Trying to Decide Between Four Tablets: Asus, Toshiba, Dell, Lenovo

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I thought I wanted a Surface 3, but the price tag is a little too steep after keyboard and pen. With that being said, of the following, who would be the big dog on the porch?

From the umpteen amounts of articles/reviews on the interwebs, it looks like its a playoff between:
  • Asus Vivotab Note 8
  • Toshiba Encore Write 2 (although I think the 3 is out?)
  • Dell Venue Pro
  • Lenova Think Pad

I'm looking for:
  • stylus (ideally WACOM)
  • ideally 4GB and at least 64GB on the other end of that
  • expandable memory
  • Windows 10, or at least be able to upgrade without affecting performance
  • 8" screen works
  • Run Excel without too many hiccups
  • USB port to print from
  • I've also read that the Cherry Trail bits are better than Bay Trail so I'd like that too if possible.

Primary usage would be surfing, checking social media, email, Netflix/Hulu, music, Evernote or OneNote (whichever one worked with pen) and general Office tasks

Any feedback is very much appreciated!!

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Are you student or teacher?

You can get 10% discount if you are and if you want a cheap & cheerful tablet with Wacom then get the Vivo tab 8.

Lastly which lenovo think pad model were you looking at as there is quite a few... :winktongue:

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I'd be using it for work. After perusing even more on the inter webs, I think the Toshiba Encore 2 Write might be the one I give my rose to.

Thanks for chiming in, much appreciated!

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Hope you enjoy the Encore 2 Write when you get it :).

I don't suppose we would see a post detailing your thoughts and how you use it day to day? :winktongue:

It would be helpful for others in the same boat as you :)

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I went to my local MS store today to play with tablets. All they had was Surface models which makes sense.

The last time I was there they had the 950XL, this time they didn't for some reason.

I was looking for a display models of the Encore 2 Write to play with. Can't find one anywhere.

I did wander over to an Apple Store to try a stylus app out on an iPad. The only one you can is the iPad pro. That thing is huge.

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I actually ended up getting the Vivotab Note 8 as a gift from a family member. Here's what I think about it so far:

Pros:
  • Comfortable to hold
  • Pretty snappy
  • Good media consumption device, 8" is the perfect portable size.
  • Stylus + One Note is really good
  • Upgraded to Windows 10 without a hitch
  • Can run same programs as on a desktop/laptop.
  • 64GB MicroSD card working flawlessly
  • Good sound through headphones
  • I like the design
  • Decent camera
  • Good for light productivity (spreadsheets, Word, Evernote, One Note, etc)
  • Good for web browsing
  • Decent selection of apps, although I'm keeping it as bare bones as possible on this front to let my laptop do the heavy lifting.
  • Has all of the apps I need save two or three. Using web based apps to fill that gap in.
  • Logitech bluetooth keyboard paired well.
  • I like having live tiles on a tablet.
  • It is GREAT to have the back arrow on a portable media device again! One of the bigger gaps in the iOS UI.
  • Screen orientation switches quickly.

Cons:
  • It would be nice to have a higher resolution screen. Knew it prior to buying, not a deal breaker. More of an observation than anything else.
  • It would be nice to have HDMI and USB 3.0 ports, also knew this going in so wasn't a deal breaker.
  • Windows 10 on an 8" screen doesn't do it justice. It would be great if there was a mobile OS like on the Lumias. I think that would add quite a bit to the Windows tablet experience.
  • Limited accessories (cases being the primary)
  • I'd like a mobile email program like on the Lumia line. Outlook is too small and web based is the same.
  • I'd like a mobile browser optimized for a tablet.
  • Screen is a little pixelated with images on live tiles

Overall
I'd give it a solid 7-7.5/10 with a mobile OS preference, screen at 1280x800, wider app selection and a few more ports being the only things I'd like to see improved. The Windows button being up the left side doesn't bother me either. Swiping in from the sides makes that a moot point.

orlbuckeye

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
You can get wireless printing apps so you may not need a USB to print. It going to be hard to find a tablet with expanding memory also. Excel (Office) now has apps for iOS, Windows 10 (from Store) and Android.

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
The USB port went kapoot on the Note 8 and it will be $180 to get it fixed. I'm debating on resurrecting it or using that for a new Windows tablet.

I like it, powering it on and off can make me nuts, but other than its a solid player.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes