best laptop under $700?

AbAll87

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

I'm in search of a new laptop. My last laptop was an Asus K53e and I loved it. It lasted me 6-7 years and gave up on me this year.

The laptop was used for AutoCAD and AutoCAD civil 3D. It was mostly used for 2D drawings and rarely I used 3D.

I used to play StarCraft, while I haven't played in years, would be nice if my new laptop can support it.

Also I used to do some work on Acid pro.

I have been thinking to work in video editing just for fun. I don't need 4K video editing but that would be a plus.

From my search, it seems an i5 processor should be fine. I don't know if I need a dedicated graphic card for what I want to use it for. I would wanted to have a good quality screen and touch screen if possible.

At the end I want a laptop that will last me at least 5 years. Before my Asus I had HP and they barely lasted a year. The screen would go black or white. I don't know if they are reliable now.

In all my search I stumble into the Acer Swift 3. Some reviewers have mentioned the screen quality is average.

What are your thoughts? What would you suggest me?

Or should I save a bit more and spend more on a laptop?

Edit post: I would prefer a 15" but I'll take best value over screen size

AbAll87

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I have the Yoga 720 (2017) and yeah the fans will just kick on during light tasks. I'm not sure if it's something with how Lenovo has the bios configured, or something about how the 720 brand is designed. But thus far it hasn't been an issue for me, and I haven't noticed any major throttling when the fans are on. Of course, the Ideapad 720s is a different beast so it's hard to make a direct comparison.

AbAll87

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
I have the Yoga 720 (2017) and yeah the fans will just kick on during light tasks. I'm not sure if it's something with how Lenovo has the bios configured, or something about how the 720 brand is designed. But thus far it hasn't been an issue for me, and I haven't noticed any major throttling when the fans are on. Of course, the Ideapad 720s is a different beast so it's hard to make a direct comparison.

I checked some reviews on YouTube all positive! Thanks

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. It says I need a 2gb dedicated graphic though... Not sure if the integrated one should be fine
The 2 GB is the system RAM, at least that's how I read it. The original game didn't require that much....not sure if the higher definition would require much more. It's not like SC is dependent on a high framerate.

Asking Blizzard directly would clear up any confusion.

AbAll87

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
I decided to get the Dell Inspiron 15 7000 from Costco. it seems a great deal compare to the Dell website. it's 750$ on sale at Dell but $600 in Costco.

what do you guys think?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3