Thunderbolt 3 docking station recommendations

actionresult

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
I'm looking for a dock that will reliably work with my laptop and support at least two 1080p monitors (any combination of VGA/HDMI ports). I have read about many of them working unreliably so I'm asking if anyone has a personal experience of a good one.

My PC is HP Spectre x360 Convertible 13-ac0XX and it seems that currently the best one to suit my needs is the Plugable UD-ULTCDL. If anyone has a success story with it, please share :)

P.S. has anyone used HP Travel Dock for USB-C Laptops ?

Last edited:

ttop

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Dell has several options available. Even a wireless option. Check out the D6000. I think it's the best option personally because of the 2 full size DP ports. Not a big fan of docks offering two different Video options (DP, HDMI, MiniDP, VGA, DVI etc) This works well with the XPS's, and it even works with the Surface using USB-C (Although you still need to charge with the Surface power adapter in this case.)

SvenJ

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
You know what's fascinating. I can plug my MS Display Dock (for 950/950XL) into my Dell XPS 15 (USB-C) and use the HDMI and USB ports on it. I have Dell's USB-C dock for the XPS, and when I plug the Lumia into it, it does charge, and the USB works, but the HDMI does not. So close. This isn't exactly on topic, but just an anecdote that shows the variations that can be found which may lead to compatibility issues. Might be one of the reasons Surfaces don't have USB-C yet. Too many potential support calls about things that seem like they should work, but don't.

CampGareth

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
My dock of choice is a Dell TB15 which I have added heatsinks to to get around its flaws. All told it cost me about £100 and is very well specced. It's able to supply up to 100W to connected laptops, it has two DP ports, one hdmi, one vga, plenty of usb 3 and 2 ports, ethernet, audio and a second thunderbolt port to daisychain devices. It's even pretty simplistic design wise so should work with most laptops. the video portion's all over DP with a converter for hdmi and vga so transparent to the host. Everything else is ultimately PCIE to USB so has drivers available. Only downside is it overheats badly but that's fixable, if it's beyond you though the TB16 is an option with a built in fan but it costs about £400 last I saw.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
You know what's fascinating. I can plug my MS Display Dock (for 950/950XL) into my Dell XPS 15 (USB-C) and use the HDMI and USB ports on it.
Cool, I was looking for examples like that. I have a ThinkPad coming in with Thunderbolt ports, and it would be great if I could us my old continuum dock at home, especially given the current TB dock prices!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077