Usable RAM has suddenly shrunk dramatically?

damonator98

May 15, 2014
Visit site
So only today I've noticed that my usable RAM has shrunk to 1,99GB from ~3,7GB usable of 4GB installed. I'm using 64bit win 7 ultimate, so there should be no problem with the os. It was working normaly until now, RAM seems to be okay, since it's shown in bios and control panel. I have reverted bios settings to defaults, but that didn't help. Any suggestions how to fix this nonsense? :(

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Is it one 4GB stick, or two 2GB sticks? Either way, I'd shut the machine down and (after you've discharged all the static electricity in your body and/or use a wrist strap) try reseating the memory in their slots. Remember to never touch the gold contact surfaces of the memory.

Also, though you may have your BIOS using "auto" settings, check to make sure it's using the correct timings and voltage for your actual memory stick(s) (go by the sticker on your ram itself) Example: 8-8-8-24 1.65v

Another question, do you have a discrete video card in this system (a separate video card?), or are you using on-board proprietary video (graphics chip built in to your motherboard)?

Last edited:

damonator98

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I have two separate 2GB sticks in two slots. I tried to swap them, but that didn't change anything. And I'm using separate graphics card (msi HD 5750 to be precise). I'll check resource monitor and bios tomorrow and post an update. I wanted to add more ram, but now I'm a bit worried about my motherboard if this is it's problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos