Windows virtual keyboard still has a long way to go.

skstrials

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Typing on my Surface Go virtual keyboard, it is crazy how bad the virtual keyboard is compared to the Ipads.

It would be nice to adopt spacebar autocorrect as in the phone keyboards. The space bar sometimes autocorrects and sometimes doesn't, certainly not as powerful as in the phone keyboards.

The word corrections above the keyboard is way too small to be useful. I would like to have fewer options but bigger words so that it is easier to use the word suggestions more.

The virtual keyboard experience brings down the usability of the Surface devices without the keyboard attachment.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Windows 10 Tablet mode has been sorely lacking ever since W10 was released. It's a shame as Windows 8 was an amazing tablet experience bar some silly design decisions i.e the power off button being shoved under Settings in the charms bar.

Albeit that changed later with W8.1... but still... idiotic never the less.

However the desktop experience was just woeful and now it's the reverse, the tablet experience is woeful whereas the desktop experience is really good.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Windows 8 is completely sucks for non-touchscreen devices.

It completely did.

True. But IMO that's because it was ahead of its time.

Yes and No.

When Windows 8 was pre-released it had no out of box experience wizard to show you how to interact with the O/S. It did not have proper right click context menus either and to interact with the "zones" you had to pretend you had a larger screen than what you were using.

For me personally, I use a 40 Inch TV and I had to pretend I was using a 42 Inch TV sometimes less or more. Plus every single app launched full screen so you can imagine how inefficient it was for productivity when you had move the mouse up to the top of the screen just to close a app. As apps didn't have a menu bar nor a X button to close it.

Plus you were restricted to preset screen segments when it came having multiple apps on the screen. You could only have three and you could only adjust vertically.

Not to mention the power off button was hidden away in settings

All this is trivial on a touch device except the multitasking limit :grincry: and the decisions to put the power off button in settings *facepalm* and a few other things.

Plus there was no touch optimised file explorer so you had a jarring experience when you were using a touch screen device. On the flip side the UX did not have desktop experience elements that made it easier to navigate and use until Windows 8.1 but by then the image of windows 8 was irreperably damaged.

If I had a 40" Touch screen TV than Windows 8 would have been an amazing experience but as I did not thus had to use the mouse. I ended up having a migraine everytime I used Windows 8 on a large screen as the zone system was far too finicky. On a smaller screen like a laptop since there is less screen to manouvere around in it wasn't too much of a big deal. Except the multitasking was lame as a flimsy paper umbrella in a hail storm.

The silver lining about Windows 8 would be that to get around people learned to use keyboard short cuts. Windows 8.1 was much better and what Windows 8 should have been at launch at the very least but it was far too late.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Windows 8.1 Update 1 made Metro easier to navigate with mouse and keyboard, included X and minimize button on auto-hide title bar in Metro apps.

That is what I said then again I guess I was not clear enough lol.

"On the flip side the UX did not have desktop experience elements that made it easier to navigate and use until Windows 8.1 but by then the image of windows 8 was irreperably damaged." It's implied.... as I mentioned these facts earlier in the post.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
What do "image of Windows 8 was irreparably damaged" means?

Meaning, brand the image of Windows 8 was damaged like Vista, which suffered from incompatibility issues when it come to drivers and what not. To the average joe it was somewhat a broken o/s and it was never able to shake off that negative aspect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3