W10 Updates? and other tablet issues.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Today I received my new Windows 10 8" Tablet. It's a NuVision TM800W610L Signature Edition with the Atom x5-Z8300 processor.

Though this is advertised as the new "2017" model, it came with Windows 10 Home version 1506. That's the original release version of Windows 10, when it had a lot of issues. I was able to get it to upgrade to 1511, but can't get to the Anniversary Edition or Creators Update. I've even put myself on the Insider Program, but am still unable to get the updates. It keeps telling me I'm up-to-date, which is a lie and I know it.

I've got a couple of apps that require the Anniversary Update and one that requires the Creators Update, so this is a real killer for me. Not to mention, I need to "Pick Up Where I Left Off" quite often, so I need Creators.

Any suggestions? Never had this issue.

Last edited:

davidhk129

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
Re: Can't get W10 Updates?

Today I received my new Windows 10 8" Tablet. It's a NuVision TM800W610L Signature Edition with the Atom x5-Z8300 processor.

Though this is advertised as the new "2017" model, it came with Windows 10 Home version 1506. That's the original release version of Windows 10, when it had a lot of issues. I was able to get it to upgrade to 1511, but can't get to the Anniversary Edition or Creators Update. I've even put myself on the Insider Program, but am still unable to get the updates. It keeps telling me I'm up-to-date, which is a lie and I know it.

I've got a couple of apps that require the Anniversary Update and one that requires the Creators Update, so this is a real killer for me. Not to mention, I need to "Pick Up Where I Left Off" quite often, so I need Creators.

Any suggestions? Never had this issue.

I have suggestions. However since you are so far behind, I am not sure you can "leap-frog" from version 1511 to 1703 which is the current Win 10 version.
That said, I have not read anything that says " it can't be done".

Here is the Media Creation Tool (MCT) link which contains the version 1703 (Creators Update).
https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...Fsoftware-download%2Fwindows10&token=EpT_zDAu

3 options you can try with the MCT :

1. Click the Update Now button.
That will bring out the Update Assistant to check if your system is "ready" for upgrade.
If approved, it will start downloading and then installing.

2. Click the Download Tool Now button.
Run it.
Select Create a installation media for another PC.
That will start downloading the iso file.

Once downloaded, you can right click at the iso file > click Mount > click Setup (or setup.exe).
That will start installation.

OR,

3. Burn the iso file to a bootable media and use it to do a Clean Install.

Note :
Option #1 and #2 will allow you to keep you files, settings and most apps ( apps that are incompatible with Win 10 will be either removed or rendered inoperable.)
No product key is required.
Activation is automatic.

Option #3 will not allow you to keep anything.
During installation, you will be asked for a product key.
Select the SKIP option or the "I do not have a product key" option and continue.
Activation is automatic if installation is successfully completed.

Last edited:

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site

I forgot all about using the ISO. Thanks so much! Sounds like something I would have suggested to someone else had I not been stressed and sleep deprived.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site

Got set up this morning. Working great. When I leave a review for my tablet on Amazon, I'll be sure to tell people how to get it updated.

I have a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse to use with this new tablet, but the tablet does not function well with Bluetooth keyboard. The keyboard works flawlessly on 3 other devices, so I know it's the crappy Bluetooth on the tablet. It works with the mouse and Bluetooth speakers just fine. Pressing keys on the keyboard either don't respond or responds by outputting multiple keypresses, at times up to 30 or more of the same character. Can't get through a single word without messing up, so am forced to use the on-screen keyboard.

If anyone has an idea how to overcome this keyboard issue, I'd love some help.
Sample output:
Thissssss is how the keyboard tyyyyyyyyypes for me. Very diffiiiiiiiiiiicult to wwwwwwwwwwork with it like thissssssss.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I have the 560L version. I haven't hooked it up to a Bluetooth keyboard or mouse yet. I have noticed that when streaming video with audio to BT, cause the speakers suck, everything stuttered. I'm thinking it's got to be an issue with the driver. Check NuVisions site. There's a Downloads section under support.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I downloaded the driver from the NuVision support. It wouldn't install.

I went to Device Manager and Uninstalled the Bluetooth hardware device. I had to restart to finish the uninstall. When Windows rebooted, it re-installed the drivers. That fixed the issue.

So, yes, it was a driver issue. Still have a stutter with the keyboard once in a while, and Windows still isn't using the correct driver, but it's better than it was. I'm at least at a point where it is usable. I just didn't want the USB keyboard/mouse combo, because you can't charge the tablet at the same time that way, which is a real drag.

Thanks everyone for the help and ideas.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
DO NOT DO A CLEAN INSTALL.

Tablets bake all the drivers into the OS, and if you do a clean install, you'll have a tablet without touch drivers or gyros or cameras.

It's possible to do clean installs on tablets, but REALLY not a good idea generally.

Use the upgrade assistant, to manually get the upgrades.

Or run the install media from within windows to do a non-destructive upgrade (keep apps and files) - BTW if you don't see "keep apps and files", when using the install media, don't click through.

Also, because the drivers are baked in, its worth keeping a backup of tablets. Macrium reflect free is the best choice for tablets.

Using a driver assistant can be useful on tablets, as it will update rare hard to find generic drivers. Be warned though, sometimes a driver update on those can also go very wrong (like my tablets sound driver), so use system restore points if you try to update all the drivers.

And yeah sometimes a screwy driver can be fixed just by removing it fully, and letting windows sort it out. But poor Bluetooth- yes it causes issues with keyboards, and with audio. That said, I've had issues on stuck key effects only with some keyboards and not with others. So I think the keyboard itself can play in there. As can the battery level of the keyboard. So if your keyboard isn't working well, another better one might.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05