PCIe 4.0 Devices and PCIe 3 backward compatibility

GraniteStateColin

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Richard Devine's recent post indicated that PCIe 4.0 devices are not compatible with older motherboards. I think (but welcome feedback and correction if I'm wrong) that the issues is simply that PCIe 4.0 devices are limited to PCIe 3 speeds on older motherboards, but that they will actually work.

I think the confusion comes from the fact that AMD had originally said it expected to be able to update its more recent PCIe 3 MoBos to PCIe 4.0, but then reversed course on that and announced they would not be able to do that reliably. So it is correct to say that PCIe 3 motherboards can't be updated to run at PCIe 4. I think this has been misinterpreted to mean that PCIe 4 is not compatible with PCIe 3 interfaces.

According to an article on Tom's Hardware (https://www.tomshardware.com/news/what-we-know-about-pcie4,39063.html), "The PCIe standard maintains both backward and forward compatibility with older and newer specifications via both software and mechanical interface. In other words, PCIe 3.0 cards will work on motherboards that support PCIe 4.0, and PCIe 4.0 cards will also work on PCIe 3.0 motherboards, but they are limited to the performance of the PCIe 3.0 interface."

Do you believe this is wrong, and the PCIe 4.0 devices really won't run at all on PCIe 3 MoBos? I confess, other than the information I've seen on Tom's Hardware and a few other hardware sites (possibly all from the same original source), I don't really know for sure.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire