Can I have a 7" Windows on Arm Tablet with phone app now please?

John Stewien

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
I've gotten to the point where I almost don't need a phone, however there are a few regular times when people need to ring me using a phone number, or send me a text e.g. 2 factor authentication.

What I want is a 7" Windows tablet I can carry with me anywhere, that is always on, and is always connected, so it would have a mobile SIM card in it. What's annoying is I would need to carry a phone as well, when surely all is needed is a driver and a phone/sms app to use the telephony functions of the SIM card. Surely the bits are there? Windows runs on Arm, Arm tablets are an always-on proposition. What's the missing piece?

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I've gotten to the point where I almost don't need a phone, however there are a few regular times when people need to ring me using a phone number, or send me a text e.g. 2 factor authentication.

What I want is a 7" Windows tablet I can carry with me anywhere, that is always on, and is always connected, so it would have a mobile SIM card in it. What's annoying is I would need to carry a phone as well, when surely all is needed is a driver and a phone/sms app to use the telephony functions of the SIM card. Surely the bits are there? Windows runs on Arm, Arm tablets are an always-on proposition. What's the missing piece?

The Surface Mini sounds like the ideal tablet but since that was cancelled, the other option is the mythical andromeda device... but... given Microsoft's history of knee jerk reactions don't hold you breath.

Personally, I too am in the same boat and the Surface Go LTE would have been a fairly good solution. Just the battery life seems won't be upto snuff for what I need; especially with the LTE premium levied ontop of the base price and no e-sim support just make it a no go for me in terms of a purchase. Even more so with brexit, have to be extra picky with where I spend my cash.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3