College Laptop

SeaIlluminate

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
I wasn't sure where to put this, but I think here is the best.
I was looking at computers for college in the fall and I wasn't sure whether to pick an ultrabook or a convertible. Someone recommended an Surface Pro, but I don't know. I've been pretty enamored about the Acer Aspire S7 393... please input your opinions

SeaIlluminate

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Word processing, note taking, occasional video or movie. Lots of web surfing and portability will be a big factor. Maybe one or two games like the Sims, but that's not important.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Man I want that budget!

But anyways, if you want a conventional laptop and won't do heavy gaming (like Planetside 2, Battlefield 4 caliber things), I'd recommend a business-class Lenovo ThinkPad or Dell Latitude.
Those business-grade PC's are generally better built and easier to repair should bad things happen, which is something I personally prefer.

If it were me, I'd either get a pen-enabled 2-in-1 like the ThinkPad Yoga or Venue 11 Pro or a more conventional laptop/ultrabook + docking station.

But that choice of laptop you already brought up is fine. There isn't really a definitive one-size-fits-all PC.

SeaIlluminate

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Thank you, I did look at the Yoga line and its just that there's so many options, its hard to know. Now that Dell has its infinity screens, they also look appealing. I'll think about it a bit more and any other opinions are welcome.

someone2639

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Man I want that budget!

But anyways, if you want a conventional laptop and won't do heavy gaming (like Planetside 2, Battlefield 4 caliber things), I'd recommend a business-class Lenovo ThinkPad or Dell Latitude.
Those business-grade PC's are generally better built and easier to repair should bad things happen, which is something I personally prefer.

If it were me, I'd either get a pen-enabled 2-in-1 like the ThinkPad Yoga or Venue 11 Pro or a more conventional laptop/ultrabook + docking station.

But that choice of laptop you already brought up is fine. There isn't really a definitive one-size-fits-all PC.

ThinkPad yoga fits the bill for my requirements (similar to OP).

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Your budget significantly exceeds your needs. That's a good thing.

Small/svelte: XPS 13, HP Spectre x360, Macbook Air, Surface Pro 3 (SP4 this Summer). Those are my four picks. Forget Lenovo, and do yourself a solid and forget about the Acer too (it doesn't even have a dedicated row of F-keys).

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Can you explain why not Lenovo? Beyond Superfish.

Personally, I think their ThinkPads are well-made (albeit perhaps not as they used to be under IBM) and their IdeaPad's are competent.

I would avoid HP PC's - their quality has been often questionable in my eyes for much of my time on the planet, and if unavoidable, use business-grade HP laptops.
I'm not a big fan of Dell consumer laptops, but I think they're turning/they've turned it around.

You certainly have room in the budget to splurge on supporting accessories, so I'd check those out too.

SeaIlluminate

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Thanks, I'll keep everything in mind when I have to decide. Anyhow, I'll have to take a look at them in August. New models are being released soon, might as well wait and see before deciding.

Skylake is coming soon, do you think a Skylake or a Broadwell processor would be better? Someone told me Broad well because we already know that it works and is more reliable, but Skylake will improve processing and battery life...

someone2639

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, I'll keep everything in mind when I have to decide. Anyhow, I'll have to take a look at them in August. New models are being released soon, might as well wait and see before deciding.

Skylake is coming soon, do you think a Skylake or a Broadwell processor would be better? Someone told me Broad well because we already know that it works and is more reliable, but Skylake will improve processing and battery life...

Skylake is a whole new process, unlike broad well, which was an upgrade to haswell.

thatdennis

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site

I personally would say avoid Acer brands, have a bad history with them and they are usually on the lower rungs when it comes to ratings. Asus has great choices, but for that budget I would say just get a Razer Blade, would last you long and you won't complain of any performance issues.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster