ROG GX700 or desktop gamer?

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
There's a lot of new "Gaming laptops" out on the market, with new ones being released every year. I understand their market; some gamers need a portable solution where they can pick up their gaming rig and take it with them on the go. These gaming laptops are never lightweight, or thin, but they do offer a portability that you just can't get with a desktop machine.

This new one, the ASUS ROG GX700 has something new, an external water cooling docking station. This is the first time I've seen a water cooling solution for a laptop/notebook. The cooling docking station is most likely going to be heavy, and an extra cumbersome device that you'll have to pack in your bag. I certainly wouldn't want to show up at my next LAN party with my new water cooled gaming laptop, and not bring this part with me... So it's got to go with it wherever it goes.

So with all this stuff you'd have to pack, it'd almost be easier to carry a desktop case and monitor to your next gaming convention. With "gaming laptops" being such a niche market to begin with, I think this one narrowed it down to an even smaller group of "must have it portable" gamers.

My personal take on it, as with all "gaming laptops", is that the money would be better spent on a good desktop gaming machine. But I know there's gamers on the go, that'll just have to have this thing... Just for braggin' rights if for nothing else.

Anyone else?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss