Your Experience with W10 on Tablets?

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
I dislike the Windows 10 update. Web browsing has become a pain. The Edge browser is not as good as Modern Internet Explorer. Worse bookmarks, no swipe back gestures, and bad toolbar font scaling. Chrome is suffering from toolbar scaling problems as well. My browser of choice is now desktop Opera. -.-

IdaSox

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I also have an 8" VivoTab. It took a few hours, but i'm finally getting used to it. I only have two big issues with it:

1. OneDrive integration is a huge step back. You have to download your entire OneDrive library in order to sync. Even if I was willing to do that, it's impossible on a tablet with limited memory. You can map it as a network drive, but thats really clunky and almost impossible to use on my tablet.

2. I hate Edge for tablets. Theres no more gesture controls and if you're in desktop mode the onscreen keyboard has to be manually opened. I tried Chrome and it actually runs a lot better on Windows 10 than it did on 8.1. Plus it has gesture controls and the keyboard automatically opens on both tablet and desktop mode.

HidingTrouble

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
I rolled back to 8.1. I gave 10 a shot but it's just not as good as 8.1 is on tablets. For me it comes to display scaling. To make Windows 10 usable on my Surface Pro I had to scale it to 150% but that is too big for when I'm using it as a laptop. I found myself switching the scaling whenever I went from desktop mode to tablet mode and having to sign out and in every time. I tried to get used to it and work around it. I put the taskbar on auto-hide then use it like a Charms bar that was just at the bottom instead of the side which helped. The other problem that I had was that it would apply that 150% to my remote desktop connections. Windows 10 is awesome on a desktop but it still needs some work in tablet mode.

Roy Khoh

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
:eck:
Cumbersome in getting 2 apps side by side, with no way of getting 3 side by side (if someone can show me an easy way of getting 2 side by side, please show!!)

I think cumbersome just doesn't quite describe this aspect.
In Desktop mode, it's easy to snap apps to the side.
In Tablet mode it's difficult, annoying, almost there and snaps back to full screen.

I've tried to figure out if there's a specific location my finger should be, length of time, flicking action.
Best attempts seem to be when I flick all the way to the top-right or top-left corners rather than middle left/right.

What I've found though, is it seems to be application specific. Desktop applications snap as expected (Tested with Word 2013 and Control Panel). "Money" snaps okay until I open about 6 apps. Edge is probably the main app I'd like to snap. (Desktop) Internet Explorer snaps fine, too.

DV8Pro

Last edited:

coolj40041

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
Some issues I have with W10:

1. Upgrading from Win8.1 my new account no longer had admin rights. I looked on the internet and found out you have to log in as a local user, which automatically gives you admin rights, then log back into your MS account and that carries your admin rights with you. Took a lot of time to figure that out.

2. You cannot move your OneDrive files to your SD card. You could in Win8.1. After upgrading, I only had about 11GB left on a 64GB drive on my tablet. But with my OneDrive files synced offline, I only have 3GB. Again I looked online, but the only tip I found was that in order to change file location, you have to unlink and relink OneDrive so that you go through the OneDrive setup screens again...but still, cannot use SD Card as a OneDrive location...even with admin rights.

3. You have to have admin rights to use the disk cleaner, if you want to delete your windows.old folder (my solution to getting more HD space. And yes, I made an image of my Win8.1 setup before I upgraded, just in case). So again, I had to take a bunch of time to figure out how to resolve my #1 problem.

4. There is an option in the Settings-System-Storage menu to download apps to another drive other than c: ...but it's greyed out. uhm...why? Also, when there are other options to save new stuff like docs, pictures, music, and videos to the SD card...that works fine...except it seems to default back to c: by itself for some reason.

5. Mail app doesn't seem to be working for any of my accounts. No email is downloading, even though I'm signed into my accounts. I still have to look on the internet to see if I can figure out why...but there is only so much time I have to devote to this in the last 3 days I've had Win10 installed.

6. So many buttons!! For a tablet?! The main concept for using a tablet was to swipe this, swipe that, with minimal amount of buttons. I just looked at my friends Ipad (because something was wrong with it and they needed my help), and it looked simplistic by nature. I'm sorry but simple always wins out with the masses. for example Look at common appliances in your house. Take a washer and dryer...most have simple buttons and dials. Sure there are people who know how to take it apart and figure out how to fix it and how each component works, but not the masses. Simple buttons and dials wins out, and they will come and buy it. Win8.1 was rather simple looking compared to Win10. Sure IPad is even more simple looking, but my wife (who is no computer expert) was able to learn Win8.1 after some simple tutelage for me, and configuring her 8.1 tablet to work better for her (Move her OneDrive folder to the SD card, as an example). I'm looking at Win10 and thinking to myself "How am I going to teach her this?" Fortunately, MS has a year to clean it up before I may upgrade her tablet with the free upgrade. But if MS doesn't clean it up better, maybe I prefer leaving her at win8.1. Remember folks, your tablet will probably be replaced before Win8.1 support is dropped.

In conclusion, I think Win10 looks promising. The above items could be fixed, conceivably, within the free year upgrade. But, typical of all Windows releases, not quite ready for primetime, but good enough if you are computer savy and can spare the hardware to install this on and play with a not-quite-there-yet OS.

Last edited:

-dunn

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
Upgrade went fine without any issue on my Samsung Ativ 3

Overall I like it, however 2 things of note:

1) Battery life is noticeably worse with Windows 10. Not sure if it's out of the box configuration with running tiles, but with Windows 8.1 I could leave my tablet idle for 2-3 days on a single charge. With Windows 10 I've noticed battery only lasts a day.

2) Edge browser still feels buggy and isn't a polished product.

Other than that, pleased with the upgrade

Roy Khoh

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
1) Battery life is noticeably worse with Windows 10. Not sure if it's out of the box configuration with running tiles, but with Windows 8.1 I could leave my tablet idle for 2-3 days on a single charge. With Windows 10 I've noticed battery only lasts a day.

Do you have the Skype (Desktop) application running?
I think mine wasn't lasting that long because of that, so I removed it. Skype on my Lumia 930 is good enough.

zerospace-net

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I prefer the tablet experience on 8.1 so far. Things I dislike in windows 10 on a small form factor tablet (I have it on my Stream 7):

1) No back/forward swiping in Edge. I miss metro IE because of this.

2) Too much desktop-style UI on a tiny tablet screen makes usability horrific, IMHO. I have tiny fingers and yet sometimes I still can't accurately function in File Explorer to access files on OneDrive (and stupidly, I can only access the files I chose to sync thanks to the missing placeholders. ARGH. I used to use this feature to scroll through my photos directly uploaded to OneDrive from my phone without actually having to copy them so that I could share them with friends or family quickly and easily. ) I miss the metro OneDrive app terribly. I feel like MS compromised with the Win8.1 haters a little too much here. I don't use a mouse and keyboard with my HP Stream 7 and yet some actions almost feel like they are required, whereas I was perfectly fine on 8.1 thanks to metro apps with big buttons.

3) Fast app switching. Ok, so this isn't just on tablets, but the flicking from the left edge to quickly swap between apps is something I miss a lot already. This was a feature I rarely used in desktop mode, but when I had my Surface Pro 3 as a tablet or my Stream 7 in hand, I used it a lot.

4) Touchscreen gestures in general. So many of them are gone! I really really like the new action center, but I feel like it replaced too many of the intuitive gestures that Win8.1 had that were SO helpful on a touchscreen. I suppose I should be thankful that they kept the app closing swipe down from the top gesture. That might have been the nail in the coffin for me that may have kept me on 8.1 indefinitely.

As it stands, I'm waiting on upgrading my Surface Pro 3 to Win10. IMHO, MS still has some work to do before I commit to their new OS.

LA6507a

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm liking Tablet mode on my SP3 but when watching a full-screen YouTube video or drawing in OneNote (leaning on the screen in onenote I always hit that start button), that taskbar is extremely annoying. But other than that it's good.

If you go into the Pen settings, there is a toggle switch to turn off the Windows button but I think it globally switches it off as opposed to autodetecting when you are holding the stylus and intelligently managing that toggle.

LA6507a

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I miss the WIndows 8.1 touch gestureson the OS level and in both browsers (legacy IE & Edge), I find the buttons incredibly small and I don't like this implementation of OneDrive. I went crazy trying to figure out where all of my folders were even though I had sync'd...Anyway, it works pretty great as a desktop OS but the Tablet experience has got to be improved for touch users.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Wonderful on my Surface. If there were anything I'd change, it'd be how apps are closed when in the tablet mode's task selector... and I'm gonna need those swipe gestures from Windows 8's modern IE integrated into Edge at some point and time.

There's things I'm not used to being where they are, but I've already found out enough to feel no regret about wiping the backup.

Last edited:

Cruncher04

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I rolled back on my SP3. The tablet experience is a bad joke compared to Windows 8.1
Just a few points:
1) tablet mode is cluttered with desktop UI elements. With 8.1 i can do everything with swipes from left and right and have most of the stuff within reach of my thumbs with the perfect size, position and hitbox. If i want to go desktop, i would press the desktop tile...which is missing in Windows 10
2) no charms bar this means:
2.1) no quick peak time, connectivity and battery status
2.2) no share option
2.3) no print option
2.4) no play-to option
2.5) no miracast option ( i know there is an equivalent in info-center)
2.6) no apps specific settings...instead now the app seems to be responsible for settings...for lots of modern UI apps i cannot access setting anymore. As consequence there is no common place for app settings anymore.
3) task view shows all running apps not just modern UI apps. I do not want to see desktop apps in tablet/modern UI mode.
4) task view and managing screen split with left thumb swipe seems to be gone as well. Instead i have the task view filling up the whole screen, not reachable with the thumb. Certainly good for mouse control but such UI design paradigm belong to the desktop.

Overall the elegance of how Windows 8.1 let the (tablet) user control the system is completely gone. The thumb gestures and charms concept, which gave Windows 8.1 an edge over the competition from Android and iOS is completely scrapped. Instead i am seeing desktop UI elements filling up my screen.
In fact what they call tablet mode today, is just the desktop with all windows being set to full-screen and tiles replacing the desktop icons. They completely scrapped all the clever design paradigms and guidelines for tablet users, which they introduced with Windows 8.

I cannot express my disappointment with Windows 10 on tablets enough. That is not one step backwards but 5 steps.

Stefan Holder

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I gotta say that Windows 10 is disappointing on small tablets. Tablets that are 8"/7" are not ideal for this OS. I mean, it'll install and run, yes. But Windows 10 is more encompassing to desktop, keyboard and mouse use. Touch optimizations to the UI has taken a step back for usability on tablets. Tablet mode is a joke really. Its there to get the job done yes, but tablet mode is an afterthought. I've had this OS on two HP Stream 7 tablets and the more i use the tablets the more I realize just how inferior the tablet mode is compared to Win8.1. I'm seriously thinking of rolling back to 8.1 on these tablets. I think Microsoft was right to say that going forward, small tablets will run Windows Mobile 10 instead of full x86 Windows 10.

Ivan05il

May 3, 2013
Visit site
W8 was very ambitious as for touch. We got gestures, new controls optimised for touch. It felt very natural on a touch device, even that despised charm bar. That was all chucked in a bin and we get just buttons to tap on. It's very pedestrian now, mouse users had won.

tedwud

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Unfortunately I disagree. I have it on my desktop and it is great but on a tablet this is so much worse than 8.1. 8.1 has a fantastic ui and is totally misunderstood. Windows 10 caters for the desktop which was seriously needed but I highly recommend that if you have a tablet you should stick with 8.1 due to the fact it is so much more intuitive. Your tiles and app selection is far simpler. Plus they have destroyed the way onedrive works which is ridiculous considering most tablet come with a year 365 and 1tb of storage.
I have upgraded twice to get into w10 and both times rolled back to 8.1 and now convincing myself it is to stay with 8.1 which is hard considering it is a free upgrade.
Be warned try it by all means but you will want to roll back pretty soon after you install on your tablet without a doubt. On a desktop it is absolutely brilliant but NOT on a tablet that you will want for speed and simplicity. Trust me you should see these as different devices which is a real shame as Microsoft is trying to create a complete ecosystem. Take a look at ios, its the same no matter. However ios is not a completely capable system regarding files managers etc.
This is a real shame as I'm afraid the phone, laptop, tablet, desktop seamless ecosystem is unfortunately not quite there. The problem is people complained so much about w8 and the start button crap they have purely focussed back on desktop only and is a step backwards.
Stay on w8.1 on tablets and just accept how good it is, this is similar to people who stayed on w7 when 8 came out. You will feel relief when you roll back to 8.1 from 10 on your tablet, trust me. Maybe I'm on my own with this, who knows.

JamesDax

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately I disagree. I have it on my desktop and it is great but on a tablet this is so much worse than 8.1. 8.1 has a fantastic ui and is totally misunderstood. Windows 10 caters for the desktop which was seriously needed but I highly recommend that if you have a tablet you should stick with 8.1 due to the fact it is so much more intuitive. Your tiles and app selection is far simpler. Plus they have destroyed the way onedrive works which is ridiculous considering most tablet come with a year 365 and 1tb of storage.
I have upgraded twice to get into w10 and both times rolled back to 8.1 and now convincing myself it is to stay with 8.1 which is hard considering it is a free upgrade.
Be warned try it by all means but you will want to roll back pretty soon after you install on your tablet without a doubt. On a desktop it is absolutely brilliant but NOT on a tablet that you will want for speed and simplicity. Trust me you should see these as different devices which is a real shame as Microsoft is trying to create a complete ecosystem. Take a look at ios, its the same no matter. However ios is not a completely capable system regarding files managers etc.
This is a real shame as I'm afraid the phone, laptop, tablet, desktop seamless ecosystem is unfortunately not quite there. The problem is people complained so much about w8 and the start button crap they have purely focussed back on desktop only and is a step backwards.
Stay on w8.1 on tablets and just accept how good it is, this is similar to people who stayed on w7 when 8 came out. You will feel relief when you roll back to 8.1 from 10 on your tablet, trust me. Maybe I'm on my own with this, who knows.
Well iI disagree with you. I like tablet mode on windows 10 just fine. To each his own.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon