Your Choice: Microsoft vs Apple vs Google

JohnnyCanuck

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Actually, I would add a fourth consideration: Lenovo Miix 700. Will be replacing my Surface Pro 3, either with the Pro 4 or the Miix 700. I'll probably know after October 6.

RayWP7

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
I have made that choice. I've given up Android tablet and iPads alike. These new ones offer nothing over the older ones that would compel me to reconsider that choice. So, I now have both a Surface 3 and a Surface Pro 3. Many companies are programming to "mobile" friendly formatted web sites in addition to any offering they may offer on the App side of things. This means that if there is an app that is presently specific to iPad or Android, it's a non issue because the Surfaces are full on PCs and can access full feature or mobile optimized versions of the actual websites. If you primarily use Apps, however, and those platforms hold exclusives presently, then I think your decision is made for you. If you are a technical professional and work remote, Surface Pro 3 are unbeatable in terms of mobility. I also quite love the W10 implementation of Remote Desktop client.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I am platform agnostic. I use what I like.
For phones I prefer WP (Lumia 640) is my main line and Nexus 5 on my second line.
For tablet I use Nexus 7 for consumption - mostly reading and occasional streaming. I have an iPad 2 and am actively looking for an iPad 3 Mini LTE for the other members of the family who like using iOS devices. I don't use the iPad at all.
I have Win7 on my main work computer and Win10 on my personal laptop. The home computer is Win7 as well and is likely to be replaced with a Surface or some sort based on how it gets used.

In a nutshell I use devices from all three OSes because of the various needs of various people in the household.
To each their own.
TL;DR

Geodude074

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
The only true productivity device is the Surface. But do you really want to use a Surface for both productivity and consumption? The Windows Store app selection is appalling, it doesn't even have Angry Birds, and Windows 8/10 isn't a great tablet OS. Sure it's good, but it's not GREAT, both Android and iOS are better than Windows in tablet form.

If I were to choose I'd go with the Pixel C. I'm not expecting anything more than light Office work from it, for serious work I have my desktop. As a tablet the Pixel C kicks ***, which is what I'd be using it for 99% of the time.

Aquila

Alienware Rogue
May 14, 2013
Visit site
The only true productivity device is the Surface. But do you really want to use a Surface for both productivity and consumption? The Windows Store app selection is appalling, it doesn't even have Angry Birds, and Windows 8/10 isn't a great tablet OS. Sure it's good, but it's not GREAT, both Android and iOS are better than Windows in tablet form.

If I were to choose I'd go with the Pixel C. I'm not expecting anything more than light Office work from it, for serious work I have my desktop. As a tablet the Pixel C kicks ***, which is what I'd be using it for 99% of the time.

That's more or less what I've been saying. The Surface is definitely a better laptop/productivity device... the iPad (IMO) and Pixel (definitely) have keyboard attachments in case you want to be slightly productive - but the point of the device is not to be a laptop replacement. It is to enhance the tablet experience.

Here's my priority list for OS based on device type:

Desktop: Windows > Everything
Laptop: Chromebook > Macbook > Windows > Everything
Tablet: Android > iOS > Everything
Phone: Android > iOS > Everything
Wearable: Android > Everything
Car: Android is the only thing that exists so far.

Every user will have something for their preferences and use cases and it is probably highly dependant on how many devices they choose to interact with throughout the day.

ajj3085

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Everyone likes different things and I definitely want it to stay that way. I definitely get the perspective that Surface fans are looking for a productivity devices - yeah the iPad Pro and the Pixel C are definitely not that. They are play things with a little bit of productivity spiced in there, so it's a totally different question for me. As a plaything the Surface rather sucks, because it is so productivity oriented. But as productivity devices, the other two rather suck. So depending on what you're planning to DO with it, you get a pretty different answer on what is actually better for that task.

Are you high? How can you claim with a straight face that the iPad PRO is not supposed to be aimed at productive uses? I'm pretty sure they even demoed office 2016 on it? Or do you think pro means more expensive consumer grade?

And last I checked, Surface can stream video and music and has tons of games, so I'm not sure how it fails in that department. I use my SP2 for development and leisure all the time.

Aquila

Alienware Rogue
May 14, 2013
Visit site
Are you high? How can you claim with a straight face that the iPad PRO is not supposed to be aimed at productive uses? I'm pretty sure they even demoed office 2016 on it? Or do you think pro means more expensive consumer grade?

And last I checked, Surface can stream video and music and has tons of games, so I'm not sure how it fails in that department. I use my SP2 for development and leisure all the time.
Nope, not high. Are you capable of logos? If not using it, following it?

I clearly said in my comments that the two tablets have productivity concepts as an add-on to their respective existing use. As in, you get a great TABLET that can double up in a pinch and reduce your need to go switch devices in order to handle a smart amount of business. Demoing office is pretty meaningless given that anyone with a browser can use excel, word, PowerPoint, sheets, docs, slides, etc. These things also have dedicated all's on iOS and Android anyways... I literally have all six on my work phone already. That doesn't mean I think my work phone is a laptop replacement. That functionality is to do quick things without having to run to another device. It's merely bridging the gap.

The ability to DO stuff doesn't make for a great tablet. A great tablet experience is made by many things, most have to do with app experience. Windows is pretty terrible at the tablet experience and the other two are phenomenal at it. That's because they have completely different ways to be used on different tasks. That's not bad, and some people make more overlap than there is for most, but that is where we stand.

sent via Nexus Assassin Edition. Gonfaloniere.

Aquila

Alienware Rogue
May 14, 2013
Visit site
For someone who says he would prefer Android, you seem to surprisingly value the mouse and WINDOW capabilities that Windows offers...
Not sure what mouse has to do with it, all three OS can use a mouse. I value windows as a desktop, get work done and play pc games platform. I can also play my pc games on my shield and shield tablet, but most are best on the system they were designed for. I dont have any issue with Windows. I dont enjoy windows on small screens (like laptops and tablets) and especially not on mobile (tablets and phones). The ecosystem has a ways to go to get in league and I hope they get there. Right now, for me, windows belongs on a full desktop.

sent via Nexus Assassin Edition. Gonfaloniere.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The main difference I've observed is that Android is better on a tablet than Windows. I'd say the same is true of iOS also (better on a tablet than Windows). The reason I say that is because both Android and iOS are designed as mobile OSes, whereas Windows is designed as a desktop OS. It is easy to use Android and iOS on tablets using one's fingers and not using a keyboard. Windows tablets are a chore to type on without a keyboard. My Windows tablet is in a drawer, since I can't type on it without WordFlow, Swype, or SwiftKey. If I'm going to need to take along a keyboard to use a tablet, why bother? I might as well take my notebook PC with me.

VHMP01

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I'd say Surface unless I wanted any possible app to be available on it, then I would go iPad/Pixel. I really am concerned about MS product delivery and execution these days.
Too much marketing around apps, I can always visit any web page for the App's service, get more functions, then set a live tile to that web if it is really necesary, done. When you have a full OS, who cares about none existan apps is just marketing blinded!

VHMP01

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
The main difference I've observed is that Android is better on a tablet than Windows. I'd say the same is true of iOS also (better on a tablet than Windows). The reason I say that is because both Android and iOS are designed as mobile OSes, whereas Windows is designed as a desktop OS. It is easy to use Android and iOS on tablets using one's fingers and not using a keyboard. Windows tablets are a chore to type on without a keyboard. My Windows tablet is in a drawer, since I can't type on it without WordFlow, Swype, or SwiftKey. If I'm going to need to take along a keyboard to use a tablet, why bother? I might as well take my notebook PC with me.

I totally disagree... Android and iOS were design for smartphones, in fact 3.5" smartphones, then they were streched and pushed to the limits with Tablets. Windows has had experience in screen keyboards since XP, Tablet mode has a great keyboard for thumbs while holding steady. If your reason to go Android or iOS is the screen keyboard, we agree to disagree!

Aquila

Alienware Rogue
May 14, 2013
Visit site
I totally disagree... Android and iOS were design for smartphones, in fact 3.5" smartphones, then they were streched and pushed to the limits with Tablets. Windows has had experience in screen keyboards since XP, Tablet mode has a great keyboard for thumbs while holding steady. If your reason to go Android or iOS is the screen keyboard, we agree to disagree!

You're right, the original Android in 2008 was designed for small smartphones. However, starting with Android 4.0 in 2011 Android was designed to work on a entire range of device sizes and form factors with one OS. Prior to that Android 3.0 was designed to be a tablet operating system. I'm not really sure where we're all going with the keyboard stuff, but I do firmly believe that Windows has never made a good tablet experience, whereas (obviously in my opinion) Android has been leading in the tablet space for quite awhile and everyone knows about the iPad which is beloved by its users as well. There's nothing wrong with them all occupying separate spaces.

VHMP01

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
As part of my job I work with many clients. We sell mostly PCs, but some Windows tablets as well. From what I've seen, most of our tablet customers do no more than could easily be done with an iPad or Android tablet. We have in some cases actually recommended them to go somewhere else and buy an iPad or Android tablet, based on how they describe what they intend to do with it. For example, if a grandmother wants to communicate with her iPhone-carrying grandchildren, shouldn't she have an iPad? If she wishes to use if for Facebook, wouldn't Android or iPad be a better choice?

How many Surface users take advantage of their capabilities? I would bet that for the vast majority of Windows tablet customers, they could just as easily do it with an iPad or Android tablet. This is based on my observations.

To sum it up, the Surface does indeed have the most potential for productivity, but few of its customers that I've seen use it. I believe that for the most part, productivity on a tablet is overrated. That could change down the road, but for now, that's the way I see it.
Disagree completelly... I could see your point if, and only if, limmited tablets like iOS and Android were less expensive... But what you are saying, is that if someone needs a car to go to the supermarket and few visits to their grandchildren, they should get a limmited and less specs car, but still pay Premium for it. Really bad advice on my view!

VHMP01

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I have made that choice. I've given up Android tablet and iPads alike. These new ones offer nothing over the older ones that would compel me to reconsider that choice. So, I now have both a Surface 3 and a Surface Pro 3. Many companies are programming to "mobile" friendly formatted web sites in addition to any offering they may offer on the App side of things. This means that if there is an app that is presently specific to iPad or Android, it's a non issue because the Surfaces are full on PCs and can access full feature or mobile optimized versions of the actual websites. If you primarily use Apps, however, and those platforms hold exclusives presently, then I think your decision is made for you. If you are a technical professional and work remote, Surface Pro 3 are unbeatable in terms of mobility. I also quite love the W10 implementation of Remote Desktop client.
You could also run Android apps under Windows! Never the other way around!

VHMP01

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
You're right, the original Android in 2008 was designed for small smartphones. However, starting with Android 4.0 in 2011 Android was designed to work on a entire range of device sizes and form factors with one OS. Prior to that Android 3.0 was designed to be a tablet operating system. I'm not really sure where we're all going with the keyboard stuff, but I do firmly believe that Windows has never made a good tablet experience, whereas (obviously in my opinion) Android has been leading in the tablet space for quite awhile and everyone knows about the iPad which is beloved by its users as well. There's nothing wrong with them all occupying separate spaces.
Still, Android was improved for 10" tablets, here we're talking about again streching it to 12"+. So I guess we disagree on this 'Pro' Tablet form factor.

Aquila

Alienware Rogue
May 14, 2013
Visit site
Disagree completelly... I could see your point if, and only if, limmited tablets like iOS and Android were less expensive... But what you are saying, is that if someone needs a car to go to the supermarket and few visits to their grandchildren, they should get a limmited and less specs car, but still pay Premium for it. Really bad advice on my view!

Android tablets are less expensive; Almost across the board. Prior to the Pixel C, the best tablet was the NVIDIA Shield, which was $299. The next best was the Nexus 9, starting at $399. Compared to the Surface Pro starting at $800. The difference is because the Surface is a laptop and the Shield is a tablet. Comparing Apple prices doesn't really make sense though, because they overcharge on just about everything IMO. There is a good case to be made on their better spec'd macbooks compared to comparable ultrabooks, but in mobile their prices are over the top given that there are much better devices for much less.

Aquila

Alienware Rogue
May 14, 2013
Visit site
Still, Android was improved for 10" tablets, here we're talking about again streching it to 12"+. So I guess we disagree on this 'Pro' Tablet form factor.

I'm not sure where you're getting either number. The Pixel C is a 10.2" tablet and isn't referred to as a "pro" anything. Android was improved for ANY form factor and that's just the 2011 update. In the ensuing years the developer tools have been vastly improved. However, the first Nexus tablet (first tablet that really matters, it took tablets from straight up garbage to a pleasurable content consuming experience) was a 7" tablet and since then Google has put out a 10", another 7" and a 9" Nexus tablet, all of which were the standard 16:9 resolution - this being a different line they picked the 10.2" size for the Pixel with the different aspect ratio and they're showing off some different design opportunities.

Aquila

Alienware Rogue
May 14, 2013
Visit site

I don't understand the analogy. In this example we're talking about two things that are more akin to motorcycles than SUV's if you're saying the Surface Pro is a Hummer or something. Toys that can still be useful, but they're basically toys.

Or in case analogies don't work here, two tablets that are freaking amazing at being tablets versus a laptop that is a pretty damned good laptop. None are very good at being the things that they are not.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6