Your Choice: Microsoft vs Apple vs Google

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Recap: Great on desktop, decent to ok on laptops, sucks horribly on mobile. That's my opinion, albeit backed up by facts of Microsoft's failure so far on mobile computing. My expressing hope that Microsoft will get better as it does not mean that they did a good job in actual history. I guess I'd just be a fan of comparing laptops to laptops and tablets to tablets. The Surface is most definitely not a tablet. Or at least not a good one, if it is. It is a pretty decent laptop so let it compete where it is strong - not where it gets annihilated.

Actually I'd rather compare and compete the Surface where it gets annihilated so Microsoft get their arse in gear and improve on its weaknesses. There's no point focusing on the strengths. Cover up your weaknesses while simultaneously making your strengths stronger.

Aquila

Alienware Rogue
May 14, 2013
Visit site
Actually I'd rather compare and compete the Surface where it gets annihilated so Microsoft get their arse in gear and improve on its weaknesses. There's no point focusing on the strengths. Cover up your weaknesses while simultaneously making your strengths stronger.
I can get on board with that strategy but I'm not sure MS wants to be in the casual space. Everything I see so far in windows 10 is seemingly moving further away from mobile. Taking a tablet and enhancing it makes sense. Taking a laptop and dumbing it down seems silly :)

sent via Nexus Assassin Edition. Gonfaloniere.

Aquila

Alienware Rogue
May 14, 2013
Visit site
I'd also love for windows to integrate with all of my "stuff". Currently they want me to import it all and that is not viable ad it is clunky and loses the instant sync that other systems have across devices. As much as I want to be OS agnostic, so far only Google services work across everything but on windows it isn't at an OS level, it is via chrome for the most part. That's one thing that a tablet must excel at: being one of many devices with all content available on all devices at all times.

JaySeeDoubleYou

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
Okay, this is assuming a lot, but assuming that I'm limited to picking ONLY ONE device, and it has to be one of these three, and I can't get another one later, then this is a VERY EASY question for me:

The Surface, no doubt.

The other two are tablets with a keyboard. ONLY the Surface is a TRUE 2-in-1, providing ALL the functionality of a laptop, -AND- ALL the functionality of a tablet, and switches between them with the snap of a keyboard! The other two are ONLY tablets, and as impressed as I am with the hardware on each, as well as being quite pleased with iOS and especially Android, this is still a "no-contest" situation for me. The Surface.

Even the app gap doesn't dissuade me, because a) all signs point to it improving radically in not too much time, and b) even if it doesn't, most of those apps have win32 or web-based equivalents that I can use when in desktop mode and/or via Edge.

However, my REAL answer, no longer playing along with the parameters of the thread is "I want an iPad, AND a Pixel, AND a Surface." And assuming I would get all three, then it only comes down to the matter of "firing order", which once again, is a very easy question for me.

I have an early 2015 iPad Air 2 already WITH an aftermarket bluetooth keyboard cover - in fact, it's what I'm using to type this. So, the iPad pro would definitely come last. No question there. Next, while it's admitedly only a very pale shadow of a real Microsoft Surface, and indeed, was only ever intended to serve as a stopgap for me, I already have a Nextbook Flexx 11, which more or less approximates a Surface, and is serving me just fine as an intermediate tide-me-over. However, what I DON'T have is any meaningful solutions for an Android tablet. I have a 2011 HP Touchpad, which originally ran WebOS, but has been rooted, and hacked to run cyanogenmod12 (Android Lollipop.) It's technically usable, which does make it better than nothing, I suppose. But it's soooooooooo slow, and sooooooooo buggy, and often crashes, that it is not a solution at all for anything more than a rare super casual dabble with Android.

So, without a doubt, the Pixel would be the one I'd get first chronologically, followed by the Surface, and again, the iPad Pro would bring up the rear. But once again, assuming I could ONLY have one - EVER, then it'd definitely be the Surface.

Cheers!

Aquila

Alienware Rogue
May 14, 2013
Visit site
Okay, this is assuming a lot, but assuming that I'm limited to picking ONLY ONE device, and it has to be one of these three, and I can't get another one later, then this is a VERY EASY question for me:

The Surface, no doubt.

The other two are tablets with a keyboard. ONLY the Surface is a TRUE 2-in-1, providing ALL the functionality of a laptop, -AND- ALL the functionality of a tablet, and switches between them with the snap of a keyboard! The other two are ONLY tablets, and as impressed as I am with the hardware on each, as well as being quite pleased with iOS and especially Android, this is still a "no-contest" situation for me. The Surface.

Even the app gap doesn't dissuade me, because a) all signs point to it improving radically in not too much time, and b) even if it doesn't, most of those apps have win32 or web-based equivalents that I can use when in desktop mode and/or via Edge.

However, my REAL answer, no longer playing along with the parameters of the thread is "I want an iPad, AND a Pixel, AND a Surface." And assuming I would get all three, then it only comes down to the matter of "firing order", which once again, is a very easy question for me.

I have an early 2015 iPad Air 2 already WITH an aftermarket bluetooth keyboard cover - in fact, it's what I'm using to type this. So, the iPad pro would definitely come last. No question there. Next, while it's admitedly only a very pale shadow of a real Microsoft Surface, and indeed, was only ever intended to serve as a stopgap for me, I already have a Nextbook Flexx 11, which more or less approximates a Surface, and is serving me just fine as an intermediate tide-me-over. However, what I DON'T have is any meaningful solutions for an Android tablet. I have a 2011 HP Touchpad, which originally ran WebOS, but has been rooted, and hacked to run cyanogenmod12 (Android Lollipop.) It's technically usable, which does make it better than nothing, I suppose. But it's soooooooooo slow, and sooooooooo buggy, and often crashes, that it is not a solution at all for anything more than a rare super casual dabble with Android.

So, without a doubt, the Pixel would be the one I'd get first chronologically, followed by the Surface, and again, the iPad Pro would bring up the rear. But once again, assuming I could ONLY have one - EVER, then it'd definitely be the Surface.

Cheers!
I agree, if it wasn't ANOTHER device, but would be my ONLY device, I'd want the laptop over the tablets.

TheWOfficial

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
Well this seems it be a good time to ask, I'm looking for a 10 inch Windows tablet that can run Photoshop decently and a few games(Minecraft, maybe a bit if NFS U2) but I have a ?200 budget. Any suggestions?

Aquila

Alienware Rogue
May 14, 2013
Visit site
Well this seems it be a good time to ask, I'm looking for a 10 inch Windows tablet that can run Photoshop decently and a few games(Minecraft, maybe a bit if NFS U2) but I have a ?200 budget. Any suggestions?
Is a surface pro 3 more than ?200?

ajj3085

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
The area where I see the iPad Pro being adopted is in the medical profession. My mother recently had surgery. Her doctors and nurses used iPads. There are a lot of medical apps for iOS. Using those apps on the iPad Pro while working in the hospital would be a lot easier than using the Surface Pro 3. This hospital also uses Macs, not PCs, in the doctors' offices.

That varies from place to place though. Doctors here use two in ones with Windows or Windows tablets. I'd love for you to explain how exactly an ipad is easier to use than a surface. Both are touch screens, both have a stylus, both have keyboards, etc.

Aquila

Alienware Rogue
May 14, 2013
Visit site
That varies from place to place though. Doctors here use two in ones with Windows or Windows tablets. I'd love for you to explain how exactly an ipad is easier to use than a surface. Both are touch screens, both have a stylus, both have keyboards, etc.
Battery life, apps, accessories and OS designed for touch.

sent via Nvidia Shield Tablet - Android Central Moderator.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Simple, iPads have 4:3 Ratio displays making it a ton easier to use in portrait mode. With the proper palm rejection the iPad is a no-brainer.

Sent from my BlackBerry Classic on Tapatalk

fdruid

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Surface. Though it doesn't make a lot of sense to compare recently updated devices to past-gen Surface Pro 3, should have waited until the new Surface Pro 4 is announced.
I don't see the point in this thread anyway, but well.

Aquila

Alienware Rogue
May 14, 2013
Visit site
Surface. Though it doesn't make a lot of sense to compare recently updated devices to past-gen Surface Pro 3, should have waited until the new Surface Pro 4 is announced.
I don't see the point in this thread anyway, but well.
I'd agree with both points. Surface 4 vs other 2015 stuff and tablets not vs Surface anything.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, I would pick a macbook pro retina, an ipad as a tablet and an iphone as a phone. Surface 3 pros are great but windows 10 on them is killing the good stuff: quality so I'll skip, surface as a tablet? no way no thanks, there are barely any apps in that store and I want a tablet not a 2in1. windows phone as phone, well nope, missing apps, outdated apps, win10 mobile is something I cannot stand, plus I ain't gonna spend 700EUR on those flagships 950 or 950xl...At that money I can get a much nicer and more usable phone with either android or ios.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss