Is Surface Book 2 Lighter than a Surface Pro?

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm very seriously considering getting a 13" Surface Book 2 to replace my Surface Pro 4, however I use my Pro4 extensively as a tablet and would like to be able to use the Book 2 comfortably in tablet mode.

Weight is an obvious issue when it comes to larger tablets and I don't want to be hulking around a heavy 13" tablet. The Pro4 is already on the heavier side when compared to an iPad Pro.

Does anyone know what the weight of the 13" Surface Book 2 screen/tablet is?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
According to Microsoft's website, the 13" Surface Book 2 is heavier since it "starts at 3.38 lbs (1,534 g) including keyboard".

I don't know the base of your Surface Pro 4 but that weighs either 1.69 lbs (766 g) for the m3 model or 1.73 lbs (786 g) for the i5 & i7 models.

jnjroach

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
If you are referring to just the clipboard portion - then yes the SB2 detached tablet is lighter than the SP4 and SP 2017, I have the 15" and use just the clipboard in meetings. I get 2.5-4 hours of battery life though so be aware of that. My battery is impacted during the workday because of Skype for Business and Microsoft Teams. Without running those two apps I get 4-6 hours, but I need both to work :)

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
If you are referring to just the clipboard portion - then yes the SB2 detached tablet is lighter than the SP4 and SP 2017, I have the 15" and use just the clipboard in meetings. I get 2.5-4 hours of battery life though so be aware of that. My battery is impacted during the workday because of Skype for Business and Microsoft Teams. Without running those two apps I get 4-6 hours, but I need both to work :)

Thanks :) that's what I was looking for. I should have made myself clearer with my first post. I was really keen to find out which device was lighter to use as a tablet.

As it turns out my 13" book 2 arrived last Friday. It's only the corei5 with 8GB ram but OMG what a demon of a device. I absolutely love this machine.

For sure, the battery life when it's detached from the base isn't great...about 3 hours of Netflix will take it below 10%, but who cares. Link it back up to the base in that backward foldable-tablet mode and you add another 5-6 hours of life to it.

Yeah, I'm in love man :)

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Surface Pro is definitely lighter than Book 2.

Thanks Al, sorry I should have clarified my original query. I meant to ask which was lighter just as a tablet i.e the surface book without the base or the surface pro without the keyboard.

Sorry for the confusion :p

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
Have fun with it. :) I hope Oems will also create more of these big detachable 2-1's, the weight is already incredible low for a 13 / 15 inch device so much potential here.

Henrik Becker

Jul 12, 2017
Visit site
Thanks :) that's what I was looking for. I should have made myself clearer with my first post. I was really keen to find out which device was lighter to use as a tablet.

As it turns out my 13" book 2 arrived last Friday. It's only the corei5 with 8GB ram but OMG what a demon of a device. I absolutely love this machine.

For sure, the battery life when it's detached from the base isn't great...about 3 hours of Netflix will take it below 10%, but who cares. Link it back up to the base in that backward foldable-tablet mode and you add another 5-6 hours of life to it.

Yeah, I'm in love man :)

Considering getting the exact model you have, since I can't find a Surface Pro without lightbleed here in the Netherlands.

Aren't you worried about not future-proofing it with 16GB of RAM?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon