Windows 10 overheating HP laptop

Scott Sutton1

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
Ill give it a shot thank you, its really brutal especially if I have speakers or another monitor attached it feels like its going to as you said "melt" not to mention it does not hibernate at times when I close the laptop Ill come back to find it so hot I have to remove the battery etc my laptop never did any of this before the update to win10 (which I over all like) but it definitely messed with some settings that I feel will send my laptop to an early death :(

davidyes

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I updated to Windows 10 from Win. 7 on a HP laptop several years old. Previously, I could not get the sound to work and the laptop got extremely hot requiring a mobile fan to go underneath. Now I have sound and the laptop does not heat up, so I removed the fan. A few other problems also resolved with Windows 10; I had to instruct it not to do Tablet (in settings) in order to get back my usual desktop. So I am happy with Windows 10.

Scott Sutton1

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
Ive had the same issue as everyone my laptop almost melting being too hot an it started only after win 10 upgrade

I just found this maybe it will work for everyone

.youtube.com/watch?v=PZNRtRiLG-0&ab_channel=Iviewgle

JChapman1729

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
Got a cat? I discovered a possible cause for HP laptop overheating when I had to completely dismantle a HP Pavilion to replace a power supply socket and screen cable. Between the cooling fins and the fan I found a wad of cat hair blocking the air flow. It can't be shifted by using canned air or a vacuum cleaner hose on the air intake vents.

To remove it is a major dismantling project - not something to be lightly undertaken. Scott's post above shows the problem about 8 minutes into the video.

Without dismantling the laptop it might be possible to use stiff fishing line poked into the exhaust vents while at the same time using a vacuum cleaner hose on the air intake.

Last edited:

skaneria007

Apr 1, 2016
Visit site
Hey everyone,
I too had many overheating problems with my Toshiba P850 laptop with an i7. I found two ways to reduce the overheating, but not completely fix it. Hope these tips are helpful to you:

1) Update your graphics drivers: I currently have a geforce gt630m graphics card on my laptop, which really added to the overheating, but finally after a while toshiba released the windows 10 graphic driver for my nvidia geforce. This really helped, but my laptop still overheated.

2) Disable Intel Turboboost technology: Despite my graphic driver fix, I noticed something else in the task manager: the clock speed was extremely high, around 2.8 GHz on average. So I tried going to the BIOS settings and disabling Intel turboboost technology. And believe it or not, IT WORKED!
FYI: This is only applicable to Intel core i5 & higher (as far as I know).

After a few updates from windows overtime, I think my PC is not getting all that hot, but still noticeable, especially after switching from 8.1.

Hope this helps :amaze:

cabsco

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site
My EliteBook 8530w runs cool like penguin on ice street, after upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 Anniversary. Hottest at 58-degree Celsius.

maccafan

Feb 23, 2017
Visit site
I having same issue with a HP Pavilion DV7 that had since 2011 on Win 7 but upgrade to Win 10 is causing overheat issue with fan working overtime and also impacting on battery as now the machine refuses to work without being plugged in despite telling me at 42% and charging but it doesnt, any ideas guys :confused:

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Take your laptop for cleaning and ask if they can apply some cooling paste to your CPU and GPU if possible. Windows 10 vs 7 has nothing to do with it.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I having same issue with a HP Pavilion DV7 that had since 2011 on Win 7 but upgrade to Win 10 is causing overheat issue with fan working overtime and also impacting on battery as now the machine refuses to work without being plugged in despite telling me at 42% and charging but it doesnt, any ideas guys :confused:

First of all this is a reaaaaaaaaallly old thread and secondly you either need to install the drivers from HP's website or you need to replace your fan as the issue may be purely coincidental.

If the fan is accessible, hold down the fan and use some compressed air to blow out some of the dust. You would be surprised the difference it makes.

Take your laptop for cleaning and ask if they can apply some cooling paste to your CPU and GPU if possible. Windows 10 vs 7 has nothing to do with it.

True more often than not since most people use their laptops on the lap therefore on top of clothes, pillows, etc lint and other fabric does get sucked into the fans time to time. The worst case I've seen was that the fan was short of a needle as it looked like a roll of multicoloured sewing thread. :grincry:.

maccafan

Feb 23, 2017
Visit site
thanks for this reply, Win 10 was also causing issues with Windows Update and also not letting radio replays on on BBC I player so have taken back to win 7 that has solved the other issues but not the battery one as that still stuck at 42% and wont work without being plugged in, am taking it to a pc guy have used before with this machine, memory upgrade etc. so lets see

coveylane

Dec 31, 2017
Visit site
I had a fairly new HP laptop which came with Win 8.0. It ran fine. I kept getting notifications to upgrade to Win 8.1 but ignored them for awhile. Finally gave in and from that moment on my fan sounded like it was ready to fly. I went from a laptop I left on pretty much all the time to needing to shut down after using it for awhile. No more leaving it run for long. It was not dust or a hardware problem, it happened as soon as I upgraded to 8.1. I upgraded later to 10 hoping that would help but it didn't. Any help to fix this would be appreciated.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
hp, doesn't play well with MS one drive... try in-installing it and see if that clears it up... also after upgrading to win10 you have to let it do all the updates and fix itself and then after a couple of days will return to normal...

brandonthomas

Apr 23, 2018
Visit site
I have tried everything in the book. I first did an update from Windows 7, it heated up my laptop that it shut off by itself. Some person told me to do a clean reformat and install Windows 10 that way. I did, with no programs installed, it still overheats. I do not know what to do anymore! I love how Windows 10 looks, but it sucks to say that I might have to go back to Windows 7. Some way to fix the problem will be great (If there is a way).

That's a serious issue. Laptop heating can affect laptop performance. You should think of getting a laptop cooling pad.

Here are some popular options -

1. HAVIT HV-F2056 Cooling Pad
2. Tree New Bee Cooling Pad
3. OPOLAR Laptop Fan Cooler
4. Cooler Master NotePal X3
5. Targus Lap Chill Mat

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member