What your thoughts on tablets that are not brand name?

ppardi

Mar 24, 2015
Visit site
What your thoughts on tablets that are not brand name? E.g iRule, Pronto Tec, etc. that cost less than $100 and have a good operating system and basic processor that he brand names have?

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
My thoughts? Avoid them. Ultimately they're not worth the money. If it isn't a hardware design/manufacturing defect (like the buzzy headphone jack on the Insignia Flex 8) it will be the meager storage (no company should be allowed to sell a 16GB Windows 8 tablet).

My advice is to keep an eye out for deals on better known names.

Celldweller97

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
What your thoughts on tablets that are not brand name? E.g iRule, Pronto Tec, etc. that cost less than $100 and have a good operating system and basic processor that he brand names have?

Could you give more examples of those brands or cheap pc's im in a current need of one of those.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
For me....i don't think I will own a non surface tablet or computer. But for my mother who is not tech oriented, I don't mind it. Or a grandparent or small child. Next book seems to be rather decent.

Though they are all brand names. Just some are far more well known and others are obscure.

davidofmidnight

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
At less than $100 I consider them "Disposable." They may work for a while just fine, then get buggy or slow. Or they can last for years. Electronics, you know :eek:rly:

HP has their inexpensive Slates, and Dell can have deals on their site (or their Outlet.) They may be a little more, but their brands do come with some semblance of customer service is things start out badly for you.

chuckdaly

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
There are some very attractive windows tablets from asia, be it the Pipo W3, Notion Ink Cain, Teclast X98 Air or the Onda V919. None of those I mentioned are less than $100. You can probably get away with 7" android tablet in that price range, but not one running windows with 2gb ram.

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
My thoughts tend to be negative. I've found that you tend to get what you pay for. In this case a 100 dollar tablet won't net you much. I'd rather spend up, and get better hardware. There is always cost cutting going to somewhere to get you that price.

webkrawler

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
There are good, bad, and ugly out there.

Just do your research.

If you want to know what I just came into...

Found a NEW 10.1 inch IRULU Windows 8.1 tablet on Ebay for $215 last week (though now they are $279) and I was intrigued with the specs. I went to Amazon and read all the reviews AND I went to Youtube and found about 5 videos talking about it including unboxing and people actually using the tablet. Good reviews and good videos.

I bought the tablet and it's actually pretty GREAT! Exceeded my expectations.

You should be able to find enough info out there on any tablet you want to buy. Just do the research.

Chris Erbeck

May 9, 2015
Visit site
I received the Nextbook 8" tablet with Windows 8.1 for Christmas. All in all it's an amazing little device. Under 100$, has mini SD, bluetooth, mini-HDMI, etc. Great for surfing web, watching vids, sound is good with quality earbuds. As for as being a replacement for a PC? No. It did come with Office 365 so I can work on documents, etc while traveling.
Here's the drawback so far, I cannot upgrade to the Windows 10 Insider Preview. The reason is that in order for Windows 8.1 to be installed on a tablet like this, the OS had to be compressed. When trying to upgrade, the compressed Operating System tries to move to a Windows.old folder and leaves no room for the new OS to be installed uncompressed. Rest assured, Microsoft is working on it, the company seems to be really reaching out to the users, taking the feedback from the Insider Program to make the finest quality product possible.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Here's the drawback so far, I cannot upgrade to the Windows 10 Insider Preview. The reason is that in order for Windows 8.1 to be installed on a tablet like this, the OS had to be compressed. When trying to upgrade, the compressed Operating System tries to move to a Windows.old folder and leaves no room for the new OS to be installed uncompressed. Rest assured, Microsoft is working on it, the company seems to be really reaching out to the users, taking the feedback from the Insider Program to make the finest quality product possible.

It can be done but would need a clean install. That means one has to first backup the recovery partition in case they want to roll back later. If you're not comfortable with doing it then I guess its better to wait till W10 is publicly released.

webkrawler

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm in no hurry for Windows 10 on my tablet. It only has a 32gb SSD drive.

I think Windows 8.1 is spot on for a tablet and I don't think Windows 10 is going to make the tablet experience any better though it will make the desktop experience better.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb