Saw this on our sister site, iMore....

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Link: https://forums.imore.com/general-apple-news-discussion/412459-we-have-come-long-way.html

This thread started due to someone finding an Apple 2e in their attic, and fired it up. The first thread sparked the one I linked, which was a discussion of the first computer everyone got.

I figured why not start the same here?

My first experience with computers was with an Apple 2e. My first computer was about 10 years later, and was a Compaq Presario. I can't remember the specs exactly, but I'm pretty sure the RAM was in the MBs, and the storage might have been 1 GB.

Anyone else?

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Atari 800 with dual external floppy drives. Next was the Compaq luggable. weighed over 30 pounds if memory serves, Yes, I'm an old guy.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Atari 800 with dual external floppy drives. Next was the Compaq luggable. weighed over 30 pounds if memory serves, Yes, I'm an old guy.
I remember seeing a YouTube video of someone building a modern PC in an old console case. I'm pretty sure it was an Atari.

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Link: https://forums.imore.com/general-apple-news-discussion/412459-we-have-come-long-way.html

This thread started due to someone finding an Apple 2e in their attic, and fired it up. The first thread sparked the one I linked, which was a discussion of the first computer everyone got.

I figured why not start the same here?

My first experience with computers was with an Apple 2e. My first computer was about 10 years later, and was a Compaq Presario. I can't remember the specs exactly, but I'm pretty sure the RAM was in the MBs, and the storage might have been 1 GB.

Anyone else?

Kaypro 10, it was: Xmas, 1983 present to myself -2 years into microcomputer history. I worked in a research operation at the time, and one of the lead guys had brought in a Kaypro II earlier in the year. These early Kaypros ran CP/M OS, my only and last non-Windows OS computing device. The 10 featured a 10 MEGAbyte hard drive!! One of the very first truly portable ("luggable") computers to come with a hard drive. It cost about $3000, and for years that was the price of the state-of-the-art PC. Years later, I lent it to a priest friend, Charlie, who never returned it.

Kaypro was slow to move to MS/DOS and soon lost to Compaq in the luggable PC market.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism