Are you going to update your tablet to Windows 10????

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I created a separate partition for W10 and installed it today. Swanlee, you think 10061 is bad... it's a way better than previous version for interface. At least we could choose to loose the task bar in tablet mode this time.

Took me forever to figure out how to split screen apps in tablet mode, but I finally got it. Swipe down from top to get the top status bar, then press hold, move to one side. Not as easy as W8, but finally doable.

Still need some more tweaks in the background, it was constantly pushing the CPU and memory enough to always have the fan running on my SP3.

sashlon

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Well obviously I'll HAVE to update my SP3 to 10 in order to get any cool future features.

I just recently reverted back to 8.1 from 10. Its just too buggy (yes I know its a preview) and the touch UI is awful. They've really ruined it for people like me who have tablets.

There's cool stuff like Cortana and Spartan. I really like the Notification Centre and the MKV/FLAC support. So yeah, features wise it good.

But from a UI perspective, its a trainwreck.

I'm going delay updating as long as I can do without all the new features.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Ugg 10061 is another UI disaster on Tablets. MS is literally pretending Win 8 never came out and is instead trying to tweak the Win 7 UI for touch experience.

Win 7 on a tablet sums it up nicely, didn't totally get it until I saw this. The same poor tablet experience in Windows 7 is in 10 as exemplified by this pic, the taskbar looks totally out of place. Doesn't matter if you can hide it, the fact is they intend it to be used and that's the same UX from back when 7 launched in 2009 and shows a complete lack of progress in their thinking. And look at the space wasted by having the app list, I can see this taking on the ipad really well..... /s

c063fdcad5d19fa784e1ec66d951db42.png

Compared to:

55593b9f829127241b46cc4509b253d2.png

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Thought I'd make an observation regarding taskbars and the reverting to Windows 7. Unless you're going to completely disavow the desktop, Windows is not meant for any tablet less than 10.1" unless you have a stylus. The scaling is a pig that doesn't fly too straight (Tony Montana is a personal favorite of mine). I've read more than a few complaints about tablet mode being a mess and I can see what they mean, but the only way to make tablets function properly would be an all-touch interface and that defeats the purpose of unification. My only suggestion would be to stay on 8.1 and wait until W10 tablets ship to see how they fare. It's not much help but it beats being angry and raising your blood pressure.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I have no hope absolutely for touch and Windows 10. I am NOT upgrading any touch devices including my phone to 10. I don't understand why not just have WP10 OS on phone and tablets?

wtkidd1972

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
I used Windows Update to install the TP on my Lenovo Miix 2 8 tablet. Being in the fast lane, I've recieved two major updates since the original version of Windows 10 that I installed. The first two versions were not perfect by any means, but I did not expect them to be; the were, however, usable. I also want to point out that with all these updates I have preferred to use the desktop mode versus the tablet mode. I prefer the way Windows 10 treats the program and application windows with the tablet mode disabled.

With the latest 10061 update I have encountered a couple of show stopping issues.
1) The start menu, the action center, Cortana, nearly every element of the UI is now not working. Only the desktop icons and menu selections launch the intended applications. I have reviewed the Application log in the Event Viewer and they all seem to be blocked by parental controls. I know, that doesn't make any sense. Here is an example of what the error looks like:
"Activation of app Microsoft.Windows.CloudExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy!App failed with error: The operation was blocked by parental controls. See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional information."
2) The second issue is battery related. There is power drawn being from the battery even when the device is powered off. Even with a full charge, if I shutdown the tablet, then pick it up the next day to try to use it, the battery is completely drained. Not sure about this one either, doesn't make sense.

So I would think long and hard about updating your tablet. Me, I'm going to have to leave mine on AC power and pray that Automatic Updates will eventually install an update that corrects my issue, unless i can find a solution soon. Good luck if you decide to update. :)

Last edited:

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Thought I'd make an observation regarding taskbars and the reverting to Windows 7. Unless you're going to completely disavow the desktop, Windows is not meant for any tablet less than 10.1" unless you have a stylus. The scaling is a pig that doesn't fly too straight (Tony Montana is a personal favorite of mine). I've read more than a few complaints about tablet mode being a mess and I can see what they mean, but the only way to make tablets function properly would be an all-touch interface and that defeats the purpose of unification. My only suggestion would be to stay on 8.1 and wait until W10 tablets ship to see how they fare. It's not much help but it beats being angry and raising your blood pressure.

MS could quite easily make Win 10 function perfectly fine on tablets by just making the Tablet mode be more like win 8.1 and let Desktop mode be more like Win 10. Win 8.1 was really good for tablets so it is silly for MS to throw that all away especially now their are two different modes involved where MS can better design each mode to work best on each device type.

Right now keeping quiet about it certainly won't change anything.

Les Myers

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
I updated my tablet the other day. It's the UnBranded tablet form Best Buy. I put the windows 10 preview on it and it seemed to be ok. Then it crashed. Now when I power it on I come to the screen that I should be able to slide up and then log in. No, I cannot. It will not slide or move. My onscreen keyboard also will not pop up. I know the touch fucntion still works as I have tried to do a system restore and have to touch the options that are available on the screen but most require a password which I do have but can't type in due to a lack of keyboard. I have thought about buying a micro usb keyboard to see if this will help. Any other suggestions?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I updated my tablet the other day. It's the UnBranded tablet form Best Buy. I put the windows 10 preview on it and it seemed to be ok. Then it crashed. Now when I power it on I come to the screen that I should be able to slide up and then log in. No, I cannot. It will not slide or move. My onscreen keyboard also will not pop up. I know the touch fucntion still works as I have tried to do a system restore and have to touch the options that are available on the screen but most require a password which I do have but can't type in due to a lack of keyboard. I have thought about buying a micro usb keyboard to see if this will help. Any other suggestions?

Boot in Safe Mode is usually my first post-apocalyptic step.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk

Les Myers

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
I can get into the bios settings and i can use the volume up and down to navigate but it I am unable to move left and right so I can't select other tabs in the bios to get to that fucntion. I think I am gonna try the keyboard and see if that helps at all, I'll stop by here again Thusrday night or early Friday morning and let ya know how that went. Thank you fat_clue98.

josipogo

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
Already install it on Toshiba Encore, but must be frankly it is not some good experience. On my opinion in this case would be better possibility of installing Windows 10 mobile edition on it.

lantern20

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
I bought an HP Stream 7 for $79, to try the TP. Depending on how that goes will determine whether or not I'll be moving my Win81 tablets to Win10. Right now, based on the current release of the TP, I'll be staying on Win81 for my tablet. I don't think my wife will want Win10 on her SP3 just based on how Win10 looks/works now, but I guess we'll see soon enough.

brad4560

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
Just installed the latest preview on my HP stream 8. I was lucky no problems at all, little rough around the edges. But I'm excited to explore

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
I've had W10 on my DVP8 for about a month now. A bit rough, though my issues appear to have been fixed in the build Joe B. used yesterday. That's not the current Insider build. So I expect that we'll see MS Edge, a hideable apps pane, and the universal back button on the task bar with the next Insider build in 2-3 weeks.

It's better since they put Spartan/Edge in it. I had problems with Desktop IE in tablet mode. Most everything works pretty well right now with UI tweaks needed.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Is there a way to get it as in place upgrade without having to worry about drivers etc?
I tried it as an upgrade and it was just as good as the clean install. An added benefit is that you can do a rollback to 7 from BIOS and the 10 files are deleted.

Sent from my LG G3 via Tapatalk

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I tried it as an upgrade and it was just as good as the clean install. An added benefit is that you can do a rollback to 7 from BIOS and the 10 files are deleted.

Sent from my LG G3 via Tapatalk

What tablet was this? No way was it on one of those with compressed OS. They are the most painful ones to try W10 on.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
What tablet was this? No way was it on one of those with compressed OS. They are the most painful ones to try W10 on.

They were Windows 7 slates. One was a Motion Computing LE1700 and the other was a Fujitsu Stylistic ST5112. I love active digitizers, what can I say? Even though both have Intel LAN boards, the drivers are not there yet for some reason. That's the only reason I rolled back to 7. I'm typing this on a HP TC1100 with W7. Love it!!!! Even this prehistoric relic will be able to get 10 even though it doesn't have WDDM. At least that's what nVidia says.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750