Can I get some help in choosing a new external HDD for laptop(India)?

buddy007

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Help me in choosing a new external HDD for laptop(India).

So I want to purchase a new 1TB external hard disk for my laptop. So I have seen the general choices in the market from Seagate, WD, Toshiba, Lenovo,.... but I have seen another type of hard disk, the kind which are used as internal hard disks for PCs. They come naked and I have to attach an adapter to use them with my USB port. So the question is, the regular laptops have USB 3.0 pins and I happily buy one of those or I could buy one of the naked hard drives, which have the specs like 7200RPM spindle speed and 6Gb/s SATA interface. The naked ones come cheaper than the enclosed regular ones.(I am posting the links for general reference of specs)

Naked HDD- http://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B006BRBSE8/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

Enclosed HDD- http://www.amazon.in/Seagate-Backup-Portable-External-Drive/dp/B00GASLJK6?tag=socadsin2-21&ascsubtag=pfb-OTH-44571-4-1440591099439gI&ref_=pfb_OTH_44571_4_1440591099439gI

So what do you guys think?

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Re: Help me in choosing a new external HDD for laptop(India).

One of the "bare bones" or "naked" HDDs will need to have the appropriate adapters, and by the time you get the appropriate adapter, you may be reaching the cost of the already assembled unit, or even spending a lot more. You'll need a case to protect it from the environment, and the case will need a cooling system, because those larger HDDs generally put out more heat than the ones designed for "portable." Often they are noisier and use more electricity to run and will need an external power adapter.

Most of the portable USB 3.0 HDDs on the market will get their power from the USB 3.0 bus, and you won't need the extra power cable.

As someone who has done things both ways with HDDs many times over the years, I recommend just getting the one already made for portable, as it will save a lot of headaches later on.

As far as which brand to get, I'd balance the "warranty offered" with the price of the product. I've learned through a bit of research (I've bought a lot of these items over the years) and through experience that they all have about the same failure rate and about the same longevity.

One may offer a longer warranty in an effort to convince users theirs will last longer. If it can be had for the same price, go for that one. That way if something happens down the road, it can be replaced a bit easier.

buddy007

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site

One of the "bare bones" or "naked" HDDs will need to have the appropriate adapters, and by the time you get the appropriate adapter, you may be reaching the cost of the already assembled unit, or even spending a lot more. You'll need a case to protect it from the environment, and the case will need a cooling system, because those larger HDDs generally put out more heat than the ones designed for "portable." Often they are noisier and use more electricity to run and will need an external power adapter.

Most of the portable USB 3.0 HDDs on the market will get their power from the USB 3.0 bus, and you won't need the extra power cable.

As someone who has done things both ways with HDDs many times over the years, I recommend just getting the one already made for portable, as it will save a lot of headaches later on.

As far as which brand to get, I'd balance the "warranty offered" with the price of the product. I've learned through a bit of research (I've bought a lot of these items over the years) and through experience that they all have about the same failure rate and about the same longevity.

One may offer a longer warranty in an effort to convince users theirs will last longer. If it can be had for the same price, go for that one. That way if something happens down the road, it can be replaced a bit easier.
thanks for your input, I guess I would go for a regular HDD which ever has the best deal.
Also if you can help me out, I had an old dell laptop, which died due to motherboard issues and I removed its internal HDD hoping to connect to an adapter and casing and use is as an external one, but for some reason that hard drive's drivers were detected only on another dell laptop of same model but not on my Lenovo. I thought external drives generally come with the drivers on their own. I tried searching for that model's driver and found it only on a dell website. Is there any way I can make it work on my Lenovo?

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site

Sorry, that's something I'm afraid I'm not an expert on. I'll admit when I don't know something, and that "something" is it.

Perhaps someone else can offer some insight?

buddy007

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site

Sorry, that's something I'm afraid I'm not an expert on. I'll admit when I don't know something, and that "something" is it.

Perhaps someone else can offer some insight?
okay, thanks again

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills