Looking for a laptop/tablet, any thoughts appreciated

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
My wife currently has a non touch screen Toshiba laptop with an AMD 1 gig processor (Didn't realise it was such a low spec machine, time flies in the tech world) and a Surface 2.

Maybe time to upgrade ?

She does appreciate the "Proper" keyboard on the laptop when doing Tesco orders or buying train tickets compared to the Surface 2, but she does tend to use the Surface 2 more for playing music, general stuff etc.

I can really see the appeal of one device especially as my wife isn't the most technically minded person in the world.

She also has a WP 830 and her own Xbox One, so I am minded to consider the Surface 3 and tie it with a Logitech keyboard (With track pad) rather than the Surfaces own keyboard.

I have the Surface pro and the touch pad, but very rarely use it as a serious typing tool, so I don't think that is an option.

Her laptop has a 15 inch screen and to be honest I reckon a decent screen is a good option, the Surface Pro is a bit small when you put a keyboard in front of it and use it has a laptop/desktop.

So what are my options, the Surface 3 or some kind of two in one.

All suggestions welcome.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Surface Pro 3?

12 inch 2k display
Up to 512gigs of storage, up to 8 gigs of ram

It can be a tablet one minute, a laptop the next, and then if you hook it up to a monitor and desktop keyboard you'll have a desktop the very' next minute.

But the 512gb surface pro 3 is quite pricey, but it comes in lower spec'd models

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Cheers for the replies.

Surface Pro a bit pricy and I have one issue with the Surface range and that is the often quoted lap-ability, we have two Surfaces so know the issues, with the keyboard on you don't have the stability of a full laptop, the keyboard doesn't support the Surface so you need the stand and this causes movement, my wife likes to sit on the bed or on the settee to do the laptop stuff. Not ruling out a Surface 3 (Probably have ruled out the Surface Pro although the larger size is it's strong point in this situation).

Acer Switch is probably heading to a bit under powered and small (You could say that about the lower spec Surfaces), would prefer a slightly larger screen and maybe an i5 processor.

The Acer Laptop hits all the specs but is only a laptop, and I would probably then be in the market to replace the Surface 2.

We have to really as I have just got all our family Skyped up and the app version of Skype on the Surface 2 is crap but would prefer just one device.

More suggestions welcome as I am still in the thinking stage looking for the ideal single device but don't wont to spend a fortune.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
The Surface 3 Pro has great lapability IMHO... I don't know about the regular Surface 3, as it has a limited kickstand

Geodude074

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Cheers for the replies.

Surface Pro a bit pricy and I have one issue with the Surface range and that is the often quoted lap-ability, we have two Surfaces so know the issues, with the keyboard on you don't have the stability of a full laptop, the keyboard doesn't support the Surface so you need the stand and this causes movement, my wife likes to sit on the bed or on the settee to do the laptop stuff. Not ruling out a Surface 3 (Probably have ruled out the Surface Pro although the larger size is it's strong point in this situation).

Acer Switch is probably heading to a bit under powered and small (You could say that about the lower spec Surfaces), would prefer a slightly larger screen and maybe an i5 processor.

The Acer Laptop hits all the specs but is only a laptop, and I would probably then be in the market to replace the Surface 2.

We have to really as I have just got all our family Skyped up and the app version of Skype on the Surface 2 is crap but would prefer just one device.

More suggestions welcome as I am still in the thinking stage looking for the ideal single device but don't wont to spend a fortune.

Sounds like you want something like an Asus T300 Chi or Dell Venue 11 Pro. Core M has the performance of a Core "i4", better than the i3 but not as good as the i5. The Surface Pro is the only 2in1 device with a Core i5 I know of, correct me if I'm wrong. I know Wacom makes a Surface-like device with a Core i5, but I don't know of any others off the top of my head.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
The best advise you can get is this......

Read what people here say, then go o a box store like Staples ( or the UK version, saw you typed Tesco ), tinker with the display models and you will find what fits your needs.

I am not trying to be a smart ar$e here, but in truth this is something you do by feel and sight. Your gut will let you know once you have had a hands on with a unit.

When I went off in search a good cheep Tablet, I read here and then went to the store and played with the models people said were good. However what fits for person A may not work for person B. That is where your hands and eyes come in, to find what fits for your needs.

I ended up with an Acer W3, even though everyone and their brother bashed on it for it's screen. It fit my needs and worked for my eyes and felt good in the hands.....and once it is connected to a 37" to 60" TV the lower quality screen issue goes away :)

Any way I tend to like things in the budget price range, but you may have more needs then budget.

Just don't buy until you have looked and tinkered with it before!!!!

Good luck

Maybe also look at Surface 3, and just tack on your touch cover from the SP3 as they are universal.

Last edited:

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I think I have come up with a short term solution to a couple of issues.

I am currently using my laptop as a 10 tester, but to be honest I hardly ever use it apart from that as my desktop and Surface Pro are just so much more convenient (And faster), so my wife can have that one (Touch screen and more powerful anyway), and that will cut me down to four devices so I don't get annoyed about not having Xbox Music on every device :smile:

Then I can wait several more months to see what's around the corner. Again many thanks for the replies, it helps to go through the options with other ideas.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Whoops, just went into a "Cash converter" shop with my mate who was looking at guitars.

And came out with a Surface Pro 3 i5 with 128g for ?400 in perfect condition.

So my wife can now have my laptop and my Surface Pro (also i5 with 128) and every one is happy.

With probably the exception of the wife who doesn't like spending money.

And the Surface 2 can live in the kitchen as a media device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss