Inspiron vs. XPS

bbarend

Jan 25, 2017
Visit site
Need some help deciding between two computers. I'm looking at the Dell Inspiron 15 7000 2 in 1 with 7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-7500U Processor (4M Cache, up to 3.5 GHz) and the "New" XPS 15 with 7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ Quad Core Processor.

The XPS is touted as the higher performance machine, but has less RAM and less storage (although it is SSD). Perhaps I don't understand the difference in the type of RAM. The XPS has a much nicer screen, but is not touch enabled. On a laptop this large touch may be pointless.

I plan to use this for a lot of photo editing and some video editing and I would like for it to be as future proof as possible.

Any advice would be appreciated.

bbarend

Jan 25, 2017
Visit site
Does anyone know the difference in these two processors? I see comparisons to i7 vs i5, but not the variants within i7.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I believe the i#-####U processors are lower power so for your use the other may be preferable. More RAM would be nice but I think the SSD and higher performance XPS is what you're looking for especially for editing.

Touch is nice to have but probably isn't a selling point here. If anything I think a convertible with active pen support would be nice.

I would also look into repairability and upgradeability. I'm a bit biased towards business / fleet laptops like the Latitude lineup.

bbarend

Jan 25, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the input, I am definitely leaning toward the XPS right now. The "new" 2017 model has a lot of stellar reviews out there. Most of the Inspiron reviews are for the "gaming" version. I had been considering a Surface Book with the pen, but it get really expensive quick.

I have a Latitude as my work computer. It is decent, but a bit on the heavy side.

bbarend

Jan 25, 2017
Visit site
I decided to go with the XPS. Also went the pseudo cheap route. Got the i7-7700HQ processor with the HD display instead of the 4K. This also gave me 8GB RAM and 256 SSD. I'll probably upgrade the RAM right away and then see how storage plays out.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3