Please Help Me Build My Dream PC for Running VR (Oculus Rift, HTC VIVE, etc.)!!

CrackBerry Kevin

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Hey Windows Central Community!

I want to go VR in a full-blown, leave-nothing-on-the-table manner.

This January I finally had my FIRST experience with a bonafide VR headset. At CES, I was able to get a demo of the HTC Vive (still haven't done Oculus Rift, but I ordered one). I was immediately sold. It made me wish I could knock 30 years off my life and be 5 again growing up with this kind of technology to play with and expand my horizon of what the world is and can be. Pure magic. The demos were soo cool: Painting in a 3D virtual world, going under the water on a boat wreck with giant whales coming your way, working in a virtual office where you could manipulate anything in the environment, and even fixing a broken robot in a Tony Stark-like repair shop.

One of the things that quickly became apparent to me when thinking about getting a VR setup in my home is that the experience is only as good (or at least can be severely limited by) as the power of the laptop or PC running the headset. Need to push a lot of frames, f a s t.

So to that end, I want to make sure I have a killer, killer, killer PC setup to run my VR with. I'm not picky... it could be a gaming laptop, which would be great for transportability if I want to take the kit on the road with me (like when I visit my nephews and nieces out of town), or it could be a killer desktop setup that stays put at home. Or maybe both.

If you have recommendations on specific laptops (and configurations), or custom built units ground up, would love and appreciate hearing what you would do. I'm approaching this from a worry about the budget last type of scenario... I want the starting point to be what would you build if you're building your dream PC / VR machine.

Thanks!

Last edited:

CrackBerry Kevin

May 24, 2011
Visit site
@jmshub - Thanks for the reminder. Minimum specs are not too demanding. I know when I went for the HTC Vive demo they had some pretty beefy gaming laptops running the demos. The person running the demo said it's really, really demanding on the video card so for an awesome experience need that to be maximized.

I'm still looking on ideas for DREAM / BEST PC or Laptop at any cost. I haven't been all in on a PC for a while, and want to go there!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb