Factory resetting a laptop - OS related

MikeyBugs95

Feb 22, 2017
Visit site
I have a HP Pavilion Dv7 I no longer use and I'd like to be rid of it because it's nearly (starting to) falling apart. It originally ran Windows 7 but I updated it (successfully) to Win10 during the free upgrade period. I'd like to factory reset the machine but I'm not sure if it will retain an OS. I'm not as worried if it will revert to Win7 as I am about it retaining any OS. So my question: will it retain an OS or will I need to load a new OS on to it?

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
The Win 10 OS reset option will just move the system back to a fresh state retaining Windows 10.
Is the HP recovery partition still on the hard disc?
If the W10 upgrade didn't wipe it be sure to disallow that from trying to recover the OS.

Good luck there.

MikeyBugs95

Feb 22, 2017
Visit site
I'm trying to completely reset the computer. Basically taking it from where it is now to being a "new" system - in theory. So a brand new system with a clean OS. Like I said, I'm fine if I do a complete system factory reset and it leaves the computer with Windows 7 upon restart. I'm fine it comes back up with Windows 10 upon restart. But what I don't want is to restart the system and find that I need to load a new OS of any type on or that my personal information is still contained on the device because I will be disposing of the computer.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So on the surface it looks like you simply need to go to Settings > Update & Security > Recovery > Learn how to start fresh with a clean installation of Windows...

Capture02.png

That would give you a Windows 10 OS with no personal data. A clean slate.

But here is the important question: Will you keep the laptop or is it destined for someone else?

Issue: the Windows 10 License is tied to your Microsoft Account. Fine if you want to keep the laptop, not so good if it is going to someone else. You could sign back in to a clean install with your Microsoft Account and it will activate. You cannot leave it at the setup screen and pass the laptop to someone else. The free upgrade period is over, they will not have a License stored in the cloud for this machine tied to their Microsoft Account. They would need to purchase Windows 10 outright at this point in time. And you don't want a machine tied to your Microsoft Account in someone else's hands.

So what is your end game? Keep the laptop? Give it or sell it it to someone else?

MikeyBugs95

Feb 22, 2017
Visit site
End game is the laptop going to someone else. If the Win10 license won't be able to be loaded on, would Win7 then be loaded on because the computer was originally a Win7 device?

The hard drives will be removed nonetheless.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The hard drives will be removed nonetheless.

¿¿¿ o_O ???

That must be an erroneous statement. If you remove the hard drives, where will the OS reside on the laptop? I think you want to ensure the HDD is clean so the next user isn't accidentally seeing your data?

Yeah, the best scenario has Windows 7 back on the laptop so the next user has no License issues.

First step,make sure you can get Windows 7 activated onto the laptop. Maybe you have an install disk and key? If yes, use that. If not, do the following.
  1. Download this freeware: Produkey
  2. Run the .exe right out of the folder by double clicking it (this is a no install utility)
  3. In the pop-up window, locate the (BIOS OEM Key) entry and copy it down. This should be your original key for 7
  4. You will need the key to download an ISO file from here: https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...2Fsoftware-download%2Fwindows7&token=9NA1l0jC
Capture01.png

So either you have a disk and key or you retrieved your key and need to burn a disk. To burn a DVD copy of Windows 7 see this post: http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10-how-guides/410909-burn-iso-natively-windows-10-a.html

So now you want to clean up your HDD:

1. Download SystemRescueCd (this is a "live" Linux distro that boots from media and requires no install)
  2. Burn SystemRescueCD to CD
  3. Enter UEFI or BIOS and make sure your boot priority will use the CD/DVD drive as a first priority. (See your OEM support pages if you need help for this)
  4. Put SystemRescueCD into the drive and reboot your laptop. Follow the prompts to boot into SystemRescueCD. Use the GParted Utility to merge and format all your existing partitions. NTFS is the recommended format. Like most who upgraded to 10, you likely have several partitions for recovery. Go ahead and merge them all into the main partition, the new install will partition as needed and the format afterward and subsequent install should make the system safe to pass on.
  5. Remove the SystemRescueCD from the CD/DVD tray and insert the Windows 7 DVD. Reboot from within SystemRescueCD by opening a Terminal window and typing (no quotes) "reboot" and pressing enter.
  6. This will reboot and you simply follow the prompts to install 7 from your prepared media. Leave it at the first Setup Screen for the next user to start from scratch. Remove the media. Shut Down.
  7. Be a sport and pass along the SystemRescueCD and Windows 7 DVD (along with the Product Key) to the next user

Good luck.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3