Really, why does Dell suck so bad?

Old_Mil

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
Originally posted by Arch Stanton2
My first and LAST Dell computer is this Inspiron 2 in 1 Tablet with built in keyboard.
The Keyboard is some cheap Chinese garbage that is soldered into the plastic housing and covered with aluminum tape so if a key breaks there is no way to fix it.

This is why my laptop continues to be a Lenovo X220...and probably will be for the foreseeable future.

Marvin Larsen

Jan 5, 2018
Visit site
So , I've recently decided to buy directly from dell, this is my first time ever owning a dell product, so I figured i'd give it a try. However, it's now been three weeks, and, well... I still dont' have anything :\ I've outlined some of the problems I've been facing.

• They don't stock computers, and build everything to order? What?!
  • Their live chat really only works if the workers are in the mood to work
  • Most of the accessories on the site are either not in stock, or can't be ordered
  • I ordered an XPS 12 on the 3rd, the shipping date has been changed twice, and it's supposed to be here this thursday
  • Their products are generally, just not as good compared to competitors
  • They seem to be focused on the business or bulk purchases
  • The website is extremely unintuitive
  • Sometimes when I log in, it sends me to the business accounts, and sometimes it shows my personal account
  • Each order has it's own customer number, so my account doesn't show all of my orders ( about 5 ), so I have to hunt them down individualy in order to find what status they are in.
  • Dell only uses two statuses now, production, and shipped, other companies give considerably more detail, what gives?

Is this just a one time experience ? I tried out the Inspiron 7000 series 2-in-1 just to see if i liked it, as that was the only thing i could find that they had available to ship the next day, figured it give it a try while i waited on my xps 12. It was a very unpleasant experience. The thing has bezels on the bottom the size of a small baby. Has dell decided to do away with consumer support / sales all together over the last year or so ? In exchange, focus on bulk orders / business ?

Beacuse They suck

Last edited by a moderator:

anon(7929613)

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
It's hard to beat the hardware quality offered by Dell. I own a 5 year old XPS 15 laptop with a full HD display. I always keep brightness to 100% and even after 5 years, it's display is flawless.

Their customer support is also very nice. Assembling the product after an order is placed is better because it means you will get a brand new product.

The only problem with Dell is that they do not support computers that more than 3 years old and provide REFURBISHED parts at FULL PRICE.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Ironically I am writing this on a Dell laptop. I have personal one and a work one. The work one has been fine but for my personal one the hard drive has just died randomly twice now. Luckily it was easy enough to get it replaced and it was under warranty. I used to have an ASUS and prefer Dell. I like specifically the hardware diagnostics they offer so that you can actually test the hardware to see if/when it is failing. I didn't find that in other brands.

another_victim1

Jan 21, 2018
Visit site
My Mcafee antivirus software licence recently expired. When I powered up, I was warned that my firewall was turned off and that I no longer had virus protection. I was given an option to renew my licence. When I clicked thru to it, a page with the Mcafee and Dell logos popped up and gave me an option to renew my licence for $99 - about four times the price of what it would have cost me to get the same software on the open market. For shame, Dell!

davidpqz

Apr 23, 2018
Visit site
I agree with someone else on here - Dell used to be a good company but not any longer. My recent purchase had a hyper sensitive touchpad which tesulted in my unintentionally deleting six emails; a washed out screen and to cap it all it locked up so bad that even factory reset didn't work. To make matters infinitely worse I've been trying to return the wretched thing to get a refund only to run into all kinds of incompetence too tedious to relate. DELL SUCKS!

Marcin Dabrowsky

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
I've been very lucky with my Dell computers. I bought several XPS models and had good luck with all of them other than the occasional light bleed which is a sad reality with most lcd screens (even my macbook pros had it).

I was completely sold on Dell when my Alienware from Best Buy had light bleed Best Buy was NO help and refused to take the return. I contacted Dell who sent a tech to my work. The tech was a disaster and broke it further. A day after he put the new screen in the screen fell apart and the whole thing was a mess. I took photos and sent them to Dell. They asked me to send the old computer back to them.

They sent me a brand new upgraded model with double the ssd space. The one from Dell was perfect without any issues. Screen had no light bleed at all.

Their customer service, at least in the Alienware division, was outstanding.

I would have NO problems ordering another Dell XPS. It is true, however, that they tend to be overpriced :(

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
At work we've recently rolled out almost 30 Dell XPS 13s. Admittedly, it wasn't perfect. One of them wouldn't boot, some of them having problems waking from sleep (not that uncommon for Windows), and sometimes they're slow to connect to wifi. Other than that, they've been rock solid. I have no problems recommending Dell laptops.

JH Hates Dell

Oct 18, 2018
Visit site
I'll tell you why Dell sucks I just closed my Dell preferred account because they told me I could not buy a canvas 27 a Dell canvas 27 through my preferred account because it was considered business equipment then I had to talk to 8 people out of India one who said yes you can the other said no you cannot bye the Dell canvas through your preferred account. The only reason I got the account was to set up my art studio now I've had to close this account affecting my credit this just sucks Dell sucksooo

scifiman

Jan 7, 2019
Visit site
My Dell laptop model 15-5558 will not recognize 45 watt power adapter. This is a common problem with this laptop. After tying and failing to fix this (error message "Plugged in Not charging"), I discovered that if I used a 65 watt adapter from my dell 15-3567, the error message went away and my battery would charge. In my opinion this was a Dell design flaw. They mistakenly used the wrong power adapter needed for this laptop. When I called Dell to have them send me a 65 watt adapter, they told me no, they weren't going to.
This is why I would not buy another Dell pc or recommend anyone buying one.
PS. My 15-3567 pc had a hard drive crash while in warranty. These products are not reliable.

Lee_Bo

Jun 22, 2017
Visit site
Absolute zero issues with Dell over the past 10-ish years.

However, I've never dealt with them on a personal level. This has been with a Dell Preferred Business account.

francklouis

Jul 18, 2020
Visit site
I total agree with you, DELL SUCKS.
Their jingle DELL CARES is a direct opposite of reality; DELL DOES NOT GIVE A SH..
EXAMPLE:

If your order gets cancelled and Dell generates a new order, BEWARE, you may have received a machine with a defective mother board or other fault which is not easily identifiable within the first few weeks of using your computer. In other words, Dell could be offloading to you a faulty computer returned by a previous customer. Get your computer thoroughly checked by an independent computer expert.
This has happened to me and I am sure it has happened to other customers, which will allow a class action against Dell. I am the victim of fraud and have had to see my lawyer to get justice in court as "DELL DOES NOT CARE". After I transferred to Dell 6000 euros for a "NEW" laptop, they canceled my original order and created a new order number and shipped me a "defective computer that was returned by a previous customer" (the exact words used by the Dell technician)
The mother board was defective and the Dell technician was not even able to exchange it as the internal screws were badly damaged preventing any repairs to be carried out.
the only solution Dell offered me was for them to take the computer to their workshop to break it to pieces to be able to change the mother board. A solution which I refused and now demand a refund for the machine.
If anyone has had a similar experience with cancellation of initial orders, please let me know!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster