Any laptops out there WITHOUT Windows 10?

thepittsmn

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
I need a new laptop, but I don't want Windows 10. Windows 8 is bad enough. Are there any laptops out there that don't have Windows 10?

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I need a new laptop, but I don't want Windows 10. Windows 8 is bad enough. Are there any laptops out there that don't have Windows 10?

Look at Tigerdirect if you're in the US. They have a lot of closeout or refurbs with the older OS versions.

pkcable

VR Expert
Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
Re: Any laptops out there without Windows 10?

Are you looking for an older version of Windows such as Windows 7, OR are you open to another OS? Mac's are a great option IF you can afford them, BUT you don't get as much bang for your buck. HOWEVER you do get a great, well built machine. Premium laptop for a premium price. Another good option is either a Chromebook, or a Linux based laptop. These are 2 other alternative OS laptops that are much more affordably priced. Linux can be tough to learn and use as it is more tech that most, BUT those laptops are very affordable. Chromebooks range in cost from affordable to premium (Pixel C), and are designed to mainly work when connected to the internet or a cellular connection.

grahamf

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Re: Any laptops out there without Windows 10?

ChromeBook, probably the very best solution if you really don't understand computers, but it's a tad limited
Some manufacturers have linux version of their laptops, and they can be decent but sometimes requires a lot of technical expertise to fix problems
and MacBook, which used to be good but I'm beginning to think Apple is seriously planning to kill off macOS and pretend iOS can replace it.
I don't really recommend running an older version of Windows. They are already slated to get upgrades that will make then act a little more like Windows 10 then they already do, and then soon all support will be dropped.

But it might be best to simply accept Windows 10 and figure out how to make it work for you. Whenever I visit my Linux-****** stepbrother I'm annoyed by how he hasn't even bothered to remove the annoying "Get Office" app - compared to his system, my version of Windows 10 runs perfectly quiet and transparently.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Stating your desired OS and version might help get a more pointed answer... Also what capabilities you are looking for.

As grahamf says above, be careful you don't find yourself out of support and with no patches to fix issues and vulnerabilities. Hackers love old, unsupported OS versions as they can exploit away with fear.

You can but a modern system and put a different OS on it if you buy a license for, say, Windows 7. You could get Linux for free in many different flavors. Again, knowing more of what you want would definitely help us to help you...

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I just found a laptop on Tigerdirect in refurbs that has Vista on there :grin:

I'm shopping for a notebook myself...

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
My workhorse is a Motion Computing J3400 and I had it on 10 Pro. It worked pretty good and I had zero problems with drivers but I put it back on 7 Ultimate only because of Windows Journal. I've had dozens tablets and slates but there's nothing I can't throw at this rig that it can't handle. Oh and 4G connectivity from factory is a major plus. Not too many portables have it anymore for some reason.

Sent from my Lumia 1520 on mTalk

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
To divert...
A question for the notebook gallery here:
Are fully integrated Intel graphics a bummer for otherwise beefy hardware specs?

I was looking at an Acer notebook with an Nvidia 9XX mobile gpu@2GB running with an Intel i5 6200U.
Will this make a massive difference with CAD renders?
It's my understanding GPU for display speed and CPU for intense graphics processing.
I'm trying stay below 6 bills...

I've been fooling with PC's for 25 years and still have a hard time knowing what is what.
:unhappysweat:

grahamf

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm not going to say that I had PTSD because that's just silly, but talking about Vista has brought up a lot of unpleasant memories. Still, it is your choice and I did advise you otherwise. I won't keep tabs on you, so you'll just have to imagine me saying "I told you so" if it eventually comes to that.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm not going to say that I had PTSD because that's just silly, but talking about Vista has brought up a lot of unpleasant memories. Still, it is your choice and I did advise you otherwise. I won't keep tabs on you, so you'll just have to imagine me saying "I told you so" if it eventually comes to that.

Who the OP?
I wouldn't touch Vista with a 10 foot pole :)

pkcable

VR Expert
Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
Getting a 9xx video card will save you money but the 10xx cards are loads better it's a mass jump is performance, like 50% better.

Joshua Muldoon

Jan 17, 2017
Visit site
Pretty much decided on this one:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DT4A2R...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3621481

It's plenty for me plus I have an extra 256GB Corsair SSD I can add in.
Maybe I'll go for extra RAM down the line.

Yeah, that is a good brand and laptop make from them. If you have a Costco membership or one near you, they are selling this F15 with an upgraded processor and extra RAM
https://m.costco.com/Acer-Aspire-F1...--2GB-Graphics---1080p.product.100312021.html

pkcable

VR Expert
Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
Pretty much decided on this one:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DT4A2R...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3621524

It's plenty for me plus I have an extra 256GB Corsair SSD I can add in.
Maybe I'll go for extra RAM down the line.

Should be good as a general computer, and will play the occasion game but serious gaming you'll need to turn down the settings on the game if possible, or suffer through slow game play. But I suspect for the stuff you will do with the computer you will be fine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786