AMA - CHUWI In The House! Early but it is better than expected

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Found something I do not like about this tablet. The speaker. OMG, the worse speaker ever. Great for Bluetooth or wired headphones but if you are looking for premium sound, or even a good sound, you won't get it from these. Maybe that's by design given the price. Still testing and I'm waiting for my SD card to arrive and that's when I'll decide if its worth hanging onto. Even thought I may anyway since it was so cheap. :) I'm mildly tempted to put the TP on but I won't for now.

Galway 77

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Was looking at this tablet on amazon for 100 bucks, but didn't pull the trigger on it yet...

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Was looking at this tablet on amazon for 100 bucks, but didn't pull the trigger on it yet...

So far its not bad. It does a lot of things that make you forget its a 99 dollar tablet but it does have those reminders. I hope in a day or so I'll decide if I'm going to keep it. If it works well with the SD card, I intend to keep it. And keep it paired with some Bluetooth speaker, earbud or headphone I have around here. :)

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
So far its not bad. It does a lot of things that make you forget its a 99 dollar tablet but it does have those reminders. I hope in a day or so I'll decide if I'm going to keep it. If it works well with the SD card, I intend to keep it. And keep it paired with some Bluetooth speaker, earbud or headphone I have around here. :)
Please keep us updated once your SD card arrives.

I'm interested in this tablet, especially since it dual boots.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Found something I do not like about this tablet. The speaker. OMG, the worse speaker ever. Great for Bluetooth or wired headphones but if you are looking for premium sound, or even a good sound, you won't get it from these
That wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, since I have great headphones and also have Boston Acoustics wired speakers that I use for my PC.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Please keep us updated once your SD card arrives.

I'm interested in this tablet, especially since it dual boots.
Absolutely. I am keenly interested in just how it partitions this SD card for both operating systems as well as how well it reads/writes.

Side note, when you shut down, it does restart to the last running OS. I felt in the first few days it would make Windows 10 primary by default since it was the first to show up when I turned this tablet on.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Side note, when you shut down, it does restart to the last running OS. I felt in the first few days it would make Windows 10 primary by default since it was the first to show up when I turned this tablet on.
That is a useful feature. I like that.

Galway 77

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
The main reason I'm interested in this tablet is because I'm thinking about changing to a Windows phone, but I'm on the fence about it because of what people are writing on some of the articles on windows central, so at least I can get some taste of what to expect and at least I have both options with this tablet.. See how much I'd miss Google services.. Lol

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The main reason I'm interested in this tablet is because I'm thinking about changing to a Windows phone, but I'm on the fence about it because of what people are writing on some of the articles on windows central, so at least I can get some taste of what to expect and at least I have both options with this tablet.. See how much I'd miss Google services.. Lol

Actually there will be some differences between a desktop tablet and a mobile device.

Maybe you'd like to look into this one which runs Windows 10 Mobile on an 8" screen. It even has telephony. Alcatel OneTouch Pixi 3 - Windows Central Forums

Galway 77

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Actually there will be some differences between a desktop tablet and a mobile device.

Maybe you'd like to look into this one which runs Windows 10 Mobile on an 8" screen. It even has telephony. Alcatel OneTouch Pixi 3 - Windows Central Forums

Thank you! You helped me out before on other posts and reading through windows central you really know your stuff, but I still didn't take the plunge with a Windows phone but I read this site every day.. Lol. I was actually just in an AT&T store to look at the 950 and the 640xl was beside it so was checking them out

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
The verdict is in!
Judge_at_desk.gif
I have decided that I would keep the Chuwi tablet. It has all of what I would use a tablet for, including a full Windows 10, its quick, boots up fast and does everything I might want to do on the desktop save for things I know need memory like my Photoshop CS6.

With headphones, you can't beat the sound with stock music player Groove. The Zune-like panning effect I didn't discover until I got this tablet was a refreshing discovery and I'm glad MS included it with Groove. Its got good looks, fits well in the hand and I'm sure I'll be catching up on a lot of books which is another reason why I wanted it. And if you are a Windows 10 fan as I am, this is the OS you already know. Familiarity with where things are sets a built-in comfort level. Also important to me.

On the Android side of the house, well, its Android KitKat. It not the latest and greatest version and I don't know if its upgrade-able to Marshmallow. But with only 1.2 percent rocking it Marshmallow, I'm in good company.

With these OS's side by side, its like two shoes on the wrong foot. One is a desktop OS capable of really running full on 32bit applications and the other, well, cannot. And that's OK if you don't let your mind drift off too far.

Should you get a Chuwi?
The short answer is yes but I have two minor caveats. I don't believe you will go wrong for the money. 99 bucks delivered for the spec listed you can't beat. Understand this not a Surface, Samsung, Dell or that class of manufacturer. Its a Chuwi, and I know next to not much about them. The Chuwi does what they claim it can do and that is get out of the way of what the OS's are designed to do. Its not a Samsung but it doesn't have to be. It looks like a well built tablet and doesn't feel like a toy.

My other caveat is support. These people are in China. I have no idea what that support is like should this thing go sideways. I can only pray that doesn't happen too soon.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The verdict is in!
View attachment 122202
I have decided that I would keep the Chuwi tablet. It has all of what I would use a tablet for, including a full Windows 10, its quick, boots up fast and does everything I might want to do on the desktop save for things I know need memory like my Photoshop CS6.

With headphones, you can't beat the sound with stock music player Groove. The Zune-like panning effect I didn't discover until I got this tablet was a refreshing discovery and I'm glad MS included it with Groove. Its got good looks, fits well in the hand and I'm sure I'll be catching up on a lot of books which is another reason why I wanted it. And if you are a Windows 10 fan as I am, this is the OS you already know. Familiarity with where things are sets a built-in comfort level. Also important to me.

On the Android side of the house, well, its Android KitKat. It not the latest and greatest version and I don't know if its upgrade-able to Marshmallow. But with only 1.2 percent rocking it Marshmallow, I'm in good company.

With these OS's side by side, its like two shoes on the wrong foot. One is a desktop OS capable of really running full on 32bit applications and the other, well, cannot. And that's OK if you don't let your mind drift off too far.

Should you get a Chuwi?
The short answer is yes but I have two minor caveats. I don't believe you will go wrong for the money. 99 bucks delivered for the spec listed you can't beat. Understand this not a Surface, Samsung, Dell or that class of manufacturer. Its a Chuwi, and I know next to not much about them. The Chuwi does what they claim it can do and that is get out of the way of what the OS's are designed to do. Its not a Samsung but it doesn't have to be. It looks like a well built tablet and doesn't feel like a toy.

My other caveat is support. These people are in China. I have no idea what that support is like should this thing go sideways. I can only pray that doesn't happen too soon.

Excellent review! :smile:

I'm going to get a Chuwi too!

KyonCoraeL

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Chuwi products seem to have a cult-life following up here among value-oriented shoppers here in Canada. Great review, Jazmac. Once my tablet dies, I will consider getting a Chuwi myself. If anything goes wrong on the software side, I can imagine there is alot of third party support for these tablets.