Need help - ideal device for everyday work

ViktorOTitov

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Dear colleagues! I am searching for one device for everyday work. I am working with tons of emails and different types of docs (Word, Excel, PP, Acrobat, etc.). What can You suggest to buy?
I have iMac at home and Windows PC in the office, but I have realized, that I’m always out of office and home, work “on the road”.
Now I am using the iPhone XS Max with smart battery case, but seems for me, that I need bigger screen and keyboard to be more productive.
Thinking about Surface Laptop 2 vs Book 2 vs Pro 6. But I need Your suggestions.

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
Dear colleagues! I am searching for one device for everyday work. I am working with tons of emails and different types of docs (Word, Excel, PP, Acrobat, etc.). What can You suggest to buy?
I have iMac at home and Windows PC in the office, but I have realized, that I’m always out of office and home, work “on the road”.
Now I am using the iPhone XS Max with smart battery case, but seems for me, that I need bigger screen and keyboard to be more productive.
Thinking about Surface Laptop 2 vs Book 2 vs Pro 6. But I need Your suggestions.
, get a Pro or oem clone (HP, Dell, Thinkpad all have interesting variants if they are on sale), if you like the form factor (tablet + kickstand + keyboard).
Get the Laptop (or a convertible laptop) if you want the laptop form factor. Basically the Laptop is better on the lap, the Pro is better for note taking or showing your work to others or using it as you would use a pro tablet.
You should be able to find bargains or sales for both of them. And get one from a shop which has good warranty (good rep), since Surface products like Macbooks (or Ipads) are glued together you will want good warranty just in case.

For Office productivity I would definitely get a Surface Pro over an Ipad (Pro) especially because of the better keyboard and handy kickstand.

Last edited:

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site

Ultra thin laptop. Surface laptop may do. You want lots of ram for multitasking (8gb), and a competent CPU for good performace, as well as an SSD. The proper laptop keys will be better for bashing out emails and typing.

However, if you want high portability, you'll be concerned with the overall screen size/dimension as well.

And if battery life is an issue, you might consider windows on arm. All the core apps will be native, so good performance, and the battery life there is something else.

ipad doesn't even enter into the equation if you are editing a lot - no mouse, worse keyboard, worse multitasking.

Although I think the size is almost right. Something about 13-14 inches is probably ideal for portability. Something HP perhaps in windows on arm?

I'm thinking something like Lenovo Yoga C630. Sure it has below average performance with x86 apps, but office and email are all ARM compiled. 13.3 inches, always connected, outstanding battery life, full laptop keyboard and you can opt for the 8gb model for performance.

It's keyboard isn't the best in the world, but it's full sized, backlit and will kick a 2 in 1's arse any day. It also has thunderbolt 3, so you can dock it, and if you ever want to use it as a tablet, or tent it, the option is there.

You'll always be online, instantly turn it on, have full office suite, it'll be light, small and when you get home or to work, you can plug it in to a monitor and full dock and keep running.

Last edited:

ViktorOTitov

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Ultra thin laptop. Surface laptop may do. You want lots of ram for multitasking (8gb), and a competent CPU for good performace, as well as an SSD. The proper laptop keys will be better for bashing out emails and typing.

However, if you want high portability, you'll be concerned with the overall screen size/dimension as well.

And if battery life is an issue, you might consider windows on arm. All the core apps will be native, so good performance, and the battery life there is something else.

ipad doesn't even enter into the equation if you are editing a lot - no mouse, worse keyboard, worse multitasking.

Although I think the size is almost right. Something about 13-14 inches is probably ideal for portability. Something HP perhaps in windows on arm?

I'm thinking something like Lenovo Yoga C630. Sure it has below average performance with x86 apps, but office and email are all ARM compiled. 13.3 inches, always connected, outstanding battery life, full laptop keyboard and you can opt for the 8gb model for performance.

It's keyboard isn't the best in the world, but it's full sized, backlit and will kick a 2 in 1's arse any day. It also has thunderbolt 3, so you can dock it, and if you ever want to use it as a tablet, or tent it, the option is there.

You'll always be online, instantly turn it on, have full office suite, it'll be light, small and when you get home or to work, you can plug it in to a monitor and full dock and keep running.

Thank You very much! Now I am thinking about Surface Pro 6. Much versatile, than Surface Laptop. The keyboard is amazing too, I have red about it in reviews.
Do You think, that Lenovo C630 or any other laptop on ARM processor will suit me better, than Surface Pro 6? What about Surface Go? And what do You think about using Samsung Dex? The Note10 plus is coming in August. Maybe switch my iPhone XS Plus to this device?
Many thanks!

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Thank You very much! Now I am thinking about Surface Pro 6. Much versatile, than Surface Laptop. The keyboard is amazing too, I have red about it in reviews.
Do You think, that Lenovo C630 or any other laptop on ARM processor will suit me better, than Surface Pro 6? What about Surface Go? And what do You think about using Samsung Dex? The Note10 plus is coming in August. Maybe switch my iPhone XS Plus to this device?
Many thanks!

Well if you are always going to be sitting down at a desk when you type, then a 2 in 1 is fine if the keyboard is good. But if you might end up perching it on your knee or lap, they are pretty annoying to use that way.

I have a 2 in 1, and it's great, but if I was travelling with it, and typing on it a lot, I'd need to think about a surface for it to sit on. Just depends on your useage. It is slightly more portable, but the ultrathin laptops are not far off.

I'm suggesting a windows on ARM, because the energy effeciency of ARM chips is better than intel. This makes the battery life pretty killer. But whether that's important depends on how long you need to go between charges, and how much you need to use your device between charges. The surface products do have pretty good battery life on their own.

If you'd be inclined to type on the thing all day, in a range of locations, arm might be worth a thought. I still think you get a decent 6+ hours from well tuned intel laptops and hybrids, so just depends on how much work you are doing.

Samsung Dex I haven't used. But of course the problem with that is you need a keyboard, mouse, and monitor, and can't use it like a laptop when it's without those things. Whereas a portable laptop device can do both. I mean, if you do presentations on the go, or are frequently in other peoples offices, perhaps there's a use case for that.

I also haven't used iOS, so I can't compare their Microsoft support to Android, which is pretty good. The note however is based around stylus use, and that could be handy for jotting down notes.

ViktorOTitov

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Well if you are always going to be sitting down at a desk when you type, then a 2 in 1 is fine if the keyboard is good. But if you might end up perching it on your knee or lap, they are pretty annoying to use that way.

I have a 2 in 1, and it's great, but if I was travelling with it, and typing on it a lot, I'd need to think about a surface for it to sit on. Just depends on your useage. It is slightly more portable, but the ultrathin laptops are not far off.

I'm suggesting a windows on ARM, because the energy effeciency of ARM chips is better than intel. This makes the battery life pretty killer. But whether that's important depends on how long you need to go between charges, and how much you need to use your device between charges. The surface products do have pretty good battery life on their own.

If you'd be inclined to type on the thing all day, in a range of locations, arm might be worth a thought. I still think you get a decent 6+ hours from well tuned intel laptops and hybrids, so just depends on how much work you are doing.

Samsung Dex I haven't used. But of course the problem with that is you need a keyboard, mouse, and monitor, and can't use it like a laptop when it's without those things. Whereas a portable laptop device can do both. I mean, if you do presentations on the go, or are frequently in other peoples offices, perhaps there's a use case for that.

I also haven't used iOS, so I can't compare their Microsoft support to Android, which is pretty good. The note however is based around stylus use, and that could be handy for jotting down notes.

Thank You! What is the best laptop/tablet on ARM? Lenovo?

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Thank You! What is the best laptop/tablet on ARM? Lenovo?

I haven't looked at them all, to compare. Most of them are 2 in 1s, laptops are rarer so far. Put windows in arm into the search on the mainpage, and i'm sure they'll compare some of them. I know there's a new chip coming out if you wanted to wait for the christmas season, there will probably be some new stuff.

ViktorOTitov

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Dear friends! Thank You very much for Your suggestions and recommendations. I have ordered MS Surface Laptop 2 in Black color. Waiting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3