What anti virus do you use ??

manus31

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
in the last year I've gone through a ton of antivirus programs.I have generally used avast free for years with little issue until it started to cause problems with a vmware application I needed to use.Since then I've tried avira.but I scrapped that last week when I got a bad Trojan,first I had in years.Im currently using bitdefender 2015 because I got a free 8 month licence,but I'm interested to know what antivirus people are using at the moment ? I usually go by av-comparatives recommendations and I prefer a free option

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Avast!'s free antivirus has served me well for years.

I've had stints where I got along fine with Windows Defender (Windows 8 - AKA Security Essentials) for basic protection, but I like the bigger toolbox and guns of Avast - but thats just me.

AVG is also a fine solution, but not one I've used personally yet.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've mostly used Avira (after lots of research on who provides the best free-ware AV and periodic reinvestigations to confirm what has changed). But recent versions seem to have issue if you aren't online for awhile. It gets fussy to update, etc.

I'm now using Windows Defender. I think they are much improved over where they were at and just after release.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Been using McAfee with DOS and Windows 95 and onwards until I made the switch to Avira on XP. Since Win 7 the only thing installed is security essentials. Tbh, there's no way to get any viruses or other malware, if you use a little common sense and just keep your eyes open.

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
I've used McAfee, Norton & Kaspersky over the years, but they were always dog slow. Now I use Windows Defender, touch-wood never had an issue and it doesn't slow my machine down...

G.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I've just been using the stock windows defender... I also practice safe surfing... If something looks fishy, I either don't click on it or open it on my phone.

Last edited:

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
The last AV I purchased was NOD32 a few years ago, but I have been perfectly happy since then with Microsoft's Security Essentials / Defender.

JohnStrk

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I've been using ESET NOD32 for years and it's great. Not a system resource hog like other products and never had an issue or virus with it. I usually save $$ in renewing it every year by buying a new version of it OEM from a really good Newegg.com sale. This year I got it for $10. :smile:

Stefan Holder

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I use built in Windows defender. Not much else needed really. I don't click every and any link on the net....
Sent from my Lumia 1320 all the way from Jupiter.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I've been using ESET NOD32 for years and it's great. Not a system resource hog like other products and never had an issue or virus with it. I usually save $$ in renewing it every year by buying a new version of it OEM from a really good Newegg.com sale. This year I got it for $10. :smile:
I started using ESET NOD32 several years ago upon recommendation from a friend who is Network Admin. I've never had issues with viruses, and it is lightweight, not a resource hog like Norton/McAfee.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte