Looking for some help choosing a new laptop!

BassSoLow

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Hey everyone! I am looking to buy a new laptop and I have narrowed it down to a couple options, but before I buy, I was hoping to get some feedback and suggestions.

First, I'll be using the computer for basic everyday tasks such as web browsing, email, etc.

Secondly, I am a college student and I am working on my degree in Information technology. I do all of the courses online and use Office 365. I will also be using Python to complete some coding projects.

Finally, I would like the ability to possibly record some basic music tracks. Nothing fancy, I just write a song or two here and there and it'd be nice to get the ideas down. However, this is not a make or break and school/coding is more important.

The laptops I have been looking at are the Lenovo X1 Carbon, Lenovo C930 Yoga, Dell XPS 13, and the New 2018 HP X360 (the one with the angled corners). All of them have 16GB memory and 512 Storage, also each has 8th gen core i7 processors.The HP seems to have the newest core i7 with it being a 8565U. the others use 8550U processors.

Wondering what recommendations folks have on these laptops or if there is another brand/model I should take a look at.

I am happy to answer any other questions as well!

Thank you for reading and for the assistance!

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
Budget is $1500.
, all are good but get something with a warranty from a respected shop. E.g. something from your college if you can let it get repaired at your college/campus if there is a problem or production fault.
The Carbon is probably the most serviceable and sturdy (since it is a laptop in the business line and a thinkpad), so get that one if you find that important. The HP has good bang for buck features wise for an ultrabook/convertible, but Spectre laptops (earlier designs in anycase) had some weaknesses in the design (those small rubbers that normally protect the screen degraded to rapidly or sunk through the sd card port). XPS has best battery life iirc but also some production faults (might have been solved by now, dunno). The Yoga is like a consumer version of the Carbon, less serviceable & durable in design but cheaper and still premium build quality; get it you value its dock-able pen feature.

Note that some of your laptop choices are convertibles and some are standard laptops. Get a convertible if you think a touchscreen will be important for you (e.g. for notes combined with a pen or browsing/scrolling though touch etc).

The difference between 8550U and 8565U is not that big with Intel's U procs, just as long as you get something from at least 8gen (i5-8250U or i7-8550U) it does not matter that much since you will have your quad core cpu instead of the older dual cores.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre