So, I helped my old work with their printer while I visited and was given two laptops for my services (didn't expect to get paid since I offered to help). They said that the laptops were broken and couldn't be fixed. I unplugged the battery and plugged it back it on one laptop and it worked. However, the other laptop's hard drive was fried. It powers on, but because there is no hard drive, so it says there's no hard drive.

I installed a hard drive that I had and it works, but is really slow. It has 4gb of ram and a Intel Pentium Silver N5000 processor at 1.1 ghz, but can boost to 2.7 ghz.

TL;DR: Laptop is slow and want to upgrade

Should I spend about $250 on 500gb ssd, 16gb ram, Windows 10, and a new power adapter or should I buy a new laptop? I have an Xbox One X, so I wouldn't be gaming on, but would like to have a laptop of my own since I gave my older laptop to my parents. It would be helpful to use a laptop for game help and basic tasks like making excel and word documents and watching YouTube. It's about a $300 laptap as well, but I would rather fix what I have then have two laptops, one of which doesn't work. It would have better components than buying new, so I wouldn't mind upgrading.
    08-20-2019 01:41 AM
    I would suggest installing a cheaper SSD something like a 120 gig ssd and reducing the ram down to 8 (as according intel's specs for that CPU it only supports 8 gigs) plus you won't recoup much of the costs if you are planning to resell later.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us...-2-70-ghz.html

However, if you aren't planning to resell later than go for the 500 Gig ssd. There is the option of buying a cheaper ssd down line to replace it when you resell but that's an additional cost spent on the laptop.

I had quick look on Amazon.com and found an Western Digital Blue SSD (500gigs) for $68 0.0.

To be honest, I personally don't buy any other ssds than Samsungs Evos as the Crucial ssds I have gotten didn't last that long. My current one is effectively on it's last legs and I got that pretty cheap at the time of purchase via Amazon's lightning deal when Crucial where going through a major stock clearance. The current one is a third replacement of the initial purchase which gave up pretty quick.

So don't know how far you'd get with Western Digital Blue SSD - you need to bear in mind unless that product is being sold at a substantial loss or it has ridiculously cheap components.

If you don't trust high street vendors then I'd go for the upgrade option, you can get pretty good bargains if you know where to look for PC / Laptop components.

Edit: Well I'll be...Just had quick look through Amazon.co.uk.

SSD prices have dropped quite abit when I looked just over a month ago lol.
    HeyCori likes this.
    08-20-2019 02:38 PM