Why don't I have any network connectivity on Alienware M14x r2 laptop after upgrading to Windows 10?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

No network connectivity on Alienware M14x r2 laptop after upgrading to Windows 10

My Alienware laptop has internet connectivity when using Windows 7, but whenever I upgrade to Windows 10, I lose internet connectivity. I downgraded back to 7 and I searched the forums and found that I needed to update my chipset and wireless NIC drivers. After updating all of my drivers for every component in my laptop, I still have no internet when I upgrade again. I keep having to downgrade to 7 to use my computer. I can see the network and connect to the network, but I cannot connect to the internet or to another computer on the network or look at the configuration of the gateway/router. I have Atheros AR8151 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20), Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N 2230, and Bluetooth Device (RFCOMM Protocol TDI). All are up to date. I have an Intel core i5 x64 bit. I am including screen shots of my computer information. What I need help with is getting my computer to connect to the internet after upgrading to Windows 10. Any help is appreciated.

Tony Indelicato Jr

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
I posted this and have had no response. "Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!"? Yeah right. It has been 3 days, and still no answer. I have screen shots that I forgot to post to this. I am posting them now. I would like to know if my computer can be upgraded or not. I hope that this is not just some ploy to get me to buy another computer.
Config.jpg
Device Manager.jpg

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: No network connectivity on Alienware M14x r2 laptop after upgrading to Windows 10

The members of this site are volunteers, so there might not be anyone online at the time, or there might not be anyone who has that particular computer.

I don't have an answer. However, my suggestion would be to check with Dell. They would know better than any of us here.

Sent from my Moto X Pure Edition using Tapatalk

travis_valkyrie

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Isn't that why Microsoft has made Windows 10 Upgrade Tool to scan your computer for compatibility reports before upgrading it?
Have you even tried different ways -- on your own -- to make it work? Say like use the W7 drivers instead of the latest ones, use OEM drivers instead of the ones provided by Dell? You can't always rely on others, and when no one can help you, you have no reason to be mad.

Tony Indelicato Jr

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
I'm not mad, just frustrated that my computer keeps on upgrading on its own even after I tell it to ignore the Windows 10 upgrade. I have already tried all other drivers. I even uses a program called "Driver Pack 2015 Full" that was updated, and it said that all of the drivers were up to date. Dell (who owns Alienware now) released a driver for this device in 2013. That is the latest driver. Microsoft has built in updated drivers for all previous computer makes that the new Windows supported in the the past. I am sure that I am not the only person that has the M14x r2. So I am only looking for a solution that someone else has used to make their computer compatible. Yes, my computer is a 2013 model, but it supports Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 just fine. So what is the problem with the Windows 10 support? I am only asking. I know that this is run by volunteers, but there are enough big brains out there to help me solve this. Or am I the only one who has this issue? And if so, What have others done to fix it on their machine? So far I have upgraded the chipset, upgraded (and downgraded) the Wifi, modem, and bluetooth drivers, and upgraded the BIOS. I can't find a solution on my own.

Tony Indelicato Jr

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
Re: No network connectivity on Alienware M14x r2 laptop after upgrading to Windows 10

All Dell can say is: "we can't help you unless you buy an extended warranty." My warranty ran out in 2014. I did not buy an extension on it. I cannot afford to buy another computer like Dell wants me to. If there is a problem with a component that needs a driver update, it is Dell's responsibility to put one out. Please read my response to travis_valkyrie below.

orlbuckeye

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site

I have an Alienware 18 and I had no problem with drivers. No I have different cards. I have newer Intel and I believe my Ethernet card is Atheros but i never use it. I did see olnline on Dell's sight where is gave instructions about moving to WIndows 10. I saw then after the move but I didn't have any problems.

look here:
Upgrade to Windows 10 | Dell US

orlbuckeye

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
Yes I had a PC that has a Nvidia 9600 grpahics card that passed the Windows 10 upgrade test then after it was released it says NVidia decided not to support thus video card in Windows 10.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos