Recovering Licensed Software

David A Taylor

Apr 3, 2018
Visit site
Hi all,

So a newbie here, hoping you can help.

Scenario: I had some amazing video editing software on my Vaio laptop. It came with the machine and was licensed to it.

The Vaio has died, motherboard issue, won't enter boot etc.

I want to be able to use the software on another machine, Sony won't give me a new registration code and say it can only be used on that laptop.

I've removed the HDD and use it as an external USB drive. It should, I believe, contain all the registry. I can see the software on it.

Is it possible to run the software from that HDD? Perhaps I should boot my new machine (SurfaceBook) from that HDD?

Thoughts? Solutions? Warnings (such as 'you'll brick your surface book').

Ta

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
the program will not work. you have to get the installer for that program and install it in the new computer.

programs are tied to that specific Windows installation (file paths, dlls, hundreds of reg entries, etc). Just so the programs cannot be copied or stolen. A sort of anti-theft built in.

If you have original restore discs, maybe you can try to dig in there to see if there is an installer for the program. Chances are not, since it's a sort of complete image restore. Even if you did, there's always an issue with compatibility.

you can always try your luck on the internet and see if it's floating around somewhere.

try oldversions.com or something similar.

GL.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss