The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
    When I first saw Acer's R7/R13 convertibles I thought the screens looked really cool and they seemed to be handier for touchscreen usage than standard 360 degrees convertibles. But nowadays I cannot find any convertible that has such a hinge that allows the screen to be moved so flexible. Were they to fragile or were they just not popular enough?
    Did anyone here used one?
    04-20-2018 11:34 AM
    I've only seen one and it probably went the way of the dodo for its unorthodox (odd) design and complicated hinge for not too much functional benefit. I'm not sure the touchpad being where it was helped too.
    ochhanz likes this.
    04-23-2018 09:51 AM
    Lol yeah it sort of reminds of a dodo. I can imagine the hinge can be useful and since the touchscreen is closer the touchpad is less needed (and it doesn't block the keyboard, which e.g. those annoying wide HP touchpads do). Plus for some people an external mouse already replaces the touchpad, rendering it obsolete. (Personally my only real annoyance with the touchscreen is moving files and lack of multi-finger swipes that strangely the touchpad has but the touchscreen lacks.)
    04-23-2018 04:25 PM
    When I first saw Acer's R7/R13 convertibles I thought the screens looked really cool and they seemed to be handier for touchscreen usage than standard 360 degrees convertibles. But nowadays I cannot find any convertible that has such a hinge that allows the screen to be moved so flexible. Were they to fragile or were they just not popular enough?
    Did anyone here used one?
    I think azel aero hinge was too thick and less appealing similar to dell's frame like hinge.
    I would love to see acer travel mate c100 hinge again on modern laptop design.
    Attached Thumbnails 1253828.jpg  
    04-24-2018 04:41 AM
    I think azel aero hinge was too thick and less appealing similar to dell's frame like hinge.
    , the aero hinge does look a bit to thick at the back now that you mention it, though the Dell one looks fragile dell_xps_12_convertible_touch_ultrabook_with_windows_8_1.jpg

The travel mate does not offer the advantage of bringing the screen quickly closer, which eliminates its usefulness when you just need to draw a quick sketch or note. Plus is the rotation element robust enough (when you would use it for a thin bezel design)?
    The read that the Acer R7 hinge was quite robust, but maybe that one was a bit on the heavy side too.
    04-24-2018 09:00 AM
    , must be your lucky day -> https://www.notebookcheck.net/Fujits....html#toc-case . Seems like an interesting combination of old business swivel screen laptops and modern ultrabooks.
    04-25-2018 05:34 PM
    , must be your lucky day -> https://www.notebookcheck.net/Fujits....html#toc-case . Seems like an interesting combination of old business swivel screen laptops and modern ultrabooks.
    That's cool.

I just realized that you were talking about original r7 with ezel hinge not new r7 with ezel aero hinge.

Ezel hinge looks solid but majority of people will reject the idea of touchpad above keyboard and that's why IMO acer dropped the idea.
    04-26-2018 01:51 AM
    Ezel hinge looks solid but majority of people will reject the idea of touchpad above keyboard and that's why IMO acer dropped the idea.
    , well nothing stops them from placing the touchpad below again, since the r7 ezel screen can also be put in normal laptop mode. And if you want the touchscreen closer the user can move the screen over the f-keys or even over the number-keys (if they would add a numberpad) why still be able to type. That being said, I don't think they will ever make one again but one can hope right. :D
    (especially if it would have a decent gpu like the original, 750m, so nowadays a mx150 or amd 2400g or such)
    04-26-2018 04:50 AM