Should I Pick the Mac Mini? Or something else?

jerrylei

Dec 12, 2017
Visit site
I plan to buy a mini pc with High configuration such as Hp Z2 or Intel NUC, actualy I have save enough money for it, however, 06/18 is my birthday, I need to prepare a party for it, so that's the question, I have to cut my budget and buy a cheaper one instead, I search some items for choose, can you guys give some advice or have better recommend.

0528.png

smc-tech

May 28, 2018
Visit site
ive never heard of the other 2 devices so im unable to comment on them.
It really comes down to hwat you want to do with it and what sort of user of the device you are.
The mac mini hasnt had any updates in years (see mac rumors: https://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac_Mini)
BUT - i "think" it would be better than the other 2 devices you listed. Possibly someone here could comment on on the difference between the "Gemini Lake" CPU and the "Dual Core i5" in the mac.
I have a mac mini hooked up to a TV at home - it works ok; i updated the RAM a while back to keep up with OS X, but honestly, if i was going to buy something to replace it - i would probably go with an Intel NUC of some sort.
Check this guide out: https://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-mini-pcs,review-2760.html

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Hasn't Apple practically abandoned the Mini?

What do you need this PC to do? There may be a more cost effective way to do the same thing.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Even though Apple is known for its ability to keep older devices well updated, keep in mind that the Mini is still the 2014 version and no one knows how long it'll be supported. Yes, the Mini on sale right now as a brand new unit is the same 2014 model introduced 4 years ago.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Even though Apple is known for its ability to keep older devices well updated, keep in mind that the Mini is still the 2014 version and no one knows how long it'll be supported.
I have a Mac Mini 2012 and it is still supported. So is my early 2011 MacBook Pro. But for computers, Apple generally drops a few years at a time. For example, the 2012 version might lose support at the same time as the 2014 version.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I have a Mac Mini 2012 and it is still supported. So is my early 2011 MacBook Pro. But for computers, Apple generally drops a few years at a time. For example, the 2012 version might lose support at the same time as the 2014 version.
I believe High Sierra's low-end requirement is 2009 but the features for Handoff and all the other "cool" features is 2012 so while it may be possible to get the next iteration of MacOS on both your machines, you may have to stick with High Sierra if you use any of those features. I think it's fantastic that Apple provides this level of upgrade ability in this day and age.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I have a current gen Mac Mini sitting on my desk at work. I use it for managing our iOS devices. It is starting to feel it's age. It is feeling very slow to run just Firefox and Apple's own iOS configuration utility. I think you would get much more for your money investing in a PC with more modern hardware. Unless you need OS X.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb