what will people like to see in an always-connected laptop?
    11-28-2018 08:55 PM
    Personally, I'd like to see the following:

1. Dual sim support via nano and esim support as this will help future proof the device.
    2. Anti-Glare screen so it can be used outside, cafes etc.
    3. Touch support and inking support
    4. Windows hello
    5. Type-C for fast charging and Type-A for legacy peripheral support
    6. NFC for mobile payment support / e-merchant support.
    7. msd card support.
    8. Atleast 64 Gig storage.

Beyond these it depends on the SOC used.
    KJW23 likes this.
    11-29-2018 12:43 AM
    Personally, I'd like to see the following:

1. Dual sim support via nano and esim support as this will help future proof the device.
    2. Anti-Glare screen so it can be used outside, cafes etc.
    3. Touch support and inking support
    4. Windows hello
    5. Type-C for fast charging and Type-A for legacy peripheral support
    6. NFC for mobile payment support / e-merchant support.
    7. msd card support.
    8. Atleast 64 Gig storage.

Beyond these it depends on the SOC used.
    I was thinking about using the Snapdragon 850 CPU. I do like AMD Ryzen chips.
    Last edited by KJW23; 11-29-2018 at 02:04 AM.
    11-29-2018 01:53 AM
    I was thinking about using the Snapdragon 850 CPU. I do like AMD rising chips.
    Taking into account the total lead time from design to production it maybe more prudent to wait for the Snapdragon 1000. Since that SOC is primarily geared towards laptops and not smartphones therefore it is going to be leaps and bounds above the 850 SOC in terms of compute & graphical performance.

During that time you maybe able to find better sourcing contracts for components.

Then again what price range?

Lastly sales model - meaning one version every year or two years or when there is substanial improvements in tech?

Each sales model has their pros and cons then you need to factor in exposure as well over heards from delayed stock sales (to clarify - items held not company stock). Then you have to factor in support and after sales care - do you retain some stock for faulty units or simply produce on demand?
    KJW23 likes this.
    11-29-2018 02:07 AM
    Taking into account the total lead time from design to production it maybe more prudent to wait for the Snapdragon 1000. Since that SOC is primarily geared towards laptops and not smartphones therefore it is going to be leaps and bounds above the 850 SOC in terms of compute & graphical performance.

During that time you maybe able to find better sourcing contracts for components.

Lastly sales model - meaning one version every year or two years or when there is substanial improvements in tech?

Each sales model has their pros and cons then you need to factor in exposure as well over heards from delayed stock sales (to clarify - items held not company stock). Then you have to factor in support and after sales care - do you retain some stock for faulty units or simply produce on demand?
    Great questions
    Then again what price range? $999 or 1,000 I'm thinking high in like surface and Apple.

Lastly sales model - meaning one version every year or two years or when there is substanial improvements in tech? I'm thinking every 2 years But one and half years might be the best

Each sales model has their pros and cons then you need to factor in exposure as well over heards from delayed stock sales (to clarify - items held not company stock). Then you have to factor in support and after sales care - do you retain some stock for faulty units or simply produce on demand? I was thinking about producing on demand.

Thank you again for the feedback
    TechFreak1 likes this.
    11-29-2018 05:27 PM
    Great questions
    Had to be asked , in my experience people don't ask these or just don't take these into account and I blame my curiousity haha.

$999 or 1,000 I'm thinking high in like surface and Apple.
    Fair enough, in that case you if are looking to compete in that price range - it has to be a no compromise device in my opinion.

I'm thinking every 2 years But one and half years might be the best
    That's a good time scale and it would best to factor in SOC release to OEMs for prototyping and reiteration.

I was thinking about producing on demand.
    Cool, in that case you will need to explictly state that each product is produced on demand as otherwise people will be under the impression of supply issues and what not. Creating on demand can be put forward as a positive - excess stock is a waste of resources, producing on demand lowers the carbon footprint and ensures each product is of high quality etc.

However, two factors you need to take into consideration - what happens if there is a massive volume of orders?

Secondly, What is the fail over infrastructure to deal with high volume if they arise?

Personally, I would say if you are producing on demand then be transparent with the customer so they know what the delays are for the product that they ordered. The caveat here is that you can never make everyone happy at the same time as there will always be some who will complain about the little things. The only you thing you can do is view them as constructive criticism and move on.

No problem at all :).
    KJW23 likes this.
    11-29-2018 06:27 PM
    Had to be asked , in my experience people don't ask these or just don't take these into account and I blame my curiousity haha.

Fair enough, in that case you if are looking to compete in that price range - it has to be a no compromise device in my opinion.

That's a good time scale and it would best to factor in SOC release to OEMs for prototyping and reiteration.

Cool, in that case you will need to explictly state that each product is produced on demand as otherwise people will be under the impression of supply issues and what not. Creating on demand can be put forward as a positive - excess stock is a waste of resources, producing on demand lowers the carbon footprint and ensures each product is of high quality etc.

However, two factors you need to take into consideration - what happens if there is a massive volume of orders?

Secondly, What is the fail over infrastructure to deal with high volume if they arise?

Personally, I would say if you are producing on demand then be transparent with the customer so they know what the delays are for the product that they ordered. The caveat here is that you can never make everyone happy at the same time as there will always be some who will complain about the little things. The only you thing you can do is view them as constructive criticism and move on.

No problem at all :).

I do agree with that I shouldn't compromise especially at that price point. Do you got a good wish list for laptop with that price point ?
    TechFreak1 likes this.
    11-29-2018 10:48 PM
    I was thinking about using the Snapdragon 850 CPU. I do like AMD Ryzen chips.
    , personally I would love to see a inking laptop with an AMD Ryzen U proc (preferable something like a 2700U or 3500U or 3700U). A 360 degrees hinge would be icing on the cake (but perhaps not feasible).
    Your plans are to sell them in the US or also Europe or such?
    KJW23 likes this.
    11-30-2018 09:47 AM

I do agree with that I shouldn't compromise especially at that price point. Do you got a good wish list for laptop with that price point ?
    Yes I do have wish list but realistically in terms of ROI and sourcing it may prove difficult to hit in the first go round. Plus, I'm a niche user I prefer upgradeable + serviceable laptops as such they tend to be very bulky and heavy - my current laptop (HP Prob00k 4730s) weighs 3 Kg lol - a cast iron griddle pan is about 2.3 kg+.

In terms of bringing something unique to the table, there are hardly any slim laptops that have removable ram, removable mass storage and not many these days allow you to change the wifi+ bluetooth module either.

Plus hardly many laptops offer easy access to the graphics card (mxm cards), that maybe an option but due to the lack of standardisation and lack of ease of access it's a very small market.

In order to reduce the thickness you would be looking at m.2 storage and bigger the battery the better.

So ideally you want to have a pretty small mainboard so you can squeeze in better cooling and a bigger battery. If you go down the Snapdragon 1000 route then you could hypothetically have a flat battery that is 2/3rds the size of the base. In terms of thickness the addition of a type A port will allow for a slightly thicker battery.

The last remaining third would simply be the ram slots and m.2 storage + port/msd slot cables.

To give you an idea what I'm talking about in terms of motherboard layout (this the motherboard from the L635):
    s-l1600.jpg
    So effectively you are taking the smartphone motherboard design into a laptop form factor and as microchips become even more smaller and concentrated, you could have a smaller mainboard and even bigger battery.

Or you could have the motherboard go around the battery - a rectangular motherboard with the battery sitting in the middle. Which would allow for equal weight distribution - however the design of the motherboard would heavily depend on the SOC used.
    KJW23 and HeyCori like this.
    11-30-2018 08:24 PM
    WOW We might get to have windows core os Zach laptop lol
    https://www.windowscentral.com/centaurus
    12-04-2018 05:02 AM
    I do have an idea for a smartphone now lol if Microsoft likes me. Now just need to order a display for Samsung lol
    12-04-2018 05:07 AM
    WOW We might get to have windows core os Zach laptop lol
    https://www.windowscentral.com/centaurus
    Windows Core o/s is supposed to be modular so that make for interesting design concepts to say the least lol.

I do have an idea for a smartphone now lol if Microsoft likes me. Now just need to order a display for Samsung lol
    Haha, that's the thing about tech... the scale of re-iteration and improvement is just mind boggling. Just under 15 years ago... a 1 Gig usb cost about £20. A few days ago I bought a 128 gig usb (3.0) for £23... 0.0. 19 Years or so ago.. we were using 1.44 mb floppy disks...
    KJW23 likes this.
    12-04-2018 10:38 PM
    Windows Core o/s is supposed to be modular so that make for interesting design concepts to say the least lol.

Haha, that's the thing about tech... the scale of re-iteration and improvement is just mind boggling. Just under 15 years ago... a 1 Gig usb cost about £20. A few days ago I bought a 128 gig usb (3.0) for £23... 0.0. 19 Years or so ago.. we were using 1.44 mb floppy disks...
    yes that does bring back a lot of memories. lol

This is the product idea list.
    1- Zach laptop:

2 - Slate note: it is 9.5 inch tablet similar to the surface go with that's always connected with a ARM CPU. With Windows 10 tablet mode improved.

3-Zac Phone; using windows core os to work. I'm thinking in the smart phone market people will like a change.
    ochhanz and TechFreak1 like this.
    12-05-2018 07:07 AM
    ARM CPU I will Use
    TechFreak1 likes this.
    12-08-2018 08:17 PM