Intel vs AMD or Nvidia vs AMD? Which do you prefer in your build?

L0n3N1nja

Dec 22, 2016
Visit site
I was an AMD ****** back when Athlon 64 spanked Pentium 4, it's when I got into PC building and I used AMD/Nvidia back than. When Vista launched I updated 3 desktops, NONE of them could support the native resolution of my monitors (1680x1050) the video drivers were broken on 3 different GPUs and after waiting a few months still not fixed. Replaced all 3 with ATI cards.

Haven't gone back to Nvidia since, I've also never built or owned a desktop with an Intel processor. Keep in mind my last PC build is a Phenom II and I still use it. If AMD was still on the Bulldozer failure I would get Intel, but I prefer Ryzen if I build a new computer.

I have owned several Intel based laptops, currently have 3 devices with Intel, but for a custom build I view AMD as the better value.

Mihai Bojescu

Sep 29, 2017
Visit site
Simple question for the WC community

Which CPU and GPU manufacture does the community prefer?

Maybe you can share why you choose and prefer that manufacture?

Maybe you can share how much you paid for it? (I usually find them on some sort of sale or discounted price on eBay or Newegg)

How long have you had them for?

Discussion is open to all.

AMD because of better Linux drivers. Currently owning an Acer e5-575g-5538 with Nvidia graphics and Intel for CPU, but hopefully not for long.. Nvidia drivers are terrible under Linux.

Sardoc Spamfish

Apr 20, 2017
Visit site
I for one am very happy AMD is pretty much back in the game when it comes to the CPU market. Intel were fouling their pants this year, and good lord do the customers need it.

I hope AMD gets their act together and releases good graphics cards capable of competing with the most powerful Nvidia ones. Nvidia seriously needs competition, and their recent appalling practices (the 4gb-but-not-reall-4gb-GF1070 and other stuff) are more than enough proof.

milkybuet

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
I don't prefer any of them. I'll get whichever has the best balance of performance and price at the moment. Since my first time owning a PC, AMD hasn't had a competitive CPU, but right now Ryzen gets my vote. On the GPU side AMD has had better performance where I could recommend them over a Nvidia on a couple of generations.

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
I use intel and Nvidia

My PC is Using Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 from and GT 440 GPU, still kicking for game I play, everyday task, and more thing

so far I haven't encounter any driver issues or such, I'm quiet satisfied with it and it running most thing fine with nice speed

if I'm going 2 replace mine I'll get another Intel + Nvidia setup, but I don't think that will happen anytime soon :)

camptime

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Only build a new pc every few years so not about to give AMD a try any time soon but would never use there GPU as they always seem to underperformed. So Nvidia all the way for me.

F240775s

Sep 30, 2017
Visit site

Maybe you can share how much you paid for it? (I usually find them on some sort of sale or discounted price on eBay or Newegg)

Aditya Sinha

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site

Intel and nVidia. Enjoying my i7 4930k with GTX 980Ti. Intel and nVidia has been a consistent performers. Though slightly overpriced but the performance lasts long.

Groover1971

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
The last two desk computers that I built from completely new components used AMD processors, mainly because of the value of processing power vs cost. In the past I have always preferred Nvidia graphics cards.

For my last build, a couple of years ago, I went with ATI (R9 390X) along with an AMD FX-8350 processor. My only problem that I've had was heat build up when the graphics card was stressed. That was solved by adding a couple of fans.

This gave me a gaming system at a decent price. When I look at building a computer from the ground up, I look to making one last as long as I can (future proofing). With 16 GB of ram, I should be ok for a few more years.

But for my 2-in-1 laptop, the Intel M3 processor is amazing for its power and battery efficiency (fanless). It's hard to compare desktops and laptops.

BsvsVijay

Oct 2, 2017
Visit site

Zidern

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
For CPU I simply use whatever fits my budget and needs, right now I'm looking to get a Ryzen. For GPU I have always preferred AMD over nVidia, they work so much better with multiple monitors IMO.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes