that I'm not even buy an other android or ios tablet.
Not Manny apps in windows 8? Try a mac and see how many apps you get there.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
And there goes the no apps argument again. The store has rapidly grown in the past 2 years. More than any other comparable store for that matter. Yes, there certainly are many apps missing. But the core ones are available. Are Instagram, Snapchat and the likes really THAT important to our lives nowadays? Do we need these in order to feel complete? Do we need them in order to determine if a device is actually useful for us or not? This may depend on anyone individually, but what I expect a phone or a tablet to do is way beyond some stupid social networks flooded by some kids who obviously don't know what the hell to do with their time.

Of course the Windows app store has grown rapidly in the past 2 years. It is by far the smallest and so as a percentage of apps, it is no great feat to be growing faster than the other ecosystem app stores. An app store than went from 100 apps to 200 apps in 2 years grew 100%, whereas an app store with 10,000 apps that grew by 1,000 apps over that same time grew by only 10%.

You come across as defending the Windows app store at the expense of passing judgment on other people. That is not helpful. If the app store doesn't have the apps that a person wants or needs for their device, then that simply makes the device a poor choice for that person.

Even though I use quite a lot of apps on my Surface, I couldn't care less about the app store itself, since the majority of applications I'm using on a daily basis are desktop applications like PHPStorm, Visual Studio, Word, Outlook, Excel, Photoshop. Try these on that Sony XPeria Z. Oh wait, sorry. Not even available. ;)
This comment invalidates your defense of the Windows apps store. If you don't even rely on the touch-enabled apps as the focus of your tablet usage, then you really don't know the extent to which the app store is deficient. For an overwhelming majority of people, tablets are a form-factor that specializes in touch interface. That is best experienced with touch-enabled apps.

I've said it before.. It all depends on what you expect from a device. If you want it as a convenient way to browse the web or killing some time while sitting on a couch, even a Kindle Fire HD might be appropriate enough. For me that's far behind what I want a tablet to be able to do.
The Surface Pro (3) is a full fledged computer, 10 point touch enabled (and with high precision too).. It's a monster, when it comes to pure specs. You won't find anything like it in this particular form factor. You could compare it to a MacBook Air. Which 1) doesn't even have a touch display, 2) has far less apps in its OS X store than Windows 8 had 4 months after launch, 3) has a sub par operating system (I admit that this one is something to argue about).
For someone who uses desktop applications for a majority of their Surface usage, you sure do mention touchscreens a lot. It's clear, you're a fan of the Surface Pro 3. That's great, enjoy it! But that kind of advocacy is not helpful for people looking to make an informed decision.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Of course the Windows app store has grown rapidly in the past 2 years. It is by far the smallest and so as a percentage of apps, it is no great feat to be growing faster than the other ecosystem app stores. An app store than went from 100 apps to 200 apps in 2 years grew 100%, whereas an app store with 10,000 apps that grew by 1,000 apps over that same time grew by only 10%.

You come across as defending the Windows app store at the expense of passing judgment on other people. That is not helpful. If the app store doesn't have the apps that a person wants or needs for their device, then that simply makes the device a poor choice for that person.

This comment invalidates your defense of the Windows apps store. If you don't even rely on the touch-enabled apps as the focus of your tablet usage, then you really don't know the extent to which the app store is deficient. For an overwhelming majority of people, tablets are a form-factor that specializes in touch interface. That is best experienced with touch-enabled apps.

For someone who uses desktop applications for a majority of their Surface usage, you sure do mention touchscreens a lot. It's clear, you're a fan of the Surface Pro 3. That's great, enjoy it! But that kind of advocacy is not helpful for people looking to make an informed decision.

That's because touch gestures are handy in desktop applications as well. I'm pretty much never using my mouse or track pad. I'm doing most of the stuff using a combination of keyboard shortcuts and touch gestures.
And considering the fact that the majority of social networks do have websites that work equally great with touch, there's just no need for dedicated apps, even though I admit that some are indeed useful. It's just not a major letdown, if there's no app for it.
The growth of the store I mentioned was not in comparison to any other amount of apps it had a certain time before, but compared to the growth of other stores in the very same amount of time. Neither the Google Play nor the Apple App Store grew as quick as the Windows Store does. And since the Surface Pro is still using a full Windows desktop OS, you might even want to compare its store to that available on Mac OS X. Which is laughable at best. If apps aren't an issue there because users can install whatever they want anyways, how come people try and make it an issue on Windows, where you do have the exact same freedom? To be more precise, there's a plethora of possibilities on Windows, where Mac OS X is still lacking behind. I couldn't think of a single program available for Mac OS X that is not available for Windows. Or at least something equally good.

Apps, that no doubt are crucial on mobile platforms like Android tablets and iPad or smartphones for that matter, become pretty much irrelevant on Windows tablets. If it's not for RT based ones, that is. And these have become a rarity these days. I wouldn't be surprised much, if they entirely disappear sooner or later.

So if users have any gripes with what they're able to do on a Windows based tablet, it's not the tablet's or OS's fault, but the fault of their very own users who have no idea of the capabilities and potential of the hardware they're using.

Geodude074

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
The percentage of growth or incremental growth of apps simply does not matter. What matters is the number of apps an ecosystem currently has.

apps.png

As of July 2014 there were 1.3 million apps in the Google Play Store, 1.2 million apps in the Apple App Store, and 255k apps in the Windows Phone Store. Even if the Google Play Store grew by 0% over the next year, and the Windows Phone Store grew a whopping 100% to 510k apps, it would still be WAY BEHIND in comparison to Google and Apple.

I have a Windows 8 tablet, but I don't use it for the apps lol. I use it for the Windows 8.1 OS experience.

However, devices like Windows RT or Windows Phone that rely on the Windows Store apps, they're going to suffer dramatically due to a shortage of apps.

emiel1976

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site
Why not buy an android or ios device as the apps amount is important for you?
Than how can you compare a full pc system with a limited mobile device?
Yes windows rt is like android or ios and that is why I hover chosen for a full windows 8 version. It gives me things that I can't get on android or ios.
I can go to websites that are not supported bin android and ios and watch programs that I missed on TV. Yes there are apps for in android, ios and windows but they have a limited amount of days you can go back in time and some programs never come in the app. Also it takes some times longer until they appear in the app.
And there are more sites that over much more than the apps they have.
Also I can run all my software that I use for building websites on my pc, on my tablet. I don't need to use a different app and I can run Photoshop and gimp that can do a lot more than you can do on any mobile device.
Aces my Nas server and everything on it much easier, print my documents and photo's as I do from my pc, control my scanner and I can go one like that.
And windows 8 has noting to complain about apps, the one that has to complain is the app store from osx. The few apps there are, are not from the quality as those from windows 8 and still people buy those systems. So apps don't say any thing, it is what you want to do with your system and than look what system offers you the most. For me is that a windows 8 tablet (not rt).
If you want to play games than it depends on what for games but than in most cases an android, ios or a game pc better. It depends what for games you want to play.
If you want to do work on a system than a windows system or in some cases an osx system is better.

Surface pro is better as you want to do the what heavier work and as you want to do some simpler work and don't need that much horse power, than a cheaper tablet is better. And than you must see what size screen you need to have to have.
A lot of work 13 inch is the best option. Work but not as main system 10 inch and 8 inch as you use it mainly to browse, mail and watch some video's.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon