Laptop recommendations?

AsilentG

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
Hi, Im am wanting to find a laptop that can handle video editing, beat making and some steam games. My budget is $1000 , so if you can recommend any Laptop that will fit these needs, that would be grateful. Thank you so much if you help .

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi, Im am wanting to find a laptop that can handle video editing, beat making and some steam games. My budget is $1000 , so if you can recommend any Laptop that will fit these needs, that would be grateful. Thank you so much if you help .

that would be dependent on which country you're in and what is available locally there

But you should be looking for a laptop that has dedicated graphics, fast processor like i5 or i7, a newer generation processor is good like 5th or 6th gen, good screen like 14-17inch

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Is the HP - ENVY 17.3" ( m7-n109dx ) good ?

Looks fine to me. My issue is that it comes with a hard drive not an SSD. It's a big one, but it'll be a bottleneck most likely.
Whether it'll make a difference, probably only with loading times and editing.

Personally though I'm not a fan of both HP, given a bad history with their products, and laptops this size, because of their size.

AsilentG

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-07-15-10-04-28.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-07-15-10-04-28.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 3

AsilentG

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This thread has been moved to an appropriate forum...

As per this advice: Who Should Post in Ask a Question? WC members are free to post in all areas of the board. Please use Ask a Question only for time critical help issues that affect the immediate functionality of your device.

Threads Merged.

User... Do not create multiple threads on your issue. It actually works against you as any advice gets scattered around and a coherent conversation cannot develop as easily...

pkcable

VR Expert
Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
Re: is this laptop any good.

Will this laptop be good for video editing, beat making, and games? Don't really mind not having a DVD drive, I have a second laptop that I would be using as a storage holder, but if you can help, Thank You so much.

Laptop: Dell - Inspiron 2-in-1 15.6"
Model: I7569-1832GRY
Link to it: Dell Inspiron 2-in-1 15.6" Touch-Screen Laptop - Intel Core i7 - 12GB Memory - 512GB Solid State Drive Gray I7569-1832GRY - Best Buy

Do you HAVE to have touch? (Don't I know you from somewhere else?) Anyways THIS is the Dell I would get....

XPS 13 High Performance Laptop with InfinityEdge Display | Dell (I had the 2012 model)

PS I would probably STILL go in the other direction you are thinking. ;) (MBP or MBA)

AsilentG

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
Re: is this laptop any good.

Do you HAVE to have touch? (Don't I know you from somewhere else?) Anyways THIS is the Dell I would get....

XPS 13 High Performance Laptop with InfinityEdge Display | Dell (I had the 2012 model)

PS I would probably STILL go in the other direction you are thinking. ;) (MBP or MBA)

Lmao, sorry man, I really having trouble debating over windows and apple . I just wanted to see if the MBA was good for me if I switched to apple, and there so many windows laptops that I'm trying to scale down so I can see which one is right for me if I stay with windows.but thanks for helping me out man,really appreciate it , lol .

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Exactly, what Xandros said. They're low power parts, full voltage parts usually either end with MQ or HQ or some such derivative at the end of their name - and the voltage and clockspeed delta between them makes a big difference in performance. Most processors you will find in Ultrabooks, slim and thins, and tablets are going to be U series parts, with low TDP packages for better thermals and batterylife, but far worse performance for specific or such oriented applications.

And also, the branding between them differs/varies widely. I'll give an example here. The i7 parts you see in all the ultrabooks, tablets, and the surface lines as well - with a premium charge on them - are basically just higher clocked, higher binned dual core parts with hyper threading enabled. Outside of higher turbos, and better clocking and binning, IGP, theres virtually no difference between one of these, and an i5 part. These are all ULV or low powered processors ofcourse. However, on a full powered mobile part, which would have a package power of between 35-55 watts, I forget, the i5 will be a dualcore, hyperthreaded part, and an i7 will be a quadcore, hyperthreaded part, with similar clockspeeds et al. A difference of two extra cores, and four more threads.

In real life scenarios, this is how it plays out. You open a large CAD file, or a large Rhino/3DSMax/Sketchup model, or set up a high definition V-Ray/Lumion/et cetera render, and your ULV i7 and i5 machines are going to come crashing down to their knees, in a slow crawl, whilst the full voltage mobile parts are going to take a little while longer before they start falling apart in the same vein, hopefully shaving you a few minutes off those important renders, or modeling or drafting a little faster for a while more. Your mileage may vary across different disciplines, ofcourse.

On a performance grouping, its going to be the mobile i5, the ULV i7, and the ULV i5, in that order, for performance in most cases, grouped in the same class, and the the mobile i7, in a separate performance delta, slightly higher than other three. A good GPU is also a good idea, usually though, just saying. :)

Hope this was kind of exhaustive, for said purposes. :)

-- W

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Exactly, what Xandros said. They're low power parts, full voltage parts usually either end with MQ or HQ or some such derivative at the end of their name - and the voltage and clockspeed delta between them makes a big difference in performance. Most processors you will find in Ultrabooks, slim and thins, and tablets are going to be U series parts, with low TDP packages for better thermals and batterylife, but far worse performance for specific or such oriented applications.

And also, the branding between them differs/varies widely. I'll give an example here. The i7 parts you see in all the ultrabooks, tablets, and the surface lines as well - with a premium charge on them - are basically just higher clocked, higher binned dual core parts with hyper threading enabled. Outside of higher turbos, and better clocking and binning, IGP, theres virtually no difference between one of these, and an i5 part. These are all ULV or low powered processors ofcourse. However, on a full powered mobile part, which would have a package power of between 35-55 watts, I forget, the i5 will be a dualcore, hyperthreaded part, and an i7 will be a quadcore, hyperthreaded part, with similar clockspeeds et al. A difference of two extra cores, and four more threads.

In real life scenarios, this is how it plays out. You open a large CAD file, or a large Rhino/3DSMax/Sketchup model, or set up a high definition V-Ray/Lumion/et cetera render, and your ULV i7 and i5 machines are going to come crashing down to their knees, in a slow crawl, whilst the full voltage mobile parts are going to take a little while longer before they start falling apart in the same vein, hopefully shaving you a few minutes off those important renders, or modeling or drafting a little faster for a while more. Your mileage may vary across different disciplines, ofcourse.

On a performance grouping, its going to be the mobile i5, the ULV i7, and the ULV i5, in that order, for performance in most cases, grouped in the same class, and the the mobile i7, in a separate performance delta, slightly higher than other three. A good GPU is also a good idea, usually though, just saying. :)

Hope this was kind of exhaustive, for said purposes. :)

-- W

I've learned something new - this should come in handy when looking for my next laptop

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Most people dont need to know all this Chintan, because they dont need all that hardware anyways, for a regular user, even a ULV i5 is going to be a good bet for day to day tasks, web browsing, office, simple games and the like. And that is why Asus and Acer, Lenovo et al putting out cheap ultrabooks makes sense, both for the consumer, and the business. Which is kind of why I often dont get why people overpay so much for ULV i7 parts, prime example being the surface line of devices, when they're really just better clocked i5 parts with improved GPUs, but maybe thats just me. :)

On that note, I do carry around a power brick heavier than some people's entire notebooks are, so what would I know. Eh.

-- W

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Most people dont need to know all this Chintan, because they dont need all that hardware anyways, for a regular user, even a ULV i5 is going to be a good bet for day to day tasks, web browsing, office, simple games and the like. And that is why Asus and Acer, Lenovo et al putting out cheap ultrabooks makes sense, both for the consumer, and the business. Which is kind of why I often dont get why people overpay so much for ULV i7 parts, prime example being the surface line of devices, when they're really just better clocked i5 parts with improved GPUs, but maybe thats just me. :)

On that note, I do carry around a power brick heavier than some people's entire notebooks are, so what would I know. Eh.

-- W
I have a surface 3 and it works mostly well but my laptop with i7 3rd gen can do some work faster and better
I would rather have a great 17inch laptop than a small 2 in 1 - I know I'll be doing some serious work soon

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire