Options for small tablets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EFats

May 6, 2018
Visit site
By small I mean 7" or 8" display, something along the size of the iPad Mini.
I found Chuwi Hi8 Pro, but that seems to be discontinued and not so easy to get (besides a pretty horrid battery life, even Chuwi claims only about 3 hours video playback whereas the iPad Mini is touting 10 hours and even my ancient BlackBerry Playbook can do way more than 3 hours).

And yes, I specifically want it to be running Windows 10, not Android. Otherwise I might as well just go with the iPad Mini. I need to support certain specialty apps that run Windows only.

Don't need to be all that powerful, I won't be playing many games on it. I just need email, web, browsing and decent video/audio playback. Do not need cellular capable as I expect to always have my phone with me.

Any options in 2020?

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
By small I mean 7" or 8" display, something along the size of the iPad Mini.
I found Chuwi Hi8 Pro, but that seems to be discontinued and not so easy to get (besides a pretty horrid battery life, even Chuwi claims only about 3 hours video playback whereas the iPad Mini is touting 10 hours and even my ancient BlackBerry Playbook can do way more than 3 hours).

And yes, I specifically want it to be running Windows 10, not Android. Otherwise I might as well just go with the iPad Mini. I need to support certain specialty apps that run Windows only.

Don't need to be all that powerful, I won't be playing many games on it. I just need email, web, browsing and decent video/audio playback. Do not need cellular capable as I expect to always have my phone with me.

Any options in 2020?
, I think it would be better to await a new wave of small Windows tablets since the old ones all have outdated atom cpu's (iirc Windows will not give them updates eventually) and probably bad batteries. Intel did announce a new Intel low powered cpu so most likely that will be a breath of fresh air in the Windows tablet market (at the very least some Chinese models).

If you cannot wait than another idea might be getting a Dell Venue 8 Pro 5000 and replace the battery if needed (order the battery from a shop with a good rep since they might be drained partly, here is a guide to replace the battery -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBOYMLVvJBY ).

If you want something even smaller than maybe a Ockel Computers Sirius A, they seem somewhat expensive though for what you get but on the bright side they offer lots of ports. Battery might not be big enough.

EFats

May 6, 2018
Visit site
I would take a Thinkpad 8 tablet if I could find one of those! Yeah, I know they're old, but that seems to be just what I want. However, I've only found one example for sale online and it was pretty beat up.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I would take a Thinkpad 8 tablet if I could find one of those! Yeah, I know they're old, but that seems to be just what I want. However, I've only found one example for sale online and it was pretty beat up.
Just throwing this out there, but I have an HP 608 8 inch tablet that I've only owned for around 3 months. I don't use it really. Was a bit of an impulse buy. Running W10, USB C, 4 gigs of RAM I'm pretty sure. I want to say it has 128 gigs of storage too. I'll have to look, but I think the model I have is the 4G gsm model, although I'm not sure in what region it would work best in. If you're interested, send me a pm and we can discuss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo