Anyone recommend a laptop for really heavy use?

TheDarkSide1

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
As the question states, are there any great laptop choices someone recommends to get for heavy workloads? Video editing, photoshop and working with game engines and 3D modeling applications are probably the only applications I'll use on it (maybe Google, but I have my phone for that, lol)

I'm fine with throwing a fat stash of money on the table but definitely NOT something with that will drain my bank account down the toilet and out into the ocean! Lol

Touchscreen would be a plus but I'm not too worried about it if its not, as I'm good with a mouse or track pad

Storage and RAM don't matter too much since they're both usually upgradable

I just need something that can get things done when I'm not near my PC or I'm out of town.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
No expert here.
I did get the Acer E-15/E5-575G-53VG (no idea what those numbers are)

Seems fast with the i5 7200U and Nvidia 940MX in there.
It's up-gradable...I slipped an extra 1 TB drive in it to help keep the SSD from filling up with crap.

I use Lightroom, DXO and a small amount of video edits on it.
Might be worth a look for under $600.00 usd

Some people said it's a heavy notebook..I didn't think so @ 5 pounds.
Absolutely digging the lit keyboard!

Good luck...tons of choices out there.

Here's WC's buyers guide:
Laptop Buyer's Guide | Windows Central

TheDarkSide1

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
I like it!

I'm looking at both the model you provided and the i7 version on Amazon and both seem very nice! I "may" end up choosing the i7 version for the slight more power for the game engine.

From the link you provided, all of the laptops are absolutely great! I'm looking at the Dell XPS 13 and the HP Spectre x360 as they both seem like great options. I'll have to do quite some digging to see all of the options since the laptop world is huge!

Also 5 pounds for the Acer laptop definitely shouldn't be an issue at all to carry around 😊

gazuga6176

Jun 19, 2017
Visit site
xps 15. 1080p if you will be working away from a plug alot, 4k if you can plug it in at least once a day for a full charge cycle. if you are doing heavy 3d work, I would maybe step it up to something with a Xeon processor though.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Lenovo ThinkPad W or P series.

Those are the heavy-lifter desktop replacement models. You get ThinkPad repairability, durability as well as available parts.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes