Intel vs AMD or Nvidia vs AMD? Which do you prefer in your build?

Josiah23

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
Simple question for the WC community

Which CPU and GPU manufacture does the community prefer?

Maybe you can share why you choose and prefer that manufacture?

Maybe you can share how much you paid for it? (I usually find them on some sort of sale or discounted price on eBay or Newegg)

How long have you had them for?

Discussion is open to all.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
In my younger years, I was a big fan of AMD on the CPU side and ATI (now AMD) on the GPU side... ATI, mainly because they seemed to have the fancy cards for video capture...

In more recent years, AMD kind of fell from grace, in my eyes anyway... Intel just made better CPUs and NVidia GPUs just seemed to be more widely supported (SolidWorks / AutoCAD).

However, The Ryzen CPUs have caught my eye... If I was building a gaming rig today, it would be a Ryzen 7 CPU and NVidia GPU.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
I don't trust AMD so I am all for nVidia and Intel! 0 regrets for updating my rig with Intel and nVidia components

Sent from mTalk on my Lumia 950

Josiah23

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
I don't trust AMD so I am all for nVidia and Intel! 0 regrets for updating my rig with Intel and nVidia components

Sent from mTalk on my Lumia 950

Lol. Nice!

I'm the exact same, I've use both AMD and nVidia but always liked nVidia a bit better... and I've always used an Intel CPU throughout my life. :p

causalityWin

Jul 9, 2017
Visit site
It's about price and performance, no reason to stick to a brand beyond that. That said, I'd say intel and nVidia have been overall the ones with better offerings for quite some time. That is until Ryzen came along, not that long ago, and AMD's become once again a strong contender in the CPU market.

Jason Angle

Jun 18, 2016
Visit site
Like to see AMD trying to get back in the fight but Intel and Nvidia combos still provide the most powerful combo, granted that comes at a premium cost though.

TennisGuy45

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
I'd love to have both AMD CPU and GPU but it seems they can never get both divisions in sync.

So right now I have an AMD CPU because they offer a lot of cores and performance for the price plus the guarantee of being able to upgrade my processor in the mobo for at least 2 years (unlike Intel forcing you to change mobo for anything).

I waited for Vega but it was not really good. It uses way too much power and they were unable to release a full true 4k 60fps card. So right now I am running an Nvidia 1080ti.

premcvijayan

Sep 29, 2017
Visit site
I liked AMD Ryzen's for their excellent performance for multi threaded applications. As you all know most of the apps these days are multi threaded to speed up performance.

Same thing goes with AMD Vega 56. and the RX 480s. Excellent value for money proposition. I was on core an I-5 earlier and its a day and night difference for applications used for video editing etc, where Ryzen blows away competition.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Now, just to flesh out my vote, on the CPU front I prefer AMD but in no small part because that's what I know. When I was younger and poorer I found it easy to pick up cheap 2nd hand and eventually 1st hand AMD CPUs and mobos. I also appreciate a good core count (I currently have a Ryzen 1700X in my big rig). I do use Intel CPUs in my tablet, laptop, works laptop and HTPC under the telly. Largely because there was no option. They are fine chips all, but I love an AMD chip in my desktop.

That said, where was the option to vote ARM? The power behind my Lumia 930 and Lumia 950XL is surely the greatest? It sits in my hand and certainly gets more use than any other CPU I own (like most of the people voting I'll bet). Plus I'm British and grew up with Sinclair and Acorn, so ARM makes me feel great too. No ARM option on the poll? Probably because the result would be an obvious landslide.

For GPU I have put down Nvidia in the vote because that's what I have now (GTX 1080). I love AMD cards but there's no 1080 competitor. The best card I ever had for wow factor was an ATi X800 pro. If they get back there, I'm buying AMD to be sure.

neilbey

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
As far as building a cheap, good-enough PC as a HTPC or entry level gaming rig, I prefer AMD. I'm not discerning enough to really care about FPS and chasing the rabbit for best of everything with regards to fidelity.

I built a HTPC with a10-7860k and a r7 360 for under $300, and it does the job fine. Plays the games I want on my 1080p projector setup at a good enough resolution and graphical fidelity setting to keep me happy as a very casual pc gamer.

If I was going to build something better, I'd still do AMD CPU (and maybe NVidia on GPU). Bang for the buck, one can't beat AMD CPUs. GPU is a bit muddier - entry to mid level, NVIDIA and AMD, I feel, are neck and neck (maybe NVidia eeking out a win).

DHGxFallenAngel

Sep 27, 2017
Visit site

Maybe you can share how much you paid for it? (I usually find them on some sort of sale or discounted price on eBay or Newegg)

i prefer AMD Ryzen5 1600/1600x and while ill admit nvidia offers more effecient and powerful gpu's is till side with amd! id love to catch a good pricing on a rx580 but the damn price gouging rn is crazy!

asoyemi

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site

For CPU, I am a big fan of AMD and resent Ryzen line (for cost and overclocking)
For GPU, A big fan of Radeon (cost to performance ration and good graphics software to enhance the experience)
For SoC (in this case the little computing guys) Intel Atoms.

jlema847

Sep 29, 2017
Visit site

AMD for both.I do a lot of gaming and I never have any problems. I have use Nvidia but I have had some problems with the drivers.

bobsentell

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
AMD on both CPU and GPU. AMD chipsets work better with video editing than the Intel/nVidia combo. They also handle gaming fine. I'm not a pixel counter but as long as it can handle my two 1080p displays then I'm happy.

When I build my PC, I go to CyberPower PC and build the one I want to ensure maximum compatibility. I then gather the parts list and buy it from either Amazon or Newegg, whichever is cheaper.

Mike Ryan2

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site

Which CPU and GPU manufacture does the community prefer? AMD

Maybe you can share why you choose and prefer that manufacture? Less evil than Intel and NVIDIA

Maybe you can share how much you paid for it? (I usually find them on some sort of sale or discounted price on eBay or Newegg) I bought it in a notebook for 390$, refurbished

How long have you had them for? 3 Years

Sunstorming

May 23, 2015
Visit site
I never owned an AMD GPU, and probably won't as I see no advantage from them over Nvidia. However, I have always used AMD in my own builds... the only Intel stuff I own is what is in my Surface Pro, and with Ryzen out I will never use an Intel CPU for a personal build.

AccentAE86

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
My preference bounces depending on the competition landscape.

-It was first Intel all the way in the 80s
-Intel + ATI/AMD GPU for the early 90s. ATI had the best. ATI VGA Wonder anyone?
-AMD CPU and NVIDIA GPU in the late 90s early 2000s. AMD Athlons were awesome, and NVIDIA had Diamond Viper
-Then in the 2000s, AMD CPUs seemed to fall from grace, so Intel all the way. Seemed to be wash between ATI/NVIDIA
-2010s NVIDIA seemed to take favour amongst the hardcores, Intel was dominating CPU
-Today, with Ryzen out, I would totally go high end Ryzen. I'm ok with mid level GPU so I'd take AMD in this case, knowing that NVIDIA has the top performance crown.

So I've never been loyal... just use what suits me most at the time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos