My custom built PC will turn on and run fine but I can't get any visuals to the monitor

travisraff

Jun 6, 2018
Visit site
I looked under the CPU and no pins are damaged.
I have tried to re slot the RAM.
I have tried reinstalling the mother board.
I have tried using an HDMI instead of D-sub.

The fans run, the lights turn on, everything seems to be in order...just the damn thing won't produce any sort of picture on the monitor. If left on it doesn't turn off and on by itself. It stays on.

The build is meant for just streaming and here is the link to the build that I chose.
http://www.logicalincrements.com/articles/streaming

The build is titled: "Example Dedicated Streaming PC - Micro ATX ($500)"

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Which graphics are you connected to? The native (on board with the CPU) or the discrete? If this is the first time you're starting it up, then use the native b/c the discrete drivers aren't installed.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I looked under the CPU and no pins are damaged.
I have tried to re slot the RAM.
I have tried reinstalling the mother board.
I have tried using an HDMI instead of D-sub.

The fans run, the lights turn on, everything seems to be in order...just the damn thing won't produce any sort of picture on the monitor. If left on it doesn't turn off and on by itself. It stays on.

The build is meant for just streaming and here is the link to the build that I chose.
http://www.logicalincrements.com/articles/streaming

The build is titled: "Example Dedicated Streaming PC - Micro ATX ($500)"
Weird. My custom built PC experienced the exact same situation this morning. I could get through the ASUS boot up visual on screen, but once Windows started to boot, I got a black screen. I entered safe mode and tried refreshing the PC but Windows would not accept my password. Frustrated, I just rebooted from safe mode and it started correctly.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Spoke too soon. Just woke my PC from sleep to a blank screen. Rebooted and got the same issue I had before.
ASUS boot screen followed by nada. Notice that during the ASUS boot screen, it does not take up my full screen. This does not happen when it works as expected.IMG_20180606_171920.jpgIMG_20180606_172003.jpg

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
try booting into repair mode and doing restore point or rollback. disable fast boot.
Thanks. It's just acting crazy. In safe mode, when I try to restore or roll back, it asks for my should password. Once I type it in, it says the password is incorrect. It's not incorrect though.
So, again, I just exit to Windows, and it boots properly.
I have Nvidia software installed. Could Nvidia drivers be causing this issue?
I'm also going to disable fastboot.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Well, things went downhill quickly. I disabled fast boot. Rebooted my PC successfully. So, I turned it off and went to bed. This morning, I'm getting the blank screen again. Attempted to go into safe mode, but I can't get past the log in screen. It keeps telling me that my password is incorrect even though it isn't. I tried a system refresh keeping my files, but again, it will not take my password. Currently, I am completely unable to access my computer. My only option available that does not require a password is a full reset, completely cleaning the drive. Don't want to do that, but I'm at a loss.

I'm just curious as to what could cause this sudden issue. The PC is just over a year old, it's a gaming rig, so it has really good specs, and I keep it well protected from online and offline dangers. Then, one morning, it just will not boot up correctly.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Well, things went downhill quickly. I disabled fast boot. Rebooted my PC successfully. So, I turned it off and went to bed. This morning, I'm getting the blank screen again. Attempted to go into safe mode, but I can't get past the log in screen. It keeps telling me that my password is incorrect even though it isn't. I tried a system refresh keeping my files, but again, it will not take my password. Currently, I am completely unable to access my computer. My only option available that does not require a password is a full reset, completely cleaning the drive. Don't want to do that, but I'm at a loss.

I'm just curious as to what could cause this sudden issue. The PC is just over a year old, it's a gaming rig, so it has really good specs, and I keep it well protected from online and offline dangers. Then, one morning, it just will not boot up correctly.

Tried reinstalling windows? There should be an option to keep your files intact. Yeah, reloading all your programs is going to be a drag, but better than a complete reset.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Tried reinstalling windows? There should be an option to keep your files intact. Yeah, reloading all your programs is going to be a drag, but better than a complete reset.
This is where I am at the moment. Ha ha
I could not refresh or reinstall Windows and keep my files for some reason. In order to do that, I had to verify my identity with my password, but my PC kept informing me that it was incorrect. The only way I could get my computer back was to completely wipe it clean and reset it. Or, at least that's what I could figure out. I'm no expert on the matter. Now, I can look forward to hours of reinstalling Photoshop, Steam games, apps, and all of my other programs. Fun fun. It might be good to start fresh though.
The good thing so far is that it is using the full screen on the display. Fingers are crossed.IMG_20180607_105157.jpg

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Are you up to date with the Nvidia drivers?
Yes. All the drivers were up to date. In fact, before my first system reinstall, I updated the Nvidia drivers just to make sure. Still got the same issue.

I don't have an extra cable though. Thought about that, but I'm able to go into BIOS and I can access the restore/repair menu using the cable, so I figured it was delivering a signal. Might look into that though.

I created a Windows media usb, completely formatted my hard drive, and reinstated Windows again. I've restarted twice now without the issue happening. It's been a long day. Hopefully, that fixed it.

Golfdriver97

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Yes. All the drivers were up to date. In fact, before my first system reinstall, I updated the Nvidia drivers just to make sure. Still got the same issue.

I don't have an extra cable though. Thought about that, but I'm able to go into BIOS and I can access the restore/repair menu using the cable, so I figured it was delivering a signal. Might look into that though.

I created a Windows media usb, completely formatted my hard drive, and reinstated Windows again. I've restarted twice now without the issue happening. It's been a long day. Hopefully, that fixed it.
I'd keep the cable idea in mind. Do you use HDMI or Display Port?

Golfdriver97

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Yeah. I will. It's an older cable, but a high quality one. Might be time for a new one though.
Display port to my TV.
I just got a few Cable Matters from Amazon. Decently priced, but they seem like a really good quality. I think I paid about $12 for a 6'. I can't remember off hand.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I just got a few Cable Matters from Amazon. Decently priced, but they seem like a really good quality. I think I paid about $12 for a 6'. I can't remember off hand.
Thanks. I'm looking on Amazon now.
Got me thinking about my cable. If I remember correctly, it cost me around $50 when I bought it....12 years ago. I didn't really realize how old it was until now.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720