Your Choice: Microsoft vs Apple vs Google

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
For one, iPad Pro is powerful enough to allow 3 4K streams to be edited at once. This surely makes it more powerful than Surface Pro 3. Also the screen resolution and aspect ratio is better on iPad than on SP3. iPad Pro's early reviews pointed out a good palm rejection and stylus use experience.
If MS makes SP4 to at least match these specs, then it may offer some advantage to buy an iPad Pro.
We can't say unavailability of software as an issue, as the iOS developer ecosystem has been quick to bring apps that utilise new features on iDevices.
Only advantage of SP4 would be the full-fledged OS on it. But to many people, overall experience matters more than raw power.
Also for most other works like using MS-Office and browsing, Surface 3 (and also 4) are pretty adequate.
I go for the cheaper Surface.

I'll have to try and edit 4 4k streams simultaneously on my i3 Dell tablet. Since I reckon an i3 will be able to handle it. If it doesn't then yes the iPad Pro would be better in that scenario.

Perhaps more powerful for that particular scenario. Which is contrived at best. What percentage of the users of a pro tablet will be performing that particular scenario?

Don't count that out. I'm sure that film studios etc would love that. I speak as a Microsoft fan who has worked for a film production company.

Palm rejection with the Apple Pencil depends upon the app developer coding for it. It is not system wide at the OS level. That is why the demos when the Apple debuted had presenters awkwardly holding the pencil with their hand suspended above the screen.

It's iOS, of course it'll be coded for it. If Apple advertise palm rejection at all developers will flock to make sure their app supports it.

jhguy

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Its not a choice anymore ... Surface Pro 4 or Surface Book is the choice. And as for me, I'm preordering the Surface Book :)

Leonel Funes

Windows 10 & Xbox Champion
Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
The Surface Pro 4 has arrived! So now I can ask:

Surface Pro 4, iPad Pro or Pixel C? Don't include the Surface Book, different category...

Aquila

Alienware Rogue
May 14, 2013
Visit site
The Surface Pro 4 has arrived! So now I can ask:

Surface Pro 4, iPad Pro or Pixel C? Don't include the Surface Book, different category...
With full range of capabilities and no emphasis as a tablet, Surface Pro 4. By a lot.

Nexus 6 Assassin Edition. Android Central Moderator, Gonfaloniere

Jaredallister

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Perhaps more powerful for that particular scenario. Which is contrived at best. What percentage of the users of a pro tablet will be performing that particular scenario?

Palm rejection with the Apple Pencil depends upon the app developer coding for it. It is not system wide at the OS level. That is why the demos when the Apple debuted had presenters awkwardly holding the pencil with their hand suspended above the screen.

Palm rejection has been built into the OS level with iOS since iOS 6 and the first iPad Mini. Apple introduced palm rejection in the iPad Mini because of its small bezels and when holding it your hands would always touch part of your hands.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Palm rejection has been built into the OS level with iOS since iOS 6 and the first iPad Mini. Apple introduced palm rejection in the iPad Mini because of its small bezels and when holding it your hands would always touch part of your hands.
Sorry, but that is not correct. Either that or you are talking about something else.

C38S

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The link to iMore was interesting, lots of love for the surface 3 there. Now that the surface 4 is out... The surface 4 is actually making me look at the 3 since the price will drop and it's such a good device on it's own.

Aquila

Alienware Rogue
May 14, 2013
Visit site
I always go preorder the newest generation. It's expensive but I like to be on the latest and greatest.

Nexus 6 Assassin Edition. Android Central Moderator, Gonfaloniere

Nathan Bael

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Probably iPad pro for me if their stylus rocks more than the one on the SP4. Though, if the surface book is just as good for drawing as the pro 4, then I may get it instead. Honestly, I should probably just get a cintiq, but price vs specs annoys me.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I am going to go out on a limb and say that the "pencil" in the pad pro will not be better than the surface "pen". Plus the surface is so much more than an Ipad could ever be.

syspry

May 5, 2015
Visit site
The OP never stated anything about usage preference. Asking someone to choose between an iPad or a Surface is pointless. If I need primarily a portable tablet I would buy an iPad first. If I need primarily a computer, I would buy a Surface (or pretty much any laptop, ultra book, MacBook, 2in1 etc).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss