CPU Scratched.... Would it still work?

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
the first one above is what im confused about the second one pointing to the side that say for wifi is where it shows in my unit with the wifi card though when i glance up i see the second part as I state above what is this? Cause on my board there nothing on the top one it looks kinda like a pci-e though im not sure cause the bottom one has my wifi card in hint the one stating wifi pci-e
Wifi pcie mini cards are that size and yes the bottom port should be the wifi picie slot. The slot on top of it is most likely an nvme slot for an ssd. That's my guess anyway. Is that the one your questioning?

LightenSkies

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
Wifi pcie mini cards are that size and yes the bottom port should be the wifi picie slot. The slot on top of it is most likely an nvme slot for an ssd. That's my guess anyway. Is that the one your questioning?

Funny I just updated my post above if you look. Though how could it be for a SSD? The laptop already has a SSD Drive in the caddy. When I went to look at defragmentation.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Nvme ssd. Kinda like the newer faster m.2 ssd cards

https://images.anandtech.com/doci/9396/_MG_2809_678x452.jpg

I could be wrong though. Just keep poking around on the board specs to see if it supports PCIe ssds.

It could be for another MXM Module i.e the GPU :) as to my 90% asleep brain the ports at the end of motherboard looks like Sata connections I could be wrong though... woke up at 2 am... so in zombie mode at present LOL.

Edit:

Looked up the service manual and it looks like it's the socket for the GPU - HP call it the Graphics Subsystem... :grincry:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03565466

LightenSkies

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
It could be for another MXM Module i.e the GPU :) as to my 90% asleep brain the ports at the end of motherboard looks like Sata connections I could be wrong though... woke up at 2 am... so in zombie mode at present LOL.

Edit:

Looked up the service manual and it looks like it's the socket for the GPU - HP call it the Graphics Subsystem... :grincry:

This what I gathtered when I did a different search about my laptop. And this guy posted to some user about a m2 ssd saying this. No there is no 3rd generation Intel Core machine that can accept an M.2 PCIe mSSD disk. If you open the access panel you will probably see an open mini-PCIe slot which is designed for a WWAN (celular modem) card and it might accept one of the older type mSSD drives. But that is a far cry from an M.2 mSSD PCIe.

Which makes sense caused I pulled the batteey out of my laptop and I see a slot that say SIM.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
This what I gathtered when I did a different search about my laptop. And this guy posted to some user about a m2 ssd saying this. No there is no 3rd generation Intel Core machine that can accept an M.2 PCIe mSSD disk. If you open the access panel you will probably see an open mini-PCIe slot which is designed for a WWAN (celular modem) card and it might accept one of the older type mSSD drives. But that is a far cry from an M.2 mSSD PCIe.

Which makes sense caused I pulled the batteey out of my laptop and I see a slot that say SIM.

The sim slot uses a different type of Slot and @nate0 is not wrong to say it could be an NVME as after all troubleshooting is done through the process of elimination. It's one of things they teach when you're doing the A+ Cert for IT basically the foundation of general IT repair. Reading through his posts answered the questions I had and so it enabled me to make a somewhat accurate guess.

As much as most people think that us techies know everything... we don't LOL and we don't have a database stored in our brains so we can't recall everything instantly haha. Occassionally we do need a refresher :).

If anyone acts like and says they know everything they must live a boring life as knowing the future before it happens means no birthday surprises, no christmas present surprises etc etc. Part of the enjoyment of life is not knowing what tomorrow will bring and balance.

Well I'll stop before I start going way off on a tangent and end up typing up a novel :grincry:.

My point is no one is infalliable, perfection is subjective dependent on xyz context, subtext, circumstances... well you get the drift.

Last edited:

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I use to have an 8460p for work. i7 model. They are business workstations, so my first guess was a wwan slot. Then I wondered if back then they came out with a micro pcie sata card for that, so ya I was just shooting off the hip at that point. Good thing I'm not trying to tell you to cut the green wire or the blue wire eh?

LightenSkies

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site

Edit:

Call me stupid right now. What exactly does Graphics Subsystem mean? I saw another video of the mainboard of someone tinkering with a 8570p and it looks they had soe type of wlan in the slot i was talking about earlier on the top part.

P.S. My laptop don't have the Radeon™ HD 7570M just the Intel hd 4000

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Call me stupid right now. What exactly does Graphics Subsystem mean? I saw another video of the mainboard of someone tinkering with a 8570p and it looks they had soe type of wlan in the slot i was talking about earlier on the top part.

P.S. My laptop don't have the Radeon™ HD 7570M just the Intel hd 4000

It's HP being obnoxious, it's a dedicated GPU.

LightenSkies

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
It's HP being obnoxious, it's a dedicated GPU.

ya. Either way m going to get a Wlan chip in this thing figure GPS part be cool so I can easily keep an eye on my laptop. Plus Why not use windows 10 for a navigation system lol. I know sounds silly for me to say for 2019. Though the way i see it. I like to max out computers to there fullest. :)

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
ya. Either way m going to get a Wlan chip in this thing figure GPS part be cool so I can easily keep an eye on my laptop. Plus Why not use windows 10 for a navigation system lol. I know sounds silly for me to say for 2019. Though the way i see it. I like to max out computers to there fullest. :)

Also some Wlan cards also enable you to have Miracast, it has to be supported by the CPU and the Wlan card. Allowing you to use your PC as a Miracast receiver and transmitter - however Windows 10 is abit persnickety about that function lol....

A Wlan card I know for a fact supports Miracast is the Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265NGW (2230) which I put in a PC I fixed up for a relative and it uses MHF-4 antenna connections.

Have a look in the service manual, it will list all compatible parts and search up the parts using the part numbers.

LightenSkies

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
I have look and plan to buy one in a week. Im waiting on the10th for the cpu to arrive I hope its not DOA when i install it.

Btw I got one of them wrist anti static wrist bands. Where should I put the other end connect too to ground myself? im going to be working on the laptop on a wooden table in the dinning room.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I have look and plan to buy one in a week. Im waiting on the10th for the cpu to arrive I hope its not DOA when i install it.

Btw I got one of them wrist anti static wrist bands. Where should I put the other end connect too to ground myself? im going to be working on the laptop on a wooden table in the dinning room.

Any metal appliance or central heating radiator should suffice as long as you're not walking on carpet. I usually clip myself to the PC case as the entire case is metal, leave it plugged in but powered off when working inside the case.

Also the CPU is being shipped with the IHS (the cpu covering) right?

Or is the seller going to relid the CPU for you?

LightenSkies

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
Any metal appliance or central heating radiator should suffice as long as you're not walking on carpet. I usually clip myself to the PC case as the entire case is metal, leave it plugged in but powered off when working inside the case.

Also the CPU is being shipped with the IHS (the cpu covering) right?

Or is the seller going to relid the CPU for you?

ah ok. And he just providing the cpu no new fan or heatsink. I'll be putting the cpu into my laptop.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
ah ok. And he just providing the cpu no new fan or heatsink. I'll be putting the cpu into my laptop.

Erm okay, the IHS or "CPU cover" (on the right hand side) is the element that interacts with the heatsink in any cooling mechanism in a laptop or PC. The CPU itself does not interact directly with third party heatsinks.
haswell delid4.jpg

You will need to relid the CPU and ask the seller if he is providing the IHS with the CPU.

I suggest you watch this videos from Gamers Nexus to get you started :) :

https://youtu.be/w9i_ULemBhI

https://youtu.be/jbTi5Ed89Yk

LightenSkies

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
I look at the videos and didn't find that on my cpu even with the one that was in the cpu socket. No cpu cap of any kind ;s anyway here some pics from old cpu to new cpu.

Old CPU
Screenshot (1).png
Old GPU
gpu.gif
Old CPU temps idle
tempature.gif

New CPU
newcpu.pngnewgpu.gif

inew cpu dle temps
cpunew.gif

new cpu stress test
stress test.gif

Last edited:

LightenSkies

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
Erm okay, the IHS or "CPU cover" (on the right hand side) is the element that interacts with the heatsink in any cooling mechanism in a laptop or PC. The CPU itself does not interact directly with third party heatsinks.

When I took off the heatsink. I didn't see no plate on top of the cpu like you were showing me on these videos. Though if you look at my recent posts. Things looks good. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss