Looking for a good cheap digital note taking and email tablet

Revvin

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
I'm a project engineer in the construction industry managing five different sites and currently finding myself carrying around an increasing number of meeting notes with handwritten notes in the margins, drawings and other small notes in a zip up conference folder. What I'm looking to do is utilise OneNote to use as a site diary and note taking device for meetings. I find most meeting notes and agendas are circulated in .pdf form so putting them into OneNote and making notes on them using a stylus would help cut down on printing and carrying around reams of paper.

As its going to be taken to construction sites I don't really want to shell out on a Surface or anything more than around ?300 - I know I'm limiting my choice but I don't really need a massive spec and if it's damaged I just replace it cheaply. I've seen the Acer Aspire Switch 10 V on sale for ?249 with an active stylus, its processor is pretty much run of the mill for this price point and so is the RAM at 2GB my only concern is will 2GB of ram be sufficient for what I want to do. I've got OneNote set up with drawings converted from their original CAD .dwg format to .pdf and they generally come in at about 0.5-2mb and I'm just worried that it will struggle handling it all with such a small amount of RAM.

Anyone have this device? Is the stylus any good? What's it like for converting handwriting to text? (I used a Dell Axim PDA years ago and loved that feature) is 2GB enough for these tablets or am I going to get a stuttering slow experience?

ZoneofJhay

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
There will be obvious slow down if you try to multitask a 2gb ram machine too much. But if you don't wanna shell out too much then that should work on a consistent basis with minor hiccups here and there. I don't own that device but I have a windows 10 tablet with also just 2gb of ram. I'm an IT student and a game developer and I can actually run my game engine when I don't wanna bother opening my work machine with any combinations of few programs open like words, groove, onenote or a browser just fine.

For just pdf viewing and note taking, it will be more than enough that I even suggest looking a much cheaper win 10 tablet and just pick up a stylus individually unless you're all in with the metal body and usb c which really adds quite a lot on the price of that tablet. Plastic is still much better if you're holding the tablet all the time and is always on the move because it is less slippery.

Revvin

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Day to day it's not going to need to run more than OneNote and Outlook (though not necessarily at the same time) with occasional browser use. For OneNote it's for making site notes, use as a diary and a portable device to view A0 and A1 CAD drawings converted to .pdf which generally weigh in at no more than 2mb (I don't expect such a device to run CAD and besides I still have a laptop with me for the heavy stuff). It's the stylus support that really interests me for adding comments to meeting notes etc otherwise I'd consider something cheaper like the Linx 10

ZoneofJhay

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
Windows 10 isn't prime for stylus at the moment, believe me that its just a lacklaster experience right now. If you can wait for Ink on the anniversary update then go ahead and order it.

Honestly though, I recommend you to just buy an Android tablet. Its more mature as a device for stylus-use with reacher note apps that supports stylus with Google Keyboard+Google Handwriting to sweeten the experience of stylus. It also have a feature rich OneNote and alternatives like INKredible(what I'm using atm) and EverNote.

It also seems like that the type of device doesn't matter much as I used stylus on low-end up to mid-range tablets(even android phone) with ease and fun experience. It all comes down to what App you use and the quality of your stylus. I'm sure you can get something good for 300$ for both tablet and stylus. I recommend some Android tablets if you want or Windows tablets if you still wanna stick with Windows.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Revvin

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I'm currently using an iPad and have an Android phone but would like to give Windows 10 a try on a tablet. I've looked more into the Windows ink features so thanks for mentioning that as I'd not really paid much attention to it but it seems like it will be useful for what I want, especially things like the ruler for amending drawings. I'm guessing the update isn't that far away if it's the 'Anniversary' update as that would be next month. Another reason for going Windows would be for when I'm home I'd log out of my work account and use my home account which has some Microsoft Store bought movies which I view on my laptop and XBOX One but could also view on a tablet.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the same boat as you. I'm a PM and I'm constantly on the road visiting sites. I also used an Axim X51V back in the day and I still carry a Palm T/X to this very day for a quick scribble. There's an HP Pavilion x2 with stylus support you could look into and they're about $280 US. I've tried to incorporate OneNote but it can be a mess to print or share in the fewest steps possible. Windows Journal is still the best note taking "app" available but I'm afraid Microsoft is ditching this wonderful app with the Anniversary update. With Microsoft Print to PDF, you don't have to worry about sending a .jnt file.

I will say this, I've had everything from the Surface to Galaxy Tabs, iPads and other Windows devices. Palm rejection is still an issue no matter the platform. The ONLY way to guarantee no stray marks is to go with an older slate with Wacom active digitizers. No touchscreen but they are the absolute best for note taking. If you have Adobe Pro as I do, you'll really appreciate the accuracy that only a Wacom pen can give. I wish you luck because I'm still looking for the perfect machine.

Revvin

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
I think mine was a Dell Axim X3, we had a few bought for mobile engineers to input test certificates onto and I kept one back in the office to use. The other engineers used to laugh when I'd visit site with them and pulled it out to start taking notes while they used a pad and pen but it was me who would have the last laugh back at the office when I'd pop it into the docking cradle, download my notes and issue my reports in minutes while they still typed.

It's been something of a quest of mine to get that ability back but on a reasonable budget without spending a lot on a Surface etc. I'm not sure what digitiser the Acer Aspire Switch 10 V uses but I'm open to suggestions for other tabs and even looked at cheap Chinese imports like Chuwi but would rather stay with a more off the shelf brand available here in the UK if possible.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I would consider a ThinkPad Tablet 2 or older Clover Trail tablet with a stylus. Performance is middling on these older tablets but they're cheaper probably and it'll suffice for writing.

An 8" tablet is worth considering too, like the Asus VivoTab(?) Note 8.

And I actually miss the speedy information access of PDAs. I'm considering using an old Palm m500 for managing calendar, notes and todos this upcoming school year.

And for newer things, I'll leave it to others.

rory753

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm a civil engineer, and have used different variations of tablet/stylus since the SP2. I've used a samsung series 7, dell lattitude 10, sp2, sp3, s3, and now a sp4, as well as the dell venue 8 pro(1st gen) and the hp envy note 8. out of all of the makes, I really enjoyed the surface 3, however, when I'm marking up a pdf that has 200+ 11x17 pages(roughly 90MB's), it can slow down. I can use it, but this is primarily the reason i upgraded to the sp4. also, having the extra screen real estate is nice. If i was to recommend anything, it would be the sp4. otherwise, I would look at either the lenovo thinkpad 10 or the surface 3 that have 4gb's of ram with the latest atom x7 processor.

While i haven't tried it, i am curious about the hp spectre x2, since it has depth sensing cameras in the back. this means taking a picture of something, then being able to take measurements with it.

if you're worried about field conditions, there are armor cases for the sp4 or s3.

onenote's ability to convert handwriting to text is great. what's even better is that your handwriting is searchable. I've searched for things like catch basin, and it's been able to find my hand written "catch basin".

rory753

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I would consider a ThinkPad Tablet 2 or older Clover Trail tablet with a stylus. Performance is middling on these older tablets but they're cheaper probably and it'll suffice for writing.

An 8" tablet is worth considering too, like the Asus VivoTab(?) Note 8.

No, no, and no. clovertrail tablets are ok with windows 8 and 8.1, but they just don't upgrade well to win10, which you will want for all the annotation ability thats coming with the anniversary update. I've have both the thinkpad tab 2 and a asus vivotab note 8, and they just don't work as well as the newer atom processors, which have significant graphics upgrades. so, no, i would not recommend these tablets. if you're searching, look for an atom x7 tablet as the base for these things, which gets you basically the thinkpad 10 or the surface 3.

rory753

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I will say this, I've had everything from the Surface to Galaxy Tabs, iPads and other Windows devices. Palm rejection is still an issue no matter the platform. The ONLY way to guarantee no stray marks is to go with an older slate with Wacom active digitizers.

the sp1 and 2 had wacom digitizers, and handled palm rejection fine. the current wave of surface products handle palm rejection fine as well. i'm not sure what specifically your palm rejection issue was, but I've not had palm rejection problems.

Revvin

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
I really enjoyed the surface 3, however, when I'm marking up a pdf that has 200+ 11x17 pages(roughly 90MB's), it can slow down. I can use it, but this is primarily the reason i upgraded to the sp4. also, having the extra screen real estate is nice. If i was to recommend anything, it would be the sp4. otherwise, I would look at either the lenovo thinkpad 10 or the surface 3 that have 4gb's of ram with the latest atom x7 processor.

if you're worried about field conditions, there are armor cases for the sp4 or s3.

onenote's ability to convert handwriting to text is great. what's even better is that your handwriting is searchable. I've searched for things like catch basin, and it's been able to find my hand written "catch basin".

The Surface 3 is/was/maybe a consideration. As I'm buying this myself for work I'm being as tight-fisted as any buyer I've ever known for a company I've worked for :) The dilemma is the Surface 3 has far better accessory support like a rugged case, docks etc and overall has the nicer build quality where as the Acer Aspire Switch 10 V doesn't so it would primarily have to live in a sleeve and be brought out when needed, that said the Acer is ?100 cheaper and that includes an active stylus which would cost an additional ?44 for the Surface 3. The Surface 3 has slightly better specs, it has the X7 processor over the X5 in the Acer but the base model still has 2GB of RAM so I'm wondering is the CPU going to give me such a boost I'd notice the additional ?144 I'd be spending on the Surface 3? The Surface is the nicer device and I plan on getting a Surface Pro 4 for home use at a later date but I don't want to spend that much for something I'll be dragging around site getting full of dust ,rugged case or not.

rory753

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The Surface 3 is/was/maybe a consideration. As I'm buying this myself for work I'm being as tight-fisted as any buyer I've ever known for a company I've worked for :) ...

I've purchased all of my devices out of pocket as well. Since you will most likely be using this tool on a daily basis, I would recommend spending the extra money to get something that will perform better. the surface 3 can handle your at home task just fine(even by choosing to set up a separate home account on it). I think you will notice the difference between the acer and the surface. The only other thing to think about it future proofing. the atom x7 processor is nice, but the sp4 probably won't be upgraded anytime soon(they've rumored summer 2017). I've really enjoyed my surface pro4 for the extra screen it has. also, the windows hello feature works actually quite well.

my personal "case/jacket" is to buy the insurance, and if it gets buggered by something like a fall or what not, i bring it in, pay the money, then get a new one. so far, i haven't really needed this, but it's nice to know it's there.

I don't know if there is a microsoft store in your area, but i would also recommend buying from them as well. its helped a number of times when i've had questions to be able to walk in with the device and have help. they've always been able to fix it.

Revvin

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
I've purchased all of my devices out of pocket as well. Since you will most likely be using this tool on a daily basis, I would recommend spending the extra money to get something that will perform better. the surface 3 can handle your at home task just fine(even by choosing to set up a separate home account on it). I think you will notice the difference between the acer and the surface. The only other thing to think about it future proofing. the atom x7 processor is nice, but the sp4 probably won't be upgraded anytime soon(they've rumored summer 2017). I've really enjoyed my surface pro4 for the extra screen it has. also, the windows hello feature works actually quite well.

my personal "case/jacket" is to buy the insurance, and if it gets buggered by something like a fall or what not, i bring it in, pay the money, then get a new one. so far, i haven't really needed this, but it's nice to know it's there.

I don't know if there is a microsoft store in your area, but i would also recommend buying from them as well. its helped a number of times when i've had questions to be able to walk in with the device and have help. they've always been able to fix it.

I think I'm coming around to the idea of the Surface 3. It is ?100 more and I'd have to spend another ?44 on the stylus but it does have a decent selection of rugged cases available for it. The model I'd be looking at is the 2GB model to try and keep costs down, the 4GB model is almost another ?100 again and I'm then really busting my budget without even having a stylus and keyboard. I don't have a Microsoft store near me, I don't know if they even have any in the UK.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre