Your Choice: Microsoft vs Apple vs Google

Aquila

Alienware Rogue
May 14, 2013
Visit site
100% disagree. Also, they chose the iPad PRO over the Surface PRO; both devices that are aimed at people that want to do more with their tablet than play some little games and surf the net.

The "someone" that you're trolling about is me, so I believe that I know exactly what I was talking about. I also expressed my reasons very thoroughly for my opinion, but here is a recap:

1. Windows doesn't work for me as a tablet OS
2. I don't enjoy Windows as a laptop platform.
3. I greatly prefer Windows as a desktop OS where I can fully leverage the power of the OS
4. I greatly prefer Android as a Tablet OS
5. The hardware of the Pixel C presents the best value to me for a tablet, giving the fantastic screen and processor and the lower pricepoint.

I have no problem if other people like other things for themselves, but if you're going to ask me what device I want to buy for a tablet and then tell me I chose wrong - sorry, but there is no way that your ignorance of my preferences is my problem.

Leonel Funes

Windows 10 & Xbox Champion
Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Buy what you like, love what you bought.

It's a bit hard to be objective if there's no main forum for all (as far as I know) so we have three crowds and you're an 'outsider' if you express something different...

'Buy what you like, love what you bought.' In the end, that's what matters... Except if it's Android!
Kidding, Android is great as well!

to_be_announced

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
The "someone" that you're trolling about is me, so I believe that I know exactly what I was talking about. I also expressed my reasons very thoroughly for my opinion, but here is a recap:

1. Windows doesn't work for me as a tablet OS
2. I don't enjoy Windows as a laptop platform.
3. I greatly prefer Windows as a desktop OS where I can fully leverage the power of the OS
4. I greatly prefer Android as a Tablet OS
5. The hardware of the Pixel C presents the best value to me for a tablet, giving the fantastic screen and processor and the lower pricepoint.

I have no problem if other people like other things for themselves, but if you're going to ask me what device I want to buy for a tablet and then tell me I chose wrong - sorry, but there is no way that your ignorance of my preferences is my problem.

Nothing I said in the post you quoted me on was false. The OP was asking about the iPad Pro vs the Surface Pro vs the Android one. All devices geared towards productivity. You chose the Android one then chose the iPad second because of the "pencil" that costs an additional significant amount of $. I simply pointed out the irony of propping apple up for something that other devices have included for quite a while and that they are going to charge you a bunch of money for; a device that comes with the Surface.

Aquila

Alienware Rogue
May 14, 2013
Visit site
It's a bit hard to be objective if there's no main forum for all (as far as I know) so we have three crowds and you're an 'outsider' if you express something different...

'Buy what you like, love what you bought.' In the end, that's what matters... Except if it's Android!
Kidding, Android is great as well!

Everyone likes different things and I definitely want it to stay that way. I definitely get the perspective that Surface fans are looking for a productivity devices - yeah the iPad Pro and the Pixel C are definitely not that. They are play things with a little bit of productivity spiced in there, so it's a totally different question for me. As a plaything the Surface rather sucks, because it is so productivity oriented. But as productivity devices, the other two rather suck. So depending on what you're planning to DO with it, you get a pretty different answer on what is actually better for that task.

Aquila

Alienware Rogue
May 14, 2013
Visit site
Nothing I said in the post you quoted me on was false. The OP was asking about the iPad Pro vs the Surface Pro vs the Android one. All devices geared towards productivity. You chose the Android one then chose the iPad second because of the "pencil" that costs an additional significant amount of $. I simply pointed out the irony of propping apple up for something that other devices have included for quite a while and that they are going to charge you a bunch of money for; a device that comes with the Surface.

Roger that. I meant that as the only advantage that I see of the iPad Pro over the Pixel C. The Pixel doesn't come with a stylus, so if a Stylus is important, then other choices would be better. I also do disagree that these devices are geared towards productivity. I believe the Surface certainly is, but that the other two are toys with keyboards for people who don't want to switch devices just because it becomes time to write a long email or something that an onscreen keyboard generally sucks at.

Aquila

Alienware Rogue
May 14, 2013
Visit site
Can you explain this?

The Surface, in my opinion, is for all intents and purposes a desktop/laptop OS on a laptop with a touch screen that has a lighter and more portable form factor than most laptops. It isn't meant to be a plaything (despite to having access to a much larger and much better library of games), so much as a, "this is the only device you might need" solution. It's good for students, personal computing and even enterprise. Because it is a PC.

The iPad and Pixel are toys; tablets. They have keyboards to enhance their greatest weakness - the fact that they suck at most productivity tasks. Obviously some people will use them for the same things they'd use a surface for, but the normal use of a tablet is for media consumption, tooling around and having a larger screen for things that you could do with a phone.

As tablets, my belief is that the tablets with tablet operating systems are better.

Leonel Funes

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Everyone likes different things and I definitely want it to stay that way. I definitely get the perspective that Surface fans are looking for a productivity devices - yeah the iPad Pro and the Pixel C are definitely not that. They are play things with a little bit of productivity spiced in there, so it's a totally different question for me. As a plaything the Surface rather sucks, because it is so productivity oriented. But as productivity devices, the other two rather suck. So depending on what you're planning to DO with it, you get a pretty different answer on what is actually better for that task.

If I had all three, they would each have a different purpose:
Surface for heavy productivity (anything requiring x86 apps)
Pixel for media and some light productivity
iPad for backup if either die on me. It also functions as a paperweight.

to_be_announced

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
but that the other two are toys with keyboards for people who don't want to switch devices just because it becomes time to write a long email or something that an onscreen keyboard generally sucks at.

I'm not sure about the Android device, but I know the iPad Pro is being marketed as a productivity device rather than just a toy with a keyboard. Heck, they even had Microsoft on stage at their event unveiling the thing to talk about productivity. This right here is the point I'm going for. Again, not sure how the Android device will be marketed; the iPad Pro is being marketed as a productivity device. And you yourself admitted that there is no equal in these hybrid devices when it comes to productivity. If these devices aren't being pushed and/or marketed as such, what's the point of having the keyboard? I could see your argument of using it for emails, etc. rather than the on screen keyboard, but why spend the money on these devices if that's all you want it for?

Aquila

Alienware Rogue
May 14, 2013
Visit site
If I had all three, they would each have a different purpose:
Surface for heavy productivity (anything requiring x86 apps)
Pixel for media and some light productivity
iPad for backup if either die on me. It also functions as a paperweight.

lol, honestly I'd probably do the same thing in that situation. There are a few iPad apps that I really like but I'm a diehard Android user and the Pixel would definitely be a toy/forums posting thing/I might use it at school thing. The Surface has the potential to replace a PC (it'd be difficult, I have Alienware with an i7 4whatever, 16GB RAM, a NVIDIA GTX 970, 4 monitors and with a bunch of cool accessories that just don't fit on a Surface) - but it is definitely going to have the best experience running Excel and it has the capability of playing some of my PC games.

Aquila

Alienware Rogue
May 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure about the Android device, but I know the iPad Pro is being marketed as a productivity device rather than just a toy with a keyboard. Heck, they even had Microsoft on stage at their event unveiling the thing to talk about productivity. This right here is the point I'm going for. Again, not sure how the Android device will be marketed; the iPad Pro is being marketed as a productivity device. And you yourself admitted that there is no equal in these hybrid devices when it comes to productivity. If these devices aren't being pushed and/or marketed as such, what's the point of having the keyboard? I could see your argument of using it for emails, etc. rather than the on screen keyboard, but why spend the money on these devices if that's all you want it for?

The biggest selling point for me on the Pixel is the X1 processor. Second is the design language and third is the screen. The keyboard for someone like me is going to be very important, I spend hours a day on online forums and handling email. For other people, it may not be as useful or could be useless. In the realm of productivity, the iPad Pro can't touch a macbook pro, in my opinion. If that is the goal, I think Apple is making a mistake. I interpreted their move as one that allows them to give an iPad experience to people who want an iPad toy AND the ability to be a little more productive with it. Otherwise, if the idea is just to be productive, why wouldn't you buy a laptop?

Aquila

Alienware Rogue
May 14, 2013
Visit site
Again, not sure how the Android device will be marketed;

Doesn't really matter how Google intends to market it - Google is approximately the worst marketing company in tech. They've put out some fantastic devices and straight up forgot to tell anyone and they've put out some terrible devices and marketed them like they're the gift of the gods to tech nerds. In the pure productivity space, I believe the Chromebook will remain better than Android for some time.

Aquila

Alienware Rogue
May 14, 2013
Visit site
As an example:

Google Tablet with Keyboard as interpreted by HTC last year in the Nexus 9:

N9-keyboardlow-1600.jpg

Google Tablet with Keyboard as interpreted by Google this year in the Pixel C:

pixel_c.jpg

So the concept isn't new to Android, the first tablet I ever bought was in the Asus Transformer line which was a tablet with a keyboard in 2011 before I switched to the Nexus 7. The new part is making it a better tablet with a much better keyboard that has a more unique way of connecting, etc.

Leonel Funes

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
lol, honestly I'd probably do the same thing in that situation. There are a few iPad apps that I really like but I'm a diehard Android user and the Pixel would definitely be a toy/forums posting thing/I might use it at school thing. The Surface has the potential to replace a PC (it'd be difficult, I have Alienware with an i7 4whatever, 16GB RAM, a NVIDIA GTX 970, 4 monitors and with a bunch of cool accessories that just don't fit on a Surface) - but it is definitely going to have the best experience running Excel and it has the capability of playing some of my PC games.

The Surface can't replace that yet - Microsoft would have to come up with some more innovations to make something like that work good in tablet form. Holding 4 tablets won't do the trick.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
As part of my job I work with many clients. We sell mostly PCs, but some Windows tablets as well. From what I've seen, most of our tablet customers do no more than could easily be done with an iPad or Android tablet. We have in some cases actually recommended them to go somewhere else and buy an iPad or Android tablet, based on how they describe what they intend to do with it. For example, if a grandmother wants to communicate with her iPhone-carrying grandchildren, shouldn't she have an iPad? If she wishes to use if for Facebook, wouldn't Android or iPad be a better choice?

How many Surface users take advantage of their capabilities? I would bet that for the vast majority of Windows tablet customers, they could just as easily do it with an iPad or Android tablet. This is based on my observations.

To sum it up, the Surface does indeed have the most potential for productivity, but few of its customers that I've seen use it. I believe that for the most part, productivity on a tablet is overrated. That could change down the road, but for now, that's the way I see it.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Ladies and gentlemen, please keep discussion productive. This thread is about the devices and nothing to do with the different arenas that comprise the Mobile Nations. Let's keep it on topic! Personal attacks, insults, taking threads off topic and other disruptive posting behaviors are not acceptable. If you do not like a post, please behave like an adult and move on, or if you feel it violates the forum rules, please report it. At no point should members be calling each other out in posts. Thanks.

Blackberry-Prince

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
Your choices for holiday shopping - Microsoft's Surface 4/Pro 4, Apple's iPad Pro, or Google's Pixel C.

A quick run through each devices' minimum specs (compared to the current Surfaces for now)

Surface 3/Pro 3
Windows 10/10 Pro
10.8" 1920x1280/12" 2160x1440
64GB, Intel Atom x7, 2GB RAM/64GB, Intel i3, 4GB RAM
$499/$799
Surface Pen $49.99, Surface 3 Keyboard $129.99/Surface Pen included, Surface Pro 3 Keyboard $129.99
View attachment 113253

iPad Pro

iOS 9
12.9" 2732x2048
32GB, A9X
$799
Pencil $99, Smart Keyboard $169
View attachment 113255

Pixel C

Android 6.0
10.2" 2560x1800
32GB, Nvidia Tegra X1, 3GB RAM