Your Choice: Microsoft vs Apple vs Google

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Skype app will come back. Don't worry. Its still being developed. When it comes back, you'll see what a universal windows app (UWA) can do.
This is not the first time that Microsoft has promised this (universal/convergence). All previous attempts have failed. I have no reason to believe that this time the outcome will be different. If history is any indication, these UWA's will not be truly universal and will not have the capabilities of their non-UWA counterparts.

I wish that it would be different. I wish Microsoft would actually deliver on the vision they promised. I wish Microsoft would have faith in their products to see things through no matter what. But I know that wishing doesn't make it so.

As I've said before, Apple's release of the iPad RT...err... Pro, is acknowledgement by Apple that Microsoft was right. Seriously, except for the lack of support for an active stylus, my Surface 2 running Windows RT is more "pro" than the iPad Pro.

Microsoft botched the release of the Surface line. Rather than make the hard decision to fix what they did wrong and follow through, they took the "easy" way out and write it off. If they're willing to write off $1 billion for a quick fix don't think that they won't drop UWA if things go south.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Simple, iPads have 4:3 Ratio displays making it a ton easier to use in portrait mode. With the proper palm rejection the iPad is a no-brainer.

Sent from my BlackBerry Classic on Tapatalk

Have to say the Surface 3 with 3:2 is a lot better at portrait than my old Surface RT which was a widescreen device and the Surface 3 is now better than the iPad in portrait mode. 3:2 is the best balance between portrait and landscape as videos are better than an 4:3 and yet it works great for document reading as it is closer to real paper ratios than 4:3.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Have to say the Surface 3 with 3:2 is a lot better at portrait than my old Surface RT which was a widescreen device and the Surface 3 is now better than the iPad in portrait mode. 3:2 is the best balance between portrait and landscape as videos are better than an 4:3 and yet it works great for document reading as it is closer to real paper ratios than 4:3.
Doctors and nurses don't go watching videos while seeing patients. The context of my post was only related to input via stylus while on the go, nothing else.

GunplaGamer

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Well I currently use a Nvidia Shield tablet and all I use it for is to read comics and watch some shows on rare occasion.

If I had to choose one I am not sure if I would get anything else but an iPad Pro based on the sole idea on what exactly I use my current tablet for. Comixology on iOS is the best comic book reader I have used.

The Android version of the app while almost the same, it has some weird glitches. Windows 10 comic book readers are IMO just plain bad. If Comixology had a Windows 10 comic book reader app, and it was good (unlike previous options), I would definitely choose the Surface Pro 4. It would also allow me to play steam library of indie games.

But since there is no app at all to natively store my collection (besides the web view), I need to go with the iPad Pro.

Last edited:

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Who said anything about handwriting recognition? My post was about palm rejection and that is squarely on the digitizer drivers.

I did. My post was saying hand writing recognition was better on Windows than iOS. Which is important for a stylus based input system.

Aquila

Alienware Rogue
May 14, 2013
Visit site
I did. My post was saying hand writing recognition was better on Windows than iOS. Which is important for a stylus based input system.

Is it better than the new Pencil and iOS 9 or is it better than the old iPads? (I've read literally 0 on comparisons of that feature on anything)

Rann Xeroxx

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Why would you consider the iPad Pro and not the Pixel-C? Because of a stylus? That's absurd, Android has supported the use of a mouse now for years and a mouse is FAR more useful of UI then a stylus. Just being able to RDP into remote systems or run remote streaming apps with a mouse makes Android more useful.

Personally would take a Surface over both but I like Android for phones.

SanketSKasar

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
For one, iPad Pro is powerful enough to allow 3 4K streams to be edited at once. This surely makes it more powerful than Surface Pro 3. Also the screen resolution and aspect ratio is better on iPad than on SP3. iPad Pro's early reviews pointed out a good palm rejection and stylus use experience.
If MS makes SP4 to at least match these specs, then it may offer some advantage to buy an iPad Pro.
We can't say unavailability of software as an issue, as the iOS developer ecosystem has been quick to bring apps that utilise new features on iDevices.
Only advantage of SP4 would be the full-fledged OS on it. But to many people, overall experience matters more than raw power.
Also for most other works like using MS-Office and browsing, Surface 3 (and also 4) are pretty adequate.
I go for the cheaper Surface.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
For one, iPad Pro is powerful enough to allow 3 4K streams to be edited at once. This surely makes it more powerful than Surface Pro 3.
Perhaps more powerful for that particular scenario. Which is contrived at best. What percentage of the users of a pro tablet will be performing that particular scenario?

Also the screen resolution and aspect ratio is better on iPad than on SP3. iPad Pro's early reviews pointed out a good palm rejection and stylus use experience.
Palm rejection with the Apple Pencil depends upon the app developer coding for it. It is not system wide at the OS level. That is why the demos when the Apple debuted had presenters awkwardly holding the pencil with their hand suspended above the screen.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12