Your Choice: Microsoft vs Apple vs Google

Leonel Funes

Windows 10 & Xbox Champion
Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Your choices for holiday shopping - Microsoft's Surface 4/Pro 4, Apple's iPad Pro, or Google's Pixel C.

A quick run through each devices' minimum specs (compared to the current Surfaces for now)

Surface 3/Pro 3
Windows 10/10 Pro
10.8" 1920x1280/12" 2160x1440
64GB, Intel Atom x7, 2GB RAM/64GB, Intel i3, 4GB RAM
$499/$799
Surface Pen $49.99, Surface 3 Keyboard $129.99/Surface Pen included, Surface Pro 3 Keyboard $129.99
surface-3-3.jpg

iPad Pro

iOS 9
12.9" 2732x2048
32GB, A9X
$799
Pencil $99, Smart Keyboard $169
Apple-iPad-Pro-32.png

Pixel C

Android 6.0
10.2" 2560x1800
32GB, Nvidia Tegra X1, 3GB RAM
$499
Keyboard $149
Google-Pixel-C.jpg

PICK YOUR POISON

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Surface of course. The others are mere toys that cannot load full Office and browse network drives will still watching Netflix or playing Minecraft.

SammyD97

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Every single reply will say Surface unless you make things fair and post this on Android Central and iMore. I'd go for the Surface btw.

Gustavo Sanchez

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I'd say Surface unless I wanted any possible app to be available on it, then I would go iPad/Pixel. I really am concerned about MS product delivery and execution these days.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Dell XPS 12 probably. InfinityEdge screen will give me 12" in something as portable as the S3 but more powerful.

Update: well scratch that, Dell messed up with no kickstand so I'll be sticking with my S3.

Last edited:

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
As an overall package, I prefer the Pixel C. But then again, if I'm looking to get a tablet, I want it to function primarily as a tablet. "Pro" tablets for me don't need to run desktop-py software, but need to have a little more options than simply a touchscreen. Innovative inductive charging of the keyboard when covering the Pixel C, magnetically attaching to the tablet (which automatically turns on the keyboard) without the need for a kickstand, and support for mice, are "pro" enough for me.

I would've preferred a trackpad on the keyboard and a modified version of Android that supports multiwindow.

If I wanted an ultrabook, then I would choose the Surface Pro... without a doubt.

Leonel Funes

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Wish i never visited Android Central. What a ****** that moderator is. At least we're honest when things don't look good, but he's all 'Pixel is the best, you know, more apps, mature OS, more apps, cheaper, more apps'. Just f up my nervs.
I don't think he realises there's cheaper version and that this same cheapest version still runs full damn OS, NOT MOBILE OS ON 12''.

You noticed it too I guess - I find it quite funny. To me, it's Surface 3 vs Pixel C & Surface Pro 3 vs iPad Pro. I think for most cases, Microsoft wins...

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Wish i never visited Android Central. What a ****** that moderator is. At least we're honest when things don't look good, but he's all 'Pixel is the best, you know, more apps, mature OS, more apps, cheaper, more apps'. Just f up my nervs.
I don't think he realises there's cheaper version and that this same cheapest version still runs full damn OS, NOT MOBILE OS ON 12''.
I bolded what is not true at all. If I had a dime for every time I was accused of being an Apple ****** because I pointed out issues/flaws with the Surface, I'd have enough money to upgrade my Surface 2 to a top-of-the-line Surface Pro 3 and dock. :grincry:

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
I prefer having a full pc in a portable form instead of a larger portable phone. Microsoft tablets are better

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I use all three. I pick and choose from each company what I like best about them. It works for me. And yes, it is very cohesive. I float between many devices of many different OS's. Very seamless.

Leonel Funes

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
I bolded what is not true at all. If I had a dime for every time I was accused of being an Apple ****** because I pointed out issues/flaws with the Surface, I'd have enough money to upgrade my Surface 2 to a top-of-the-line Surface Pro 3 and dock. :grincry:

That's true too! Microsoft is far from perfect! It's just that over at Android Central it seems there's a tad mit more fanboyism - but he does give the iPad Pro a break for the Pencil... Like I said, just pick your poison...

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
My choices this holiday season (if it turns out I can comfortably afford them):

Surface Pro 4 (the larger, 14" variety)
Gold or Chrome Sony Xperia Z5 Premium (like the Lumia 950 and 950 XL on paper, but design is a deal-breaker)
Black Samsung Gear 2 smartwatch

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I think the proof is in the new iPad. Looks a lot like Apple took some things from the Surface Pro 3. Finally having a docking station with their iPad is a sight for sore eyes. Still with the flaws that the Surface Pro 3 or Surface 3 has for that matter, the other two really don't compare. As portable and light as the iPads are, they still run on iOS which though is good for leisure and a small amount of business work, to get the best of both worlds, there really isn't anything better then the Surface series out there. The only issue I have with the Surface series is the price point of the accessories. They are a little high.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I already own a Surface Pro 3 so I've made my decision. However, I can understand the desire to have the other two devices if you are ingrained in those ecosystems.

Tsang Fai

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
People who consider these devices are looking for productivity. So their primary concern is to get things done.

iPadPro still runs iOS. The good news is there is stylus support and better Office interation.

Pixel C should even not be compared with Surface. It runs Android and does not support pen. It is just a 10" Android tablet with a tailor made keyboard. It does not look good.

Some people say they just need a tablet. Well, there are many iPads and Android tablets in the market already. What we focus here is a productivity tablet. These devices are all designed to be productive. But whether they have achieved it is another question.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss