Hi,

The typecover of my Surface 2 (RT) working less and less (actually, sent it back under warranty) and having now 2 years of Office 365 Home subscription for free, I have less and less reasons to stick to the S2 (which were : Office standalone and battery life).

I've never used my S2 *without* its typecover (sometimes flipped back), so I wonder if the next device couldn't be a convertible or something like the x360.

My needs are as follows:
    a) Weight : around or less than a kilogram
    b) Being able to process RAW fils, or stitch panoramas. I guess this means 6 GB RAM at least, and an appropriate CPU
    c) A good screen (to process my pictures)
    d) Good battery life
    e) Enough storage to allow a dual boot configuration (I process my pictures with Darktable, running on Linux). This could be a in a VM, but still, it requires enough storage. This probably means 512 GB disk I suppose
    f) Being able to use the laptop as a tablet ( la Yoga or x360)

I'm not necessarily inclined to go for a Surface Pro because, as I said, I've never used my current tablet without it's type cover. And I suspect the issues I have (keyboard not working, or repeating pressed keys like aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa) are linked to the detachable keyboard. That said, SP4 could be an option if it represents enough benefits compared to competition.

I'd appreciate your inputs. A 2015 or 2016 x360 could be a winner here, but I wonder if there are other possibilities. To be precise, I'm not a professional photographer, so the RAW part won't be needed daily, nor on big batches. And I'm not a gamer either :)

Thank you
    05-27-2016 07:45 AM
    Hi,

The typecover of my Surface 2 (RT) working less and less (actually, sent it back under warranty) and having now 2 years of Office 365 Home subscription for free, I have less and less reasons to stick to the S2 (which were : Office standalone and battery life).

I've never used my S2 *without* its typecover (sometimes flipped back), so I wonder if the next device couldn't be a convertible or something like the x360.

My needs are as follows:
    a) Weight : around or less than a kilogram
    b) Being able to process RAW fils, or stitch panoramas. I guess this means 6 GB RAM at least, and an appropriate CPU
    c) A good screen (to process my pictures)
    d) Good battery life
    e) Enough storage to allow a dual boot configuration (I process my pictures with Darktable, running on Linux). This could be a in a VM, but still, it requires enough storage. This probably means 512 GB disk I suppose
    f) Being able to use the laptop as a tablet ( la Yoga or x360)

I'm not necessarily inclined to go for a Surface Pro because, as I said, I've never used my current tablet without it's type cover. And I suspect the issues I have (keyboard not working, or repeating pressed keys like aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa) are linked to the detachable keyboard. That said, SP4 could be an option if it represents enough benefits compared to competition.

I'd appreciate your inputs. A 2015 or 2016 x360 could be a winner here, but I wonder if there are other possibilities. To be precise, I'm not a professional photographer, so the RAW part won't be needed daily, nor on big batches. And I'm not a gamer either :)

Thank you
    You can probably get something but the weight is a bit unrealistic. Probably 2 kg
    05-27-2016 07:56 AM
    You're right. Well the x360 is said to be 1,4 kg, let's say in that range.
    05-27-2016 09:02 AM