Can old XP Desktop be upgraded to win 7 or 8

jolo100

Apr 20, 2017
Visit site
I am helping a woman who has an old XP and has very little money.
I was wondering if it would be possible, to upgrade the OS and if it is worth it, meaning, will it work, would there be hours of trouble shooting? Maybe it can be a total reformat install? It would be used basically for WP and email. Connecting a printer that can be networked would be great.
Thanks, Jon

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Windows 7 basic shouldn't be much of a problem from XP.
Old hardware will be the issue as far as upgrading.

Out of curiosity what are the system details for the PC that will be upgraded?

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I've upgraded an old HP from XP, to Vista, to 7, 8, and now it's on 10. A little slow but it gets the job done and is fine for a guests to use.

davidhk129

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
I was wondering if it would be possible, to upgrade the OS and if it is worth it, meaning, will it work, would there be hours of trouble shooting?

I would suggest that you run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to make sure your XP hardware can support Windows 7.
Unless you get the "green light" from the Advisor, don't bother to think about the next step.

Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor
https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...nload%2Fdetails.aspx%3Fid%3D20&token=95jUsOqX

XP comes with 32-bit. It does not have a 64-bit processor.
So, your Win 7 selection has to be 32-bit

***Win 7 Upgrade version will be cheaper than a full version. If it is still available in the market.***

Adding :

I wouldn't consider Win 8 for the lady. A learning curve she might not care to partake.

Last edited:

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
XP to Windows 7 should be fine. As said already, depending on the specs, the Basic edition may be the best option, or, if it can manage it, Windows 7 Home.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs